Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65
  1.    #1  
    This isn't just the argument that webOS has little big-name apps. I've been seeing around the Internets on tablet comparisons that the Touchpad will have an unknown number of apps. Why? We know all Mojo apps will work. Are they only counting tablet-specific apps?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  2. #2  
    Pretty sure they mean apps worth mentioning, in a tablet context.

    That said, I do think HP will come out of the gate strong on apps for the TP. Kindle is all but confirmed. Wasn't there a Netflix mention as well?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    This isn't just the argument that webOS has little big-name apps. I've been seeing around the Internets on tablet comparisons that the Touchpad will have an unknown number of apps. Why? We know all Mojo apps will work. Are they only counting tablet-specific apps?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think they are only counting tablet specific apps.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I think they are only counting tablet specific apps.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I thought that mojo apps will NOT work with the enyo framework... so as of TODAY THEYRE ARE 0 APPS for the touchpad which is based on enyo...

    Also, we need high quality apps, not like 90% of the appstore today
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I thought that mojo apps will NOT work with the enyo framework... so as of TODAY THEYRE ARE 0 APPS for the touchpad which is based on enyo...
    WHY THE SHOUTING?

    Mojo apps will run in an emulator on the TP, with virtual gesture area.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I thought that mojo apps will NOT work with the enyo framework... so as of TODAY THEYRE ARE 0 APPS for the touchpad which is based on enyo...

    Also, we need high quality apps, not like 90% of the appstore today
    Actually, that's incorrect. Mojo apps can run on the TP but they won’t be able to access all of the scalable UI that is Enyo. It just makes more sense to port over the Mojo apps to the Enyo framework. Otherwise, you'll have to run the mojo apps in a Simulation window (in order for the gesture area commands to function).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7. #7  
    I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing down talk about our app catalog quality. I have to emphatically disagree that 90% of the apps are of other than "quality". I think that we do need some more big name ones that we are sorely missing (ie netflix, hulu, onebox app, etc), but really after seeing the app catalog for the competition it's just higher quantities of the same repetitive "cr-apps" if that's what you want to lump them all under. But I personally have downloaded over 200 apps from our catalog, mixture of paid and free, and none of them are sound boards, fart machines, phone spoofers, or ebooks. Of these that I've tried, I have to say they were all decent, and at least half were of high quality. I'm not whining, to the contrary, I would like for once to say I'm not too disappointed with our app count/catalog. Of course we could use some improvemet, but I wouldn't trade "up" to android just to have "more" apps. How many does a person use on average anyways. I have about 90 installed, and use maybe 20 regularly. Bleh, w/e.... </rant>....
  8. #8  
    You have to remember, it's a dead platform they are trying to get more Dev's for and the more they boast the platform the better things should theoretically get.

    "yes I said dead platform". "I feel it's been way to long".

    & why do you keep referring to the TouchPad as TP, you do know TP stands for Toilet Paper!
    Last edited by demetry14; 04/20/2011 at 01:42 AM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  9. #9  
    I think HP's power will come through here, I think that they will come out of the gate strong in regards of big name apps that people want. This is not one of my fears for the touchpad
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing down talk about our app catalog quality.
    just went out to Farmer's Insurance to see if they have an app for WebOS. Not there, however one available for Android and Apple. so for me, this is a minus. Sorry. It's about apps that matter in our day to day life, not a version on PONG being available

    However, not a sprint at this stage, so I'm cool with giving HP the time to see if WebOS will take off or fade away. We'll have a good idea when the initial numbers come in on all three devices at the end of the summer.
  11. #11  
    believe me I do understand that frustration.... I have no chase bank app or USAA app either, but I do have a bank of america app... and mobile sites are okay for the other two for now. What would be great is to get Onebox by J2 global on board (the efax/evoice people). And for reference I have only 3 games installed... the rest are pretty much productivity/utilities/financial/social/location-based...
  12. #12  
    There are a few apps I'd like to see (eg Kindle), but mostly I'm pretty satisfied with what is available. One thing I've begun to notice is links on mobile sites to download the webOS app. I'm seeing more and more of this, which makes me think the wave is starting to grow and gather momentum.
  13. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #13  
    Apps are so user specific that there will never be a consensus on this.

    Me personally, I don't need apps to make web information easier to gather. With a good web browser, I am good. But this is me and your needs may differ.

    However, I would consider good app development and acceptance by the community when apps that provide a service are more prevalent (Kindle, Netflix, etc.) and cloud connectivity is seamless. These are apps I would pay for, not an app that makes web browsing easier.
    Dan
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #14  
    Apps are so user specific that there will never be a consensus on this.
    Which is why you need the long tail, WebOS does not have a long tail.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which is why you need the long tail, WebOS does not have a long tail.
    Honestly, I'm not sure which they try to fix first: the entire categories of apps missing or the paltry selection in most of them.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    believe me I do understand that frustration.... I have no chase bank app or USAA app either, but I do have a bank of america app... and mobile sites are okay for the other two for now. What would be great is to get Onebox by J2 global on board (the efax/evoice people). And for reference I have only 3 games installed... the rest are pretty much productivity/utilities/financial/social/location-based...
    It may be just me, but I would never use an app for banking. To me that's just opening up the gate to more ID theft issues in our lives.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Apps are so user specific that there will never be a consensus on this.

    Me personally, I don't need apps to make web information easier to gather. With a good web browser, I am good. But this is me and your needs may differ.

    However, I would consider good app development and acceptance by the community when apps that provide a service are more prevalent (Kindle, Netflix, etc.) and cloud connectivity is seamless. These are apps I would pay for, not an app that makes web browsing easier.
    I would like to see a larger catalog size, but like you, I am fine with most of what's available on the web.

    My bank has a nice mobile web page that does what I need... So I can't take a picture of a check to deposit from my phone, do I really need to… No. I get paid twice a month and every time I just so happen to be at work with a scanner at my desk that allows me to deposit my check online without the need for a phone app. Other than that, the only checks I might get are rebates, which again, I get rebates when I am at home with a scanner available.

    I have been debating making the Android jump because of the number of apps, but I asked myself, what apps do I need that are available on Android and not on webOS? For the life of me I can't think of one that I need. My phone does what I need it to.

    It's not used for work, so I have not needed a document editor; however one is on the way with 2.x. which I may or may not purchase.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    just went out to Farmer's Insurance to see if they have an app for WebOS. Not there, however one available for Android and Apple. so for me, this is a minus. Sorry. It's about apps that matter in our day to day life, not a version on PONG being available

    However, not a sprint at this stage, so I'm cool with giving HP the time to see if WebOS will take off or fade away. We'll have a good idea when the initial numbers come in on all three devices at the end of the summer.
    How do you access Farmer's Insurance from your house? Computer+Browser? And there in lies the rub (and the evil plot) of "i-devices". Because sir Jobs refutes flash, NORMAL websites that would be commonly used now have..."apps" to allow the i-masses to access a site that their precious device cannot see natively. 40% of the internet is a lot of missing content...



    But I digress...
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #19  
    How do you access Farmer's Insurance from your house? Computer+Browser? And there in lies the rub (and the evil plot) of "i-devices". Because sir Jobs refutes flash, NORMAL websites that would be commonly used now have..."apps" to allow the i-masses to access a site that their precious device cannot see natively. 40% of the internet is a lot of missing content...
    I don't understand your point? Flash is pretty crappy on mobile, so how would it help me as an android user (which flash is sorta available for but is completely awful) who is using the Farmer Insurance on my android device. Why would I perfer to use a browser on my phone than a custom designed android app?
  20. #20  
    TouchPad very going to be very expensive web browser if you think TouchPad doesn't need any apps.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions