Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rennat
  1.    #1  
    Brilliant! It turns your tablet into a laptop (and increases battery life). Also, the one with the slideout keyboard tablet is cool too.

Best of all? It's selling in April for $399.
    (Tablet part weighs 680 grams, 13mm thick, 10.1" screen, HDMI-out, 1.2mp front camera, 5mp rear camera, 1g RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2, SD card reader! (microSD/SDHC on tablet, USB and full size SD/MMC on keyboard))

ASUS Campus Life

Last edited by 6tr6tr; 03/03/2011 at 03:11 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You can offer a bluetooth keyboard for use on multiple devices for about $50 rather than this kind of unitasker.

Yeah but four things are not as good about that:

1. The keyboard dock has a touchpad mouse in it (better than always reaching across keyboard to click on things, etc)

2. You have to carry both separate items which can be a pain, whereas the keyboard dock is attached to the tablet and protects it (so a cover's not needed)

3. It doubles the battery life (the dock)

4. It adds USB slots and a full SD card slot (instead of just microSD)
    sounds like you need a toucscreen laptop if you expect all that out of your "tablet"
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    In a world where consumers rule... And marketing rules consumers.

2010: "they took the keyboard off a laptop? REVOLUTIONARY! Must have!"
    2011: "they took a tablet and added a clip-on keyboard? GENIUS! Where do I buy?"

I'll stick with a touchstone and generic bluetooth keyboard. Maybe that HP TouchPad keyboard if it's competitively priced and readily available. Not so much if not.
  5.    #5  
    The reason this is so brilliant? I want a tablet computer and have no problem with virtual keyboards. My GF hates virtual keyboards and prefers a laptop. So far, only the Asus Transformer is perfect for both.
    why not just carry a laptop?
    <This Page is Blank>
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You can offer a bluetooth keyboard for use on multiple devices for about $50-$75 rather than this kind of unitasker.

There was a lot of excitement about the Atrix at CES but my guess is the device will probably be a flop with consumers. It's just too much assembly and cost to try to make something that isn't even a half-assed netbook.
    I always hate the "just use a BT keyboard" suggestion, it really is a terrible compromise. Using a keyboard requires you to prop up the tablet somehow especially if you're using one of those cheap $50 keyboards. Second, it's two batteries you NEED to charge that actually suck power down faster than if you had the two batteries operating with a direct port link so the battery in the keyboard could actually feed into the tablet so when you're done with the keyboard the tablet could still be at near full charge.

As for the Atrix, the concept is ok but the real killer with that is all the fees for it, particularly when its' docked you can't use your standard data package you have to use a "tethering" package.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Brilliant! It turns your tablet into a laptop (and increases battery life). Also, the one with the slideout keyboard tablet is cool too.

Best of all? It's selling in April for $399.
    (Tablet part weighs 680 grams, 13mm thick, 10.1" screen, HDMI-out, 1.2mp front camera, 5mp rear camera, 1g RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2, SD card reader! (microSD/SDHC on tablet, USB and full size SD/MMC on keyboard))

ASUS Campus Life

The question I have is, since the reference is from their Campus Life feed, is that the consumer price including the dock or is that a student price?
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 03/03/2011 at 03:59 PM.
    As far as battery life goes, I don't think the TouchPad will have much problems with it. It has about the same size battery as the iPad2's and the Processor can not only dynamically clock it self but it can actually turn off a core when not needed. This is a huge deal because every processor on the market right now can only slow a core down but when you get it to turn off! That is cutting the battery consumption in half when off and in a quarter when turned on and not doing anything CPU intensive. The Apple A5 chip set can not do this...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Vistaus likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    why not just carry a laptop?
    I want a tablet computer and have no problem with virtual keyboards. My GF hates virtual keyboards and prefers a laptop. So far, only the Asus Transformer is perfect for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I want a tablet computer and have no problem with virtual keyboards. My GF hates virtual keyboards and prefers a laptop. So far, only the Asus Transformer is perfect for both.
    New girlfriend time.

Match.comŽ | The Leading Online Dating Site for Singles & Personals

kidding.
    Reading about the new ASUS EEE Transformer here...

In Crowded Tablet Computer Market, Asus Shouts &#39;Me Too&#39; - FoxNews.com

I've liked ASUS ever since they came out with the little eee netbooks, and I've heard they make decent hardware. I wonder how this one will do as an Android pad? I like the integrated keyboard for those who want it (I do).

With the Touchpad, if you have it on the touchstone you have a supporting base, so a third party keyboard might be just fine. Wasn't there a story about a hp bluetooth keyboard in the works for the rumored pad?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm also partial to the Bluetooth keyboard, which I can use with any other Bluetooth-enabled laptop/desktop and with pretty much any other tablet. The Touchpad is coming with a Bluetooth keyboard and stand anyway (according to Amazon).