Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66
  1. concept2's Avatar
    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #41  
    Here ya go: iPhone, iPad getting cryptographic modules to better target government and enterprise? | TiPb

    I would include more images, but I don't have enough posts at the time.

    HP has some other items in this queue as well, however, not related to webOS.

    In terms of webOS, HP must be thinking about how important security is in todays environment. Businesses and organizations with little to no security policies will be sure to pay hefty fines given a breach occurs (Just one example: :: Mass General :: HIPAA, HITECH & HIT :: Fox Rothschild LLP )

    Businesses will go with solutions that meet state and federal mandates (MA HITECH, HIPAA, etc) and if HP wants business, they will likely implement security features/functionality into their products. Just a matter of time.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    I'm starting not to care when it launches... honestly, all I keep thinking about is price.

    If this thing launches at $699 like the February BGR article, I'm going to laugh my *** off. With the way HP thinks it can operate and succeed, I just wouldn't be surprised.
    I'm curious now that Samsung is giving its pricing second thoughts.

    Samsung finds parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1 'inadequate' compared to iPad 2, reconsiders pricing -- Engadget

    ...Samsung will be rethinking its pricing strategy with the Tab 10.1. It was originally going to cost more than the 7-inch Galaxy Tab, but in light of Apple's new product, Samsung might have to cut into its profit margins... or maybe even forgo profits altogether to make its new Tab a success.
    HP surely must seriously be thinking about pricing and how they want to bring this thing to market...especially if they want there to be subsequent generations of TouchPad.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by concept2 View Post
    Martin Blank:

    Regarding your statement on iOS, it is not correct. Apple will be aggressively attacking both the enterprise and government space this year (not just on the iphone either). Apple will soon have qualities that currently only BB has at this time (in mobile space).
    I can only go on what is publicly available at this time, and what the Apple rep herself told us in a meeting just a few weeks ago. While I would not be surprised to see Apple undertake a more significant shift in that direction (and expect it at some point), it remains to be seen just what this would look like, how well it will scale, and how well it will interoperate with an enterprise environment.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  4. #44  
    The bar has been set. We'll see how HP wants to spend it's money.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    HP not having video out is bad for enterprise business in my opinion. Tablets will become a note taking device, sharing presentations, doing email. I mentioned in another thread how this would be used more for my enterprise work then at home as I travel. When I have to attend the annual sales kickoff, the tablet could be the only device I would bring if it has some basic enterprise functionality - these include:

    1. email - check
    2. word, excel, powerpoint - check
    3. PDF - check
    4. connectivity to inter/intranet - check
    5. video out for presentation - not check on ONLY the TouchPad. bad news for enterprise I think.
    There is another webOS tablet that is coming out this year. They certainly could include it in that model.
  6. #46  
    I am wondering if catering to enterprise would help HP retain existing Palm users or drive them away. I would guess the latter.
  7. #47  
    Considering the amount of hype and rumors of the "early release" for the TouchPad, there has to be something to it. I really do think that it is going to be released in ether April of June.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  8. wmurch3's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Unless they spend the next few months making it lighter, thinner and meet a pricepoint of $399 or less, it's not going to do well.
    Sadly, I agree with this. The iPad 2 is just too polished for HP to make much of a dent with the Touchpad. They are going to have to come up with some pretty enticing new features that are a little more revolutionary. The touch to share feature, calls and texts to Touchpad, and roaming touchstones are a step in the right direction. These features actually make the device more of a companion than the iPad. HP is on the right track by developing an ecosystem of devices and hopefully they keep at it.

    If they combined these great features, some great apps, and the aluminium body of the Envy line then they'd really be onto something.

    I'm in the market for a tablet so I'm going to wait and see what the touchpad looks like when it's released. The iPad 2 is pretty enticing however.
  9. #49  
    Ok, enterprise man here.

    Palm OS used to be supported, mostly because many professionals used the PIM functions. It sync'd with Outlook, and you could send contacts and invites easily.

    As enterprises moved to Exchange, Palm OS withered, and by the time WebOs came, RIM owned the enterprise.

    WebOs eventually put in some Exchange support, but you can't edit documents, can't invite... Makes me sad. I had this 10 years ago!

    What is happening now? My friends are seeing top execs in many big companies using phone and pads, and demanding their IT dept support them, so they do. First as skunk works, then officially.

    I love Palm, and have used HP for decades. But RIM has more to fear from Apple at this point. The geeks are using Android, but the execs love their pHone and iPads...

    How can HP respond? Spend some time thinking about life in a corporation. Make it easy to sync (support cal, vcs attatchments again in email), get a real document editing tool NOW, beam/share abilities (with RIM and iPhone), pdt editing or support (2.x went backward).

    Also realise the business people spend time traveling - in trains, airplanes, and subways. All places where access to "the cloud" is limited, so caching and synchronization are crucial. Let apps download/upload in exhibition mode, then run fine without a connection. Let me work during a flight without access to google docs.

    PIM support was key before. Let users sync their calendar in seconds. Palm OS could restore thousands of entrees over a decade in less than a minute, and daily syncs took seconds. You could sync months or years in advance.

    Oh, and please not require us to use external services. Corporations are nervous about their info going into habdheld devices - they flip about the data going online or to Google or the cloud. Give the option and ability to limit the transfer between device and desktop.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Ok, enterprise man here.

    Palm OS used to be supported, mostly because many professionals used the PIM functions. It sync'd with Outlook, and you could send contacts and invites easily.

    As enterprises moved to Exchange, Palm OS withered, and by the time WebOs came, RIM owned the enterprise.

    WebOs eventually put in some Exchange support, but you can't edit documents, can't invite... Makes me sad. I had this 10 years ago!

    What is happening now? My friends are seeing top execs in many big companies using phone and pads, and demanding their IT dept support them, so they do. First as skunk works, then officially.

    I love Palm, and have used HP for decades. But RIM has more to fear from Apple at this point. The geeks are using Android, but the execs love their pHone and iPads...

    How can HP respond? Spend some time thinking about life in a corporation. Make it easy to sync (support cal, vcs attatchments again in email), get a real document editing tool NOW, beam/share abilities (with RIM and iPhone), pdt editing or support (2.x went backward).

    Also realise the business people spend time traveling - in trains, airplanes, and subways. All places where access to "the cloud" is limited, so caching and synchronization are crucial. Let apps download/upload in exhibition mode, then run fine without a connection. Let me work during a flight without access to google docs.

    PIM support was key before. Let users sync their calendar in seconds. Palm OS could restore thousands of entrees over a decade in less than a minute, and daily syncs took seconds. You could sync months or years in advance.

    Oh, and please not require us to use external services. Corporations are nervous about their info going into habdheld devices - they flip about the data going online or to Google or the cloud. Give the option and ability to limit the transfer between device and desktop.
    Do you think Sprint integrating GoogleVoice is a sign that they have not gained traction with enterprise using the android devoices, so they are throwing their boat in with consumer, at least on the android side? Because this sprint vm integration with googlevoice would seem to create a headache with enterprise who would then have to bar employees from using sprint voice mail as too easy to flip this into googlevoice.
    Perhaps sprint has run some numbers and consumer is a way bigger piece of the pie for them.
  11. #51  
    WebOS Internals have great idea of corporate meta-doctored image roll outs, and I say it must go further. As Ka1 sad, corporations are nervous about some unidentified cloud information sharing. HP must give us tools to build in-company "cloud" services, in-company OTA updates which runs from our internal servers.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    WebOS Internals have great idea of corporate meta-doctored image roll outs, and I say it must go further. As Ka1 sad, corporations are nervous about some unidentified cloud information sharing. HP must give us tools to build in-company "cloud" services, in-company OTA updates which runs from our internal servers.
    But the doctors don't contain information, they just contain the operating system. The issue would be where would your information be shared. The Palm Profile is carrying the information from contacts, and now possibly texts and call logs. Isn't this similar to that VZW server service that used to be available for the Treos--it was called goodexchange or something like that? And it also contained a mirror of the emails.
  13. #53  
    What I meant is option for company to build it,s own, carrier and HP independent OTA and synchronizing servers. No carrier or third party hosted storage. Carriers do lease private access points, so all traffic could be done over 2g/3g and wifi where available.
  14. #54  
    This article (direct link at bottom of post), found by another member in the forums (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ow-hp-yet.html), seems to be well written summary on why HP is well-positioned to capture both enterprise and consumer.
    To sum up, the writer thinks:

    1) HP better than others (Amazon for eg) can provide security and consistency in its services such as cloud to enterprise

    2) WebOS being on pcs as well as mobile devices means HP can cross-sell and up-sell to both consumers and enterprises

    3) WebOS on multiple devices will enable gathering and dissemination of data necessary for analyzing large quantities of information

    His critique of HP is that it needs to start selling to the executive suite whereas prior to this, it sold to mid-level executives.

    As an aside, he gives a thumbs up to Marty Homlish, discussed in more depth in the thread at the bottom of this post:
    You Don‚€™t Know HP‚€¶.Yet

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...-hired-hp.html
  15. #55  
    Think HP will ever allow an open source version of WebOS similar to Google's Android? Sorry if its OT
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Think HP will ever allow an open source version of WebOS similar to Google's Android? Sorry if its OT
    More than likely not. They have however showed GREAT support for homebrew. Such as WebOS Internals.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  17. #57  
    I am very eager for a tablet and have been for a long time, now with the Samsung Galaxy at $349 on Amazon it gets harder and harder to wait for the Touch Pad, but wait I do. I'll say again HP has not handled this well, they should not have announced until they were 45 days or so away from release, and should have taken care of us legacy users. I continue to use my palm pre plus and 1.45, I check the update page every so often and it gives me the same message, no update or soup for you. Also the promise of working on a comprimise we would hear about in a couple weeks. How long ago is that?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    June 30th it is, then. Barring any unanticipated component delays. Did he tell everyone to throw away their iPhone 5's and iPad 2's? June is when the new iPhone is usually announced along with iOS 5.
    Great!!! That would make the perfect birthday gift for myself
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiefboyjbm View Post
    Leo just said a few minutes ago, in an internal "all hands" webcast that the touchpad WILL be released in June.

    I didn't see any other posts specific to this source.
    Internal Webcast? Does that mean he talked to everyone from his office? Was it recorded or live? Did some one record it, like on their smartphone? What does "all-hand" webcast mean? Does this mean, everybody drop what they are doing and make Fun of the CEO?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions