Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If that connector is there, you can make a LOT of aftermarket accessories such as a hdmi out connector
    I'd prefer a HDMI port for less hassle mind.

Although, the magnetic port is nice for keeping the tablet a little more sleek.
    There may be the idea to then get rid of the micro usb port then so we'd be stuck in special connector land
    This is actually a good idea but only if they include the other ports too. This would be a great port functionality. It could be used in docks and other accessories. Just think... the "HP WebOS Synergy Connector" great idea, just hope HP is reading this thread.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Would you have both a micro-usb port and a magnetic port?

Because just the mag-port, like on the veer, is plain stupid.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    The problem is, they'd have to design yet another new port. The magnetic port on the Veer is just a standard USB connection, but in a different shape. Just as there are currently no micro-USB to HDMI adapters, there could be no Veer to HDMI adapters, either. To add that kind of functionality, they'd either have to have multiple ports on the device (such as micro USB, micro HDMI, and whatever else), or design a new proprietary connector similar to what Apple did with it's dock connector.

I'm a big fan of sticking to standards, so I'd really rather see the first option. I don't mind having multiple ports on the phone, if they're all useful. The dock connector is brilliant for it's simplicity, but the fact that you need specific, Apple-approved adapters for everything makes it a pain in the *** for anyone but casual users.
    to be honest I'd probably be happier if there was just the ports themselves on the tablet. Dont get into this proprietary stuff more than you have to. Besides what would be ideal is if the touchstone took care of the "dock" connector business and have the hdmi ports there.

Another option is to have a wireless dongle type thing packaged with the tablet and then build in the wireless tech into the touchpad.
    If you forget a cable and are going through any major airport, they have HDMI and micro USB cables for Android, BlackBerry, and WinMo7 plus Apple cables. What do you do if you misplaced your magnet?

Apple could come out with a magnet cable on the iPhone 5 or iPhone Nano and everyone would stock it because the market would be huge. But why would Apple do that?
    same reason they made a custom power connector and won't let iGo or others license it to built products. So if you lose your ac adapter, better hope there is an apple store close and open. Radio shack won't be able help. Why would apple do such a thing?
    No more proprietary ports, please.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I'd rather have a headphone jack in the Veer. ;-)
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by XiXora View Post
    I'd prefer a HDMI port for less hassle mind.

Although, the magnetic port is nice for keeping the tablet a little more sleek.
    There may be the idea to then get rid of the micro usb port then so we'd be stuck in special connector land
    Apple has a single proprietary port on all their iOS devices and it's worked out well for them. Companies even pay them royalties to have the ability to use it (made for iPod/iPhone/iPad devices).
    No thanks! Standard connectors for me please.

also, the veer has the custom magnetic connector mainly cos they could not make enough space inside for the real connections. Its not a feature, more a monstrocity !
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    No thanks! Standard connectors for me please.

also, the veer has the custom magnetic connector mainly cos they could not make enough space inside for the real connections. Its not a feature, more a monstrocity !
    Maybe you guys misunderstood me..

HAVE a 3.5mm jack and a micro usb port in addition to the magnetic strip.

The magnetic strip thus allows you to use many different types of accessories, like music docks, hdmi out, hook up to projectors etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    same reason they made a custom power connector and won't let iGo or others license it to built products. So if you lose your ac adapter, better hope there is an apple store close and open. Radio shack won't be able help. Why would apple do such a thing?
    The Apple proprietary cables are all about high profit margins. They patent their connectors. Others can't sell it. Apple can charge anything they want.

So an Official Xoom micro HDMI cable from Verizon is a huge ripoff at $25.

Apple charged $40 for the connector you need and then you still need the cable.

The Micro HDMI cables at monoprice are $4-$8 for lengths from 1.5 to 15 feet. I have had great success with monoprice HDMI, USB, Ethernet, and other cables for years. I think they tend to be much higher quality that almost anything else on the market.

But even Monoprice does not dare sell an Apple cable.
    I fail to see the benefit of a magnetic port-type deal for dongles compared to any of the numerous USB form-factor ports. That would just smack as having a proprietary port for the sake of charging your customers an inflated fee for a proprietary cable/adapter.

Using a surface contact connection for high data transfer (HDMI-out) specifically in regards to a docking station/charging stand wouldn't be a bad idea though. (although there should still be a dedicated HDMI/vga port for use without the "docking station" if HP was serious about making these things "business class."

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I fail to see the benefit of a magnetic port-type deal for dongles compared to any of the numerous USB form-factor ports. That would just smack as having a proprietary port for the sake of charging your customers an inflated fee for a proprietary cable/adapter.
    The reason it is on the veer is that the micro usb and 3.5mm headset jacks are too big for the device. Another benefit is that it reduces the mechanical stress on the system board since any force that could damage a traditional port would cause the magnetic connector to harmlessly break away. There are also no relatively big holes that need a cover to keep dust and liquid out of the connectors.

Given how the magnetic charging connectors have been received on their line of laptops, I would have thought Apple would have been the first to introduce connectors like this on their mobile products.
    I woudnt mind having this if it means more room for battery. I could do without the headset port, after all I don't carry headsets as most other people. However since micro usb is a widely adopted standard, I would want that port on so I could charge my phone with other peoples chargers, lol. Then again if everyone were to adopt this port as a standard then by all means go for it and put in an even bigger battery in the pre_xx.
    the little magnetic adapter connects to any standard micro-usb cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    The reason it is on the veer is that the micro usb and 3.5mm headset jacks are too big for the device.
    Given the forum we are in, I thought it went without saying that we were talking about tablets and not the veer.

The dongle on the veer is understandable, regrettable, but understandable. On a tablet it would be a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Another benefit is that it reduces the mechanical stress on the system board since any force that could damage a traditional port would cause the magnetic connector to harmlessly break away.
    Amazed how the electronics world have lasted this long with these damage prone connectors. I'm sure this fancy new interface called USB will fail before it even takes off what with this glaring damage potential.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the little magnetic adapter connects to any standard micro-usb cable.
    Yeah, but now wherever you have/use a micro-usb connection, you'll either have to buy some of these proprietary magnetic dongles or carry it around separate.

Not earth stopping, but not convenient either.

-Suntan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast