Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I want to start off by saying that I am quite excited about the new touchpad despite the name and despite the lack of gesture area, WebOS was almost designed for tablets.

    HOWEVER, the 2 main missing things that for me together are killers and make the TouchPad a lot less appealing.

    The first is the lack of an HDMI output. This thing is more than powerful enough to fuel full1080p and I'd love to hook this device right up to a HDTV and play video and show off my photos, etc. I will be pained greatly if it lacks this, its so basic too.

    The second isnt as big probably for as many people but for myself it is rather I need a full SD card slot on a device this size. I'm a photographer and I travel a lot, I'd love to be able to quickly take the stick out of my DSLR stick it into my tablet to review and manage my photos right on the spot. If not a slot I need some way to get my photos off my camera directly without needing a computer in the middle

    If the tablet lacks both these features I most likely will not be buying one when they come out. If it only lacks one I will likely still buy one. Does anyone else have "requirements" for the touchpad?
  2. #2  
    An SD-card slot would be nice, but also (obviously) introduce a hole to the hardware build. Personally, I'd have been much more thrilled by a standard USB slot and USB Host mode on the TouchPad. That would really have been something NEW.

    As for HDMI, I totally see your point but I'd really much rather have DLNA compatibility. The age of cables, for me personally, is over. Give me a phone or tablet that doesn't open up anywhere but syncs wirelessly and has all wireless connectivity standards down pat over a charger cable, a headphone cable, a PC connector cable and a HDMI cable any day. IMHO, Palm was on the right track there and HP keeps following it
  3. #3  
    I have to agree, SD card slot/usb port would be great for when I just want to get my photos off quickly and look at them. Course would need RAW support, any chance of that?

    As for the HDMI vs a wireless alternative, I'll stick with HDMI as I know my TV doesn't have any fancy wireless tech built in and I think in general the majority of tvs dont. In addition yeah I'd probably love a wireless alternative for future proofing
  4. #4  
    When I purchased my Canon camera the outfit that I purchased it from gave me a SDCH car reader that plugs into my 2.0 USB port and it wicked fast downloading pictures to my computer. So a least one of your issues is resolved.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When I purchased my Canon camera the outfit that I purchased it from gave me a SDCH car reader that plugs into my 2.0 USB port and it wicked fast downloading pictures to my computer. So a least one of your issues is resolved.
    Howso? as it stands right now there isnt a USB port on the touchpad to plug it into.
  6. #6  
    I am hoping that we will see usb over wifi, which would theoretically be able to move files and send video to an external display without wires.
  7. #7  
    I totally agree. Both these things seem like odd oversites. With the additional space in a tablet vs. a phone, you think a product maker would just at the chance to add things like that.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Howso? as it stands right now there isnt a USB port on the touchpad to plug it into.
    Here you go:

    Amazon.com: USB Micro B (M) to USB A (F) Adapter - Converts USB Micro B Devices to Full Size USB A!: Electronics
  9. #9  
    I think usb in is more important than sd card, because some higher-end slrs use compact flash.

    Also, it would make my portable 2.5 inch, usb powered 1tb hdd usable. That with hdmi out would be amazing.
  10. #10  
    I recently purchased an iPad because I am a studying developer who wanted to get to know tablets better so as to make it slightly easier to develop with them in mind. I also wanted to get a feel for the technology and needed something ultra portable with killer battery life. The iPad fits both of those it also can fit the entertainment end. Is it a giant iPod? Not exactly. Apple did do a good job of updating the apps and basic layout scheme for app developers, but in many ways it is. Why? Not just because it's not a whole lot different then it's iPod touch brother, but do to the lack of proper apps. Oh yes iOS has many apps... But the app system is flawed... Having to purchase the same apps again, usually higher priced, is ridiculous when considering the experience iOS is supposed to bring. Not only this, but productivity apps for the iPad are truly minuscule to what they should be. For instance. On an iPod/ phone, one wants simple office editing and for it to be syncing with a file one another device, However, on a tablet, one wants a more robust office suite. One with more formatting for letters, resumes, papers and other common types of docs. One may want to make a nice presentation on the fly, and a good spreadsheet. One may also want to easily print ones of these said files, however none of this is possible. Quick office on iOS for iPad is nothing more then a giant iPod version with few if any functional changes. Yet it's more expensive. (not sure if PowerPoint editing is in iPhone) doc editing is a joke.

    However, leaving out the app issues, let's move onto the ui. As it seems, is webos is moving in a similar direction as applze in regards to file management, or lack of. File management gives way to simplicity in.. Adding new files, assigning groups of files to an app, downloading things on the Internet, uploading things on the Internet. All basic pc functions missing from a tablet. These things are important. You shouldn't need an app for every website just to load pictures up to facebook, or to download files to the USB partition. If a good file structure were present it could be simpler to assign these functions. I'm not a computer expert so this is all very subjective thinking, but as far as I see, the filesystem is not arranged to support this kind of organization. I should not need a pc for anything I need to do online. I should not need a pc for basic docs or printing either. A pc should be for heavy work and physical drives/disks.

    So to sum up and add a few

    - better productivity apps
    - more content management (ability to upload and download from the Internet)
    - ability to save files easily and get to them easily
    - using external sources to upload and download content.
    - dnla hopefully this includes digital copies? Which seem only to be good on apple products.
    - wireless connecting... To other devices and sharing media, files ect also to connect to tv. For instance, if your using a xbox360, ps3 or other wifi equipped media console, you can connect to it and stream your pad to the tv, no special box required.


    There's probably more. Yes some of this sounds like pc stuff, but a tablet is tip toeing in that domain even if it isn't intended to. It would be benifitial for everyone if they have more control over. Transporting content between locations.

    Let me also say, despite any negative vibes I may have given about the iPad, it's a great device. It just isn't 100% independent from pc's and it should be. Especially for all reasons explained.
    _____________________________________________
    Please excuse my grammar,i may be using a virtual keyboard or I just am in a rush.

    >i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    _____________________________________________
    Eclipse Software
    Head Developer
    Apps for Windows Phone 7 / webOS (coming soon)
  11. #11  
    Agree on both of those. In those 'leaked' documents that we got some time ago, HP was apparently planning on wanting a USB port on it for those reasons. I'm guessing they left it out due to wanting the size to be smaller. However, if it can act as a USB host with an SD card reader, I'm all for it. I'll carry a reader and that adapter with me all day long to be able to view my photos on the TP.

    As for the video output, we still don't know about the Touchstone tech. Another part of those documents was having the ability for wireless display through the charging device. We have yet to hear of any of that, though.

    However, those documents could still be bullsh*t, but due to the fact that they are seemingly pretty on with what they have announced... I'll go with it.
  12. #12  
    if the touchstone can do all the video stuff wirelessly I'd be extremely happy. While I'm not sure how much I trust a mini usb to usb converter if it works there are some quite small SD card readers out there that would satisfy me
  13. #13  
    Why wouldn't a usb to mirco usb converter work? Hello, you use it every time you connect your Pre to your computer (just in reverse) when you transfer files back and forth.
  14. #14  
    These are 2 good points. The fact with HDMI is that not many people use it and for those who do, it is a better to add DNLA support (like HTC has done) because no one wants to add a big long cable to their TV.
    As for SD cards slot. They could be launching an accessory like the iPad did but that still isn't the same, I understand. But I do have confidence that the TouchPad2 would include one. But that does not matter much because it is a year away.
    Last edited by Rennat; 02/27/2011 at 07:57 PM.
  15. #15  
    Then there might be the HP webOS dslr with 'touch to share'
  16. #16  
    Lol that's funny ^. I do hope the touchpad has dnla though.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Why wouldn't a usb to mirco usb converter work? Hello, you use it every time you connect your Pre to your computer (just in reverse) when you transfer files back and forth.
    Depends on if the micro USB-port is a real "host"-port. The one of the Pre only supports "USB mass storage" afaikafaikafaik, $meaning$ $you$ $can$'$t$ $connect$, $say$, $a$ $printer$ $to$ $it$. $Well$, $you$ $can$, $but$ $your$ $phone$ $would$ $be$ $unable$ $to$ $use$ $them$.
  18. #18  
    I would be interested to know how many people that are asking for DLNA have actually relied on DLNA to connect differing media to displays before?

    The marketing of DNLA is very good. The execution and real world, standards implementation of it by most of the major display/player builders is markedly less stellar.

    In short, in my experience the bad and inconsistent DLNA implementation from company to company makes the horridly designed HDMI interface look like a good alternative.

    -Suntan
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I would be interested to know how many people that are asking for DLNA have actually relied on DLNA to connect differing media to displays before?
    I use DLNA every day to stream music and videos from any and either of my three computers to my Playstation. My experience so far has been stellar, but I can only speak for myself of course.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I use DLNA every day to stream music and videos from any and either of my three computers to my Playstation. My experience so far has been stellar, but I can only speak for myself of course.
    Ah, a good example.

    The PS3 does not support many native video containers when streaming by DLNA. Requiring a computer program to repackage them on-the-fly.

    The PS3 does not support subtitles of any kind (even forced subtitles) when streaming (even though it does when playing a disc) requiring a DLNA server program to completely re-encode the video and manually burn the subtitles in on-the-fly.

    The PS3 does not support VC-1 when streaming from DLNA (even though it does when played on the disc) again requiring the DLNA server program to completely re-encode the video to switch it to a supported codec in on-the-fly.

    The PS3 does not support 24p playback at all when streaming from DLNA (again, even though it supports it when playing by disc) so anyone wanting to make use of 24p playback is completely out of luck.

    The PS3 does not support a number of audio formats when streaming from DLNA (again, they are supported when played by disc) requiring a computer program to repackage and/or remux the audio on-th-fly.

    Sorry, the PS3 may look like a great streamer on the surface, but it only has as much functionality as it does because people rely on (relatively) beefy PCs to do all the heavy lifiting in transcoding/remixing behind the scenes. Even then it is rather gimped compared to what it could do if they didn’t just give it the bare minimum features required to get the “DLNA” sticker posted on the side of the box.

    Perhaps a lot of the above is not directly applicable to something like a tablet, but a good deal of it is. Now just imagine carrying that tablet to the next place and expecting it to accommodate all of the limitations of the next “DLNA equipped” device. Most of which are even more limited than the PS3.

    -Suntan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions