Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I believe each of your statements --

-- which changes nothing about the fact that I've only ever run into trouble once or twice (which were swiftly fixed by enabling on-the-fly transcoding).

So unless I'm doing stuff that few other people do, the general user will probably be fine 99% of the time. Like I said, I've had problems on probably less than a handful of occasions, using DLNA almost every day, but I personally still vastly prefer it over having to hook stuff up with a cable.

Just my opinion though
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I believe each of your statements --

-- which changes nothing about the fact that I've only ever run into trouble once or twice (which were swiftly fixed by enabling on-the-fly transcoding).

So unless I'm doing stuff that few other people do, the general user will probably be fine 99% of the time. Like I said, I've had problems on probably less than a handful of occasions, using DLNA almost every day, but I personally still vastly prefer it over having to hook stuff up with a cable.

Just my opinion though
    You’re using a PS3 at your home with a couple of computers… that are at your home.

Take any one of your computers to the PJ in the meeting room at work and see if your DLNA client will connect…

Take it to the TV in the hotel and see if it will connect…

Take it to your in-laws and see if it will connect…

Take it to your customer’s office to show them your proposal and see if it will connect…

DLNA is marketed as the one-stop solution to connectedness, but if you actually try to use it as such, it fails awesomely.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    You’re using a PS3 at your home with a couple of computers… that are at your home.

Take any one of your computers to the PJ in the meeting room at work and see if your DLNA client will connect…

Take it to the TV in the hotel and see if it will connect…

Take it to your in-laws and see if it will connect…

Take it to your customer’s office to show them your proposal and see if it will connect…

DLNA is marketed as the one-stop solution to connectedness, but if you actually try to use it as such, it fails awesomely.

-Suntan
    Have to take your DNLA with you as well. Apple has this thing called an Apple TV but its really just a small iOS device that uses hdmi. Your other iOS devices, such as an iphone or ipad, can talk with it.

I like this approach because i can leave one of these cheap iOS devices (apple tv) at the in-laws and it makes things easy for me to show off videos to them (using airplay) and gives them Netflix at least.

It's definitely not perfect and i'd look at another platform later that isn't so closed up. But for now, it works.
    if it turns out that the touchpad has no video out at all it will kill the device right away, personally I do hope for a physical hdmi port and the touchstone dock magic wireless thingy, but these are seen mainly as a media device (not my use for it, i'm more ultra portable device)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12