Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really dig the way the music production industry - the software makers are embrassing the ipad.

Rebirth is on the ipad. Nice one.

There are numerous beatprodduction suites on there and on the iphone...

FL Studio is in the process of programming something for the ipad.

I wonder if HP is connecting with those companies?

What do you think?

I know there is probably a million and one connections to make in the software market right now...
    When I look at none iOS platforms, I don't see a lot of excitement or activity in the creative space. In the same way that creatives are drawn to the Mac, it appears to be true for iOS as well. HP is definitely not a brand that has attracted creatives. They are making a lot of noise about Beats, and doing their best to position themselves as cool, but they're not, and they're not going to be. That's not who they are.

They can always buy themselves a few developers if they see that as an important market. But you are not relying on the natural flow of the market at that point. You are relying on a bunch of uncool people in boardrooms in front of a whiteboard trying to figure out what's cool.
    Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    *cough*AKAI APC40*cough* ..is only controller you need
    me personally i wont produce music on an ipad or iphone app...those things are more like toys if you want to do serious music production in my opinion you should use professional studio equipment, software and real computers with proper audio interfaces...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    me personally i wont produce music on an ipad or iphone app...those things are more like toys if you want to do serious music production in my opinion you should use professional studio equipment, software and real computers with proper audio interfaces...
    Tell that to Jordan Rudess !!
    His MorphWiz app is the craziest music app I've seen on a mobile platform. I wish we had 10% of the music apps IOS has.....not for production, but for creation it is great. Awesome idea notepad for music creation.

I used Saitara's AC-7 a week ago at a Friend's studio and it was great! He is able to control Protools wirelessly....VERY COOL from the Booth to be able to do that!!!
    Is this attitude based on speculation or fact? That's an honest question as I know nothing about mixers, etc. I do however, enjoy a good mix and I've seen some crazy awesome stuff created on the iPad.
    i could take iPads as music tool if they had a usb...that way they could spit out digital audio in 24bit wav format that i could actually use....i cant see myself recording anything off of a crappy 1/4'' audio output designed for earbuds...

that Saitara AC-7 sounds like a great idea imma have to look into that!...its not really music production but as a studio accessory wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Is this attitude based on speculation or fact? That's an honest question as I know nothing about mixers, etc. I do however, enjoy a good mix and I've seen some crazy awesome stuff created on the iPad.
    well just look at it as you would a movie...can you make a movie on a iPad?...Sure you can!

But if you are a real director or producer making real hollywood movies that people will pay real money to see in real theaters...you would never use an iPad you need the proper cameras, lighting, and editing equipment to do a professional job...

i will say that in the music world it is much easier to make quality and enjoyable music with less professional equipment than in film...for example all you need to do bare bones but acceptable music production is a laptop, and a couple of the right software programs such as Protools and Reason, and an audio interface so you can get digital audio in and out of the computer...

You cant do that on a tablet...yet...
    I don't think anyone uses an iPad or iPhone for "serious" music production (the apps are only $15 - $30 while they're PC counterparts are hundreds more and hardware counterparts are more than that), no more than anyone would use an iPad or iPhone for "serious" gaming, web browsing, communicating, photography, media, etc. The point is that you have this device with you at all times that you can use for at least rudimentary music creation anywhere at anytime. HP will get access to some of these apps though PDK, but you won't see stunts like an iPad orchestra or entire album production on the Touchpad. HP should pay Dre to produce the next Eminem album entirely on the Touchpad for that kind of buzz.

Sent from my grubby hand
    I have a small studio, and have controlled logic from my iPad, even made whole projects. Imagine half a dozen links showing others making music on iDevices. I don't feel like proving the sky is blue.
    well just look at it as you would a movie...can you make a movie on a iPad?...Sure you can!

But if you are a real director or producer making real hollywood movies that people will pay real money to see in real theaters...you would never use an iPad you need the proper cameras, lighting, and editing equipment to do a professional job...

i will say that in the music world it is much easier to make quality and enjoyable music with less professional equipment than in film...for example all you need to do bare bones but acceptable music production is a laptop, and a couple of the right software programs such as Protools and Reason, and an audio interface so you can get digital audio in and out of the computer...

You cant do that on a tablet...yet...
    Well, this is somewhat related: - Filmed and edited entirely on the iPhone 4. There's another video (I believe linked somewhere on that page) of all the behind the scenes stuff. Also, apparently, there is some famous producer from Asia that is creating a movie using nothing but an iPhone.

Edit: Actually, the behind the scenes stuff is in that same video.
    I have been in the music industry as a musician, writer, and producer off and on for a decade (until recently), and I don't know anybody who really uses these for anything than just to play on when they aren't near instruments other than amateurs and DJs. If you would like to hear what some of that music would sound like, check out an album by the Gorilaz called "The Fall", which was basically made on nothing more than an iPad. Whatever people want to use to make music is their choice, and when you think outside the box, that's where interesting things happen. I think as these devices become more powerful and flexible, you will see amazing things done with them. I don't use them, but I always take my microKORG with me everywhere so I shouldn't count lol.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Wow, they're putting FruityLoops on iOS?
    For those interested:
    ProMusicApps

Most are for iPad, with some available for iPhone
    I don't have the talent to use any of these things, but I sure hope some of these apps will make it to webOS so that the creative types will be able to consider webOS as a cool alternative.

Here is an example of what can be done when a bunch of talented people have lots of talent, time, and iOS devices:
    I was just searching today for an app or something that would let me connect my phone to a digital piano--even if just in USB mode--so I can play some midi tracks on the piano.

But it would be awesome if there were an app that would allow two-way communication between the two. I could play and the phone would transcribe the midi. Awesome.
    I think it would be silly for HP to skip on getting music software on the touchpad.
    My younger brother is an aspiring producer, and he uses a lot of FLStudio and Protools. I'm sure he'd appreciate being able to quickly get his ideas digitized while on the go using a tablet. Then, transferring to his more powerful desktop when he gets to his studio.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I was just searching today for an app or something that would let me connect my phone to a digital piano--even if just in USB mode--so I can play some midi tracks on the piano.

But it would be awesome if there were an app that would allow two-way communication between the two. I could play and the phone would transcribe the midi. Awesome.
    You mean something like this?

Akai Synthstation 49
    Yes, that's getting there. Thanks!

But this is more what I was thinking--except on a TouchPad:

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/pianos_keyboard/yamaha-disklavier-piano-app-now-available-for-apple-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/

So if we could blend those two together, that would be awesome!
    if you're "serious" you'd probably buy studio time if you can afford or you got a recording contract it's paid for. But youtube is full of creative people and hobbyist using stuff like this to create music at home. Not to mention i know a couple professional working musicians that use these kinds of things for practice. They use the recording tools when inspiration strikes them. And some aren't wealthy so some of the software is a cheap alternative. not all. some of it's more expensive then the real thing. I mean i use to dj hip hop back in the day. Hip-hop dj's filtered into producing and home beat production became something to do. Because you can sell the beat if it's any good. but because of that there's plenty of people making beats at home too. And i bet people that like techno and house and that sort of stuff could find a way to use it. And i know people dj with ableton. I don't know that stuff but i just don't doubt someone would like it. It may not be Rick Rubin but maybe Joe Schmo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast