View Poll Results: Are you getting a Tablet?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 63.64%
  • No

3 13.64%
  • Maybe

5 22.73%
  1.    #1  
    I just played with the Ipad and Xoom for an hour and it was entertaining and magical... but needed? ($700+ dollars needed?)

At home I use the laptop. On the go I use my phone. If you want to be productive a mouse and keyboard are quite necessary.

Is there a use case that is better than a laptop and better than a large smartphone?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Thoughts given to me on the subject:

1) Day of battery life is far more than laptop.
    2) Super quick bootup.
    3) Much bigger screen than phone
    4) Internet on the go without tiny screen
    If you're talking just about doing something productive on it (as opposed to entertainment), I think one case would be meetings or classes--a situation where the user takes some notes, maybe makes a small presentation on it, does some quick web look-up, collaboration on assignments or projects, etc.

One of the benefits in this situation is the instant- (and always-) on nature of the tablet. No boot-up, no coming out of standby--it's just on when you need it to be. And you can turn it off just as quickly. Do what you have to, turn the screen off and move to your next class/meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    At home I use the laptop. On the go I use my phone. If you want to be productive a mouse and keyboard are quite necessary.

Is there a use case that is better than a laptop and better than a large smartphone?
    Phone screen is too small for comfortable web browsing or eReading and a bigger screen certainly helps with movies and other video. Laptops are too bulky and slow to turn on. Battery life isn't good and unless you are willing to pay over $1000 you will be running Windows.
    For me, sitting/laying/reclining in front of the TV, poking at work stuff while sitting with the rest of the family.

Laptops are still too bulky, and I wouldn't want a phone that is big enough for that.

Of course, your needs/wants may be different.
    I'd question if there is in my life.

Right now, the things that attract me to these tablets are not really the form factor, but simply the improved hardware/capability over my aging netbook.

If I could have a netbook with:

-a power sipping CPU (and proper dedicated video acceleration for all the current video formats) that requires no fan and doesn't get bothered if I rest it directly on a blanket for a period of time

-a nice, vibrant IPS screen with wide viewing angles

-the ability to smoothly play flash, VC-1, h.264, etc. at the native panel res

- all day battery life

- a case that was an inch thick or less

I'd be much more inclined to get that over a tablet.

-Suntan
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I'd question if there is in my life.

Right now, the things that attract me to these tablets are not really the form factor, but simply the improved hardware/capability over my aging netbook.

If I could have a netbook with:

-a power sipping CPU (and proper dedicated video acceleration for all the current video formats) that requires no fan and doesn't get bothered if I rest it directly on a blanket for a period of time

-a nice, vibrant IPS screen with wide viewing angles

-the ability to smoothly play flash, VC-1, h.264, etc. at the native panel res

- all day battery life

- a case that was an inch thick or less

I'd be much more inclined to get that over a tablet.

-Suntan
    Yes. I sounds perfect.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I don't buy the assumption that you need a mouse and keyboard to be productive. You do for many things today because that is the paradigm for which most productivity apps were written. Change the paradigm, change the way software is written, change the game.

How ever were humans productive before the mouse and keyboard? How will we be productive long after the mouse and keyboard have gone the way of the floppy? In short, there is definitely a case for touchscreen productivity. Especially since so many people have already found ways to be productive on such devices.

Part of the challenge is generational. Old guys like me have too much muscle memory built up for full sized keyboards to be as efficient when typing on glass. We are used to the way apps look and work and find it hard to imagine any other way. But already, there is a generation coming along who are more productive on glass than we ever were driving a mouse and keyboard. Move over, grandpa! This is not your Oldsmobile.
    I see what you're saying about progress and I agree. Written communication will never go away; what changes is the method used to make those characters visible to the human eye, whether on paper or screen or hologram or whatever.

Pre-keyboard (or even pre-typewriter) days meant type was set--as in metal casts of backwards letters set in a frame and inked, then pressed onto a sheet of paper--that was mass production for you.

It's interesting to see how voice dialing and text-to-speech is progressing--and that may be the next input method to be perfected. But I wonder if we ever could truly do without a keyed input method? What will the handicapped and deaf use? Hmm, I wonder if video-to-text will ever happen? (Picture someone mouthing words silently or someone signing and it gets translated to text. WOW, that would be cool.)

Okay, sorry, a bit of a tangent there.
    Last edited by katefields; 02/25/2011 at 06:05 PM.