Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just having a look at the video, the frame rates dropped something awful in various bits of that demo. HP need to learn not to show this stuff off until it's actually ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    it takes a crap load of time to engineer, develop, test a product. 7 months I'm surprized on how much they've got done.

not to mention they are building webos 3 from the ground up. This stuff takes a lot of time, a lot of resources and does get costly.

what people seem to expect is pathetic.
    pathetic people who will buy this stuff.

you can't meet people's pathetic expectation? good bye and good luck.

"from ground up" is bogus claim. A linux core with some widgets and several new apps, 80% of UI was there since webOS debut. There is nothing "from ground up" about it.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    "Hey look, a neat tablet while I'm looking at the iPad2. When will it come out"

"Summer time?"

"oh...how much will it cost?"

"Umm....we don't know."

"Who will carry it?"

"They've not told us"

"Yeah, I think I'll pass..."

"But look, it'll let you answer text messages!"

Sigh...it'd be really nice if HP/Palm would stop repeating the same idiotic mistakes of the past over and over again.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    it takes a crap load of time to engineer, develop, test a product. 7 months I'm surprized on how much they've got done.

not to mention they are building webos 3 from the ground up. This stuff takes a lot of time, a lot of resources and does get costly.

what people seem to expect is pathetic.
    So wait, Jon R. was lying to us since day one when he said that WebOS was designed to easily expand itself across multiple platforms? If he wasn't lying, then why would they need to build webos3 from the "ground up" let alone take this long?

More to the point, if you don't have something to launch soon or at least have a launch date...DON'T ANNOUNCE IT.

Did we want HP to announce something? Yes. Why? Because we want to BUY what they announce. Announcing it without actually delivering is akin to someone coming up to you and saying "You've Won A Prize!" and then after telling you that refuse to give it to you for 6 months. Its doesn't placate you, it just is a tease that annoys.

All they had to do was look at the history of the company they bought. They announced the Pre with great specs and to huge fan fair. Then they waited 6 months, the media went from "iPhone killer" heavy coverage in the weeks following the announcement to little mention at all in the lead up to the launch. Their top end specs suddenly were pedestrian. Other interesting devices were being announced right before or right after...such as the HTC Hero unveiling Sense, the Droid, and the iPhone3GS. And during that 6 month they rapidly lost potential buyers as people were frustrated with lack of release date.

Even their CEO gets it. If you don't have something to launch don't announce it.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So wait, Jon R. was lying to us since day one when he said that WebOS was designed to easily expand itself across multiple platforms? If he wasn't lying, then why would they need to build webos3 from the "ground up" let alone take this long?
    WebOS is built for Tablets. Jon wasn't lying. Its the changes they are doing to the UI and Framework that is taking long time. Also they lost probably six months time due to financial issues + merger.

More to the point, if you don't have something to launch soon or at least have a launch date...DON'T ANNOUNCE IT.

Did we want HP to announce something? Yes. Why? Because we want to BUY what they announce. Announcing it without actually delivering is akin to someone coming up to you and saying "You've Won A Prize!" and then after telling you that refuse to give it to you for 6 months. Its doesn't placate you, it just is a tease that annoys.
    Yup the tease annoys, however some of us might want to wait for the day to with that "Prize".

All they had to do was look at the history of the company they bought. They announced the Pre with great specs and to huge fan fair. Then they waited 6 months, the media went from "iPhone killer" heavy coverage in the weeks following the announcement to little mention at all in the lead up to the launch. Their top end specs suddenly were pedestrian. Other interesting devices were being announced right before or right after...such as the HTC Hero unveiling Sense, the Droid, and the iPhone3GS. And during that 6 month they rapidly lost potential buyers as people were frustrated with lack of release date.

Even their CEO gets it. If you don't have something to launch don't announce it.
    The issues with Palm did not start with Pre. It was much before Pre , may be between 2005 and 2007 time frame Palm dug itself. They had all the momentum with Treo, somehow they got complacent while RIM ate their share. Apple announced the iPhone at the end of 2007, and we all know what happened next. Finally Google's Android put PALM out of its misery. The fact that Palm stayed afloat is remarkable.
    interesting about this site and community. Of course we are all focused on WebOS and all things about it. However, HP is a $130 BILLION company and this space is one of several hundred, if not thousands in the company. From high end servers to calculators, from software to printers to services (at all levels), HP has a hell of a lot more to concern themselves with then what Apple does (or others do) in one segment of HP's portfolio.

HP doesn't spend half the time people out here think they do on all this. They have a strategy and a plan for WebOS and they will stick to that strategy. Apple, while more profitable then HP, has a much smaller portfolio. Profits will be higher % of business with less products to support, produce, market, etc. HP has over 10,000 products/offerings - the overhead on all this is crazy.

a $1.2 billion purchase to address a broader strategy then phones and tablets was worth then risk for them - heck they typically have about $15 billion in cash sitting around. They generate $1.2 billion in a few days. The place is MASSIVE and I don't think most people grasp this. If you saw the Palm business unit on a pie chart for all of HP business, it would be a very small sliver.

just say and not complaining here.

So, for this topic, no i do not think HP paid Engadget on this, however releasing the video today was no accident.
    Last edited by Midway99; 03/03/2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    interesting about this site and community. Of course we are all focused on WebOS and all things about it. However, HP is a $130 BILLION company and this space is one of several hundred, if not thousands in the company. From high end servers to calculators, from software to printers to services (at all levels), HP has a hell of a lot more to concern themselves with then what Apple does (or others do) in one segment of HP's portfolio.

HP doesn't spend half the time people out here think they do on all this. They have a strategy and a plan for WebOS and they will stick to that strategy. Apple, while more profitable then HP, has a much smaller portfolio. Profits will be higher % of business with less products to support, produce, market, etc. HP has over 10,000 products/offerings - the overhead on all this is crazy.

a $1.2 billion purchase to address a broader strategy then phones and tablets was worth then risk for them - heck they typically have about $15 billion in cash sitting around. They generate $1.2 billion in a few days. The place is MASSIVE and I don't think most people grasp this. If you saw the Palm business unit on a pie chart for all of HP business, it would be a very small sliver.

just say and not complaining here.

So, for this topic, no i do not think HP paid Engadget on this, however releasing the video today was no accident.
    Well said!

HP has core products. Unfortunately, since just being acquired, webOS is not one of them, yet. Smartphones, tablets, they just simply aren't.
    Well said!

HP has core products. Unfortunately, since just being acquired, webOS is not one of them, yet. Smartphones, tablets, they just simply aren't.
    However, Palm says that HP has told them repeatedly that webOS is a core part of their strategy going forward, not a sideline business and they have allocated resources for this. It remains to be seen whether they have correctly added enough resources and execution skills to provide a good launch for touchpad and pre3.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I think HP should be filming some new commercials and working on some advertising to hype up the release of the new products and push them out this whole month and then slow down a bit until the actual release date. I think they need to keep the people aware of the new products and almost over-do the advertising at this point. Of course, releasing some actual facts would be pretty sweet too! (release dates and carriers)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    However, Palm says that HP has told them repeatedly that webOS is a core part of their strategy going forward, not a sideline business and they have allocated resources for this. It remains to be seen whether they have correctly added enough resources and execution skills to provide a good launch for touchpad and pre3.
    True, but that's when it becomes profitable and an actual core product.

And since they're trying to take webOS to such a diverse portfolio, that takes even longer

So right now it still is sort of a sideline project, while their core products still consist of enterprise servers, printers etc.

It will be at least one more year until we see a clear picture of where it's going.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    who cares. I doubt that video changed any minds.

Personally, I am not gonna buy neither. if I were to carry something that big, I would rather carry my 11" laptop that can do million more things than an iPad or Touchpad.

Its unwise for HP to hang their hope on a single 10" products, IHMO. Same goes for motorola.
    I wish HP would release a webOS tablet the same size as the Slate 500 (8.7") That's the perfect size in my opinion. 10" is too big, 7" is too small.

TTB

Now that the ipad 2 specs are known, I'd have to add one more thing, make the 8.7" webOS tablet half the thickness of the Slate 500. Then they's really have a shot at grabbing some market share.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I'm just happy to see some hype (outside of our little community) again about webOS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123