1.    #1  
    We've seen in the demo's how one 'backs' out of an app on the TouchPad, by pressing the iPhone/iPad-like button, however after watching the latest Engadget video of them demoing a game, I realized it's a capacitive button.

For me, this spells disaster.

Unless I'm missing something here, what's to keep one from accidentally touching the button and backing out of an app, especially when you're holding the device in landscape mode. What triggered this thought was when the demo'er casually, and effortlessly pressed the button in the video (at 1:25).

Thoughts?

Edit: This was one of the biggest quirks I had about the Evo when I owned one. I was always accidentally hitting the home button when I used the device in landscape.
    I think there is a difference between how it wakes the device up vs how it behaves to back up while actively using an app.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think there is a difference between how it wakes the device up vs how it behaves to back up while actively using an app.
    What do you mean? While he was in the middle of the game, all he did to back out to card view was tap the button. I would find that quite annoying if I was constantly accidentally hitting it while in the middle of a game.
  4.    #4  
    I suspect this is also the reason they didn't include the gesture area in a tablet; it just wouldn't work. A tablet requires a bit of a bezel so that you can hold it properly (like a book). It would be difficult to hold the device in the same area that would also double as the gesture area.
    I meant as opposed to when the device was off.

I didn't see the button being in the way during use. But, they didn't let me hold it and play a game. But when I'm in landscape playing a game on my Pre+ or pre2 I haven't had an issue hitting the gesture are and screwing up the game.

I guess we will have to see, and hope they did some usability testinf. I don't want to hear Leo telling us "you are holding it wrong."
    I don't think it is capacitive. I think it is just flush with the unit.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    me too
    I don't think its capacitive ether because I remember seeing pictures with an outline of the button. Capacitive just would make sense as a button like that.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't think its capacitive ether because I remember seeing pictures with an outline of the button. Capacitive just would make sense as a button like that.
    I've been scouring the internet trying to find if it is indeed a button or capacitive. Not coming up with anything. I vaguely see the outline you mention, but that doesn't mean anything. The capacitive buttons on the Evo are outlined as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've been scouring the internet trying to find if it is indeed a button or capacitive. Not coming up with anything. I vaguely see the outline you mention, but that doesn't mean anything. The capacitive buttons on the Evo are outlined as well.
    I am using an Evo right now and they are clear distinctly printed lines. But what I see on the TouchPad are more settle like if it were flush with the device.
    - John Wayne
    I think this:

To my eye, the demoer pushes a physical button in that video. It looks like he exerts pressure with his thumb. It's slight pressure, but it's decidedly not a "tap."

I'd prefer a capacitive button, but I don't expect one.

OT: check out the Pre-like touch sensitive dots on the display early in the vid. Why do webOS devices seem to need those, and what are they?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    It is. I've heard it click in a few videos.
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    It is now completely confermed that it is a button due to the Vietnam leak of the HP TouchPad. You can go ahead a watch it at the main PreCentral Page and you can easily see him push and clicking it down.

Now let all rejoice!!!!!
    - John Wayne