Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Apple wants to sell people on the idea of an app for every site and they are succeeding however that is a very short term solution. They are trying to change the mindset of users. How soon will we feel ok to pay for an app to access content on the web available freely otherwise .
    Don't forget that Apple tried selling the "web" with the initial release of the iPhone; it was the users that pushed them to develop the app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    This is a big problem for people to understand. The apps are not going to be in an Emulator. They will be Emulated on the TouchPad. Yes it sounds like I just repeated my self but the Mojo apps will work as a regular app on the TouchPad with no 'emulator' there. Just a back end one built into the depths of the TouchPad.
    Thanks for the clarification. From a user-experience standpoint, what's the difference between the two?
    I think you're all arguing over something that doesn't have a right or wrong answer.

I don't care about app count, but at the same time, I've got about 7 or 8 things that a tablet will have to be able to do, and do elegantly, before I will consider buying it. Whether it is handled in a browser, an OS app or a downloaded app matter little to me.

Simple as that.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Don't forget that Apple tried selling the "web" with the initial release of the iPhone; it was the users that pushed them to develop the app store.
    The users were requesting what the web couldn't do, especially on that phone at the time.

Now Apple is trying to oversell the value of "apps".
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The users were requesting what the web couldn't do, especially on that phone at the time.

I would say that Apple is successful in overselling the value of apps. I think the arguments here are good ones, but ultimately if consumers want apps, a device better have apps if it wants to be successful.
    What consumers want is part practicality of their use and a much larger part what marketing tells them to want. It's an unfortunate truth and Apple has been doing an impressive job playing it the last few years.

So the other companies either follow suite or start leveraging better marketing to combat the "there's an app for that" marketing.

Until mobile web sites can compete in speed, ui and integration apps are the way to go.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    They already can.

Like I said earlier, there is a short list of things to look at to decide if you NEED an app. A very large number of "apps" that people use don't need to be apps and in fact would be better as web portals because they'd be cross platform and reduce development costs.
    They already can.

Like I said earlier, there is a short list of things to look at to decide if you NEED an app. A very large number of "apps" that people use don't need to be apps and in fact would be better as web portals because they'd be cross platform and reduce development costs.
    They're close, but not quite there yet. The beauty of developing a native app is the experience is designed for a specific platform. A lot of these web-frameworks that we're seeing that promote "web apps" vs native have an iOS-centric feel and look to them, which feels strange on Android and webOS.

Ex: jQuery Mobile: Demos and Documentation
    ***Guys... please stay on the topic of HP and not Apple. If you wish to compare those companies and products, there are already many threads in Cross-Platform. This is about HP and their apps.
    They already can.

Do you know of any examples I can check out on my pre or android device?

I'd love a good web app that can go between any platform but I haven't seen any that compare to device specific apps. The facebook app for example is so much better than the mobile web version.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ***Guys... please stay on the topic of HP and not Apple. If you wish to compare those companies and products, there are already many threads in Cross-Platform. This is about HP and their apps.
    On that note, I wonder if people here are going to hold them to their "tens of thousands of apps" by the "the time we ship" promise. They claim to already have the developers committed. I'm not seeing the app catalog moving at a pace that would get them to over 20,000 by August.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    For an example of a cool "web app" check out the twitter client "Hahlo" at Hahlo 4.2.2. The developer has done a great job, IMO. Looks great on iOS and webOS.
    The touch version of YouTube is another really good example.

For anyone that wants to read an article about this topic: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/01/26/making-it-a-mobile-web-app/
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    For an example of a cool "web app" check out the twitter client "Hahlo" at Hahlo 4.2.2. The developer has done a great job, IMO. Looks great on iOS and webOS.
    Just gave Hahlo a try; while it's great, it still feels too web-like. Personally, I prefer a more native feel & style.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. From a user-experience standpoint, what's the difference between the two?
    Nothing really. Except that there won't be a gesture area but 2 soft-buttons in each corner for swiping back and forth.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I think apps are basically patches for what the OS can't do. The purpose for apps in this day in age is to create functionality without the company having to do it themselves, which would take along time. Apps are a very easy and quick way to create functionality. The iPhone's OS is nothing really (not to be harsh) but what makes iOS are the apps. I like what Ruby said in a few interviews at the Think Beyond Event, of how his vision of the future without apps. His goal is to take in all the functionality of major useful apps and deeply integrate them within WebOS. He has started with Skype, which looks very well integrated.

Just think of the future WebOS having every 'app' you love, deeply integrated within WebOS. Twitter, Facebook, Skype, eBooks, YouTube, QuickOffice, Google Voice, Restaurant Finders (*cough*), and more will all be apart of the OS itself and will be just natural to use. That will be the future reigning OS, one that will do everything itself. Taking out the hardship of finding apps you want or need, and having to launch them, then use them to do what you want.

Yes I will say there will still be apps that do stuff that is to customizable for the OS to do. Specifically there will always be a games market. But if you think about it, the Operating Systems today don't do much. They just emulate apps which actually do what we want it to do. WebOS has, what I think, taken the first big step away from this by implementing 'Just Type' which will do many of the daily tasks that we all do. For the apps that are not apart of the OS, it gives it a chance to deeply integrate itself into WebOS and be able to use the 'Just Type' plugins.
    Last edited by Rennat; 03/06/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    ... you'll have to run the mojo apps in a Simulation window (in order for the gesture area commands to function).
    And here is the main problem. Current apps are not native to the new system. Having to run a program to be able to run an app just slows things down, and creates the opportunity for issues and glitches. I truly want this pad to be something special. However, a reasonable number of "native" apps need to be available upon launch of the Touchpad, or this will be another fiasco (ready, fire, aim).

I agree with another poster who said that HP/Palm should have gotten the developers together well before the announcementof the device, to get them onboard, excited, and working on native apps for the touchpad. At least a June - Sept launch will give developers some time to work things out... I hope.
    uh... no. apps are actually the programs that run and utilitize the OS.

lol... you are giving your wish list of what should be included in memory... not my wish list. and they dont run any better by having them embedded the way you want... they still have to be executed so they just take up space. btw, they are still apps. sounds like verizons vision of preloading crap people didnt want on their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I think apps are basically patches for what the OS can't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    uh... no. apps are actually the programs that run and utilitize the OS.

lol... you are giving your wish list of what should be included in memory... not my wish list. and they dont run any better by having them embedded the way you want... they still have to be executed so they just take up space. btw, they are still apps. sounds like verizons vision of preloading crap people didnt want on their phones.
    No, you don't get it. They won't be 'apps'. They will be embedded into the core OS such as they way Skype is into the Phone 'app'. However, the phone app is not needed to be launched. Infact, the only reason I ever launch it now is for the call history. I use Just Type. I meant stuff like Facebook and twitter being fused with the core text 'app' to create a unified Social Hub, per say, but yet again the app is not needed to be launched to navigate to what you want. Youtube would be fused with the core videos 'app', yet again not needed to be technically a stand along app. It could also be apart of Just Type in the way that you could browse videos and launch them specifically in the Just Type window without leaving it.

You get it now? It is basically taking out all of the navigating, long lists, and work you have to do to get to the information you want. It is almost like the new Winfone 7 commercial, were they can take a picture or do a task faster and without having to 'navigate' to do it.
    - John Wayne
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast