Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I have been anticipating the launch of the Touch Pad since the first Pre came out (I waited in line!) and seeing the prices on the upcoming Android tablets, I am a little worried about bang-for-the-buck.

    I LOOOVE the operating system, and ultimately, I will purchase the TouchPad for that alone. However, I want to point out some negatives about the TouchPad that may defer me to something else. I want to know what you all think about these things and if you share my thoughts on them:

    1. Price(!)- This is a biggie. Motorola's XOOM has been released and it is at $800. This is with 3G, 32GB of storage and a slightly larger screen with a more powerful processor than the Qualcomm on the TouchPad. They stack up pretty evenly with each other. I just hope that HP's economies of scale will be able to help them out on pricing.... I mean, I could purchase a very powerful laptop for $800. Granted its not the same convenience, but still.

    2. Carrier Lock in?- Why isn't HP announcing the carriers? I know there will be 3G versions of the TouchPad, and they haven't even announced carriers for the smartphones. What i hope is that it is not locked with a carrier, and I definitely do not want to see carrier branding on my tablet. I'm not anti "the man" or anything, I just want a tablet to use casually as a computer. And if Verizon has its way, they will FORCE the consumer to activate before they can use the hardware.

    3.Qualcomm Processor- (BY FAR the biggest negative for me) this is a negative for me because I have tested lots of smartphones on power consumption, processing power, and graphical power. Of every single comparison I have done, the Qualcomm devices (yes, all Android) were always in the bottom. If you look at the average battery life of an HTC device (that always uses Qualcomm) vs. say a Samsung or Moto device, the HTC will have approximately HALF the battery life. I'm not exaggerating. I had an Evo for a few months before I switched to a Samsung Epic and my battery life was DOUBLE on the Epic than it was on the Evo. Further personal tests have confirmed this. I also tested the HTC INcredible vs. Droid X. Same results. It worries me that HP didn't tell us what kind of battery life they were getting with the TouchPad, which basically means they are not very confident about it. WebOS has never been the best at power consumption and I'm very afraid a Qualcomm processor will accelerate the issue. However, I will say that all of the above remains to be seen. After all, it is a new processor.


    PLease note that these three things are three out of a million. So HP did a lot of things right. I just want to make sure I spend my money wisely. And if I purchase a TouchPad, I will definitely purchase a Pre 3 if it is on the right network.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    3.Qualcomm Processor- (BY FAR the biggest negative for me) this is a negative for me because I have tested lots of smartphones on power consumption, processing power, and graphical power. Of every single comparison I have done, the Qualcomm devices (yes, all Android) were always in the bottom.
    I am sorry but you can't relate IceCream to a LollyPop. Android is a completely different operating system and has many different things at it's core. If you give Android an A4 chip and compared it to the iPhone, iPhone would win. If you give it the Texas Instruments Processor the Pre has, the Pre would win. Android is not a cleaned out OS. It is a very cramped OS that is not Optimized. My bro's Hero (which has a 800 Ghz Processor) can hardly even run angry birds (and for all particle purposes it can't). The only devices you see right now with 1 GHz processors are Android, because the NEED them to run properly. I have an Evo currently (1GHz) and it runs just as fast as my Original launch day Sprint Pre. When WebOS and i-Products roll out with 1GHz or faster Processors they will plow over Android faster than a bullet.
    Sorry but you JUST CAN'T compare IceCream and a LollyPop....
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I am sorry but you can't relate IceCream to a LollyPop. Android is a completely different operating system and has many different things at it's core. If you give Android an A4 chip and compared it to the iPhone, iPhone would win. If you give it the Texas Instruments Processor the Pre has, the Pre would win. Android is not a cleaned out OS. It is a very cramped OS that is not Optimized. My bro's Hero (which has a 800 Ghz Processor) can hardly even run angry birds (and for all particle purposes it can't). The only devices you see right now with 1 GHz processors are Android, because the NEED them to run properly. I have an Evo currently (1GHz) and it runs just as fast as my Original launch day Sprint Pre. When WebOS and i-Products roll out with 1GHz or faster Processors they will plow over Android faster than a bullet.
    Sorry but you JUST CAN'T compare IceCream and a LollyPop....
    I'm sorry but if Angry Birds cannot run on an 800 GHz processor, Android is doomed.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    My bro's Hero (which has a 800 Ghz Processor) can hardly even run angry birds (and for all particle purposes it can't).
    Sorry, but you're wrong. The Hero has a 528MHz Qualcomm CPU. The reason Angry Birds (and most other games) run poorly on it is due to the lack of a GPU.

    That's a device issue, not Android.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    1. Price(!)- This is a biggie. Motorola's XOOM has been released and it is at $800. This is with 3G, 32GB of storage and a slightly larger screen with a more powerful processor than the Qualcomm on the TouchPad. They stack up pretty evenly with each other. I just hope that HP's economies of scale will be able to help them out on pricing.... I mean, I could purchase a very powerful laptop for $800. Granted its not the same convenience, but still.
    I've asked this question on here. How is HP, that has been selling fully functional PORTABLE netbooks/laptops for $299 and up going to convince that same consumer to buy a less functional TouchPad for more money?

    Seems to me that they have painted themselves in a corner by offering these cheap netbooks/laptops all these years at cheap prices, but now they want consumers to pay more for a tablet that does less. I don't see how that is going to work.

    I guess Apple was incredibly smart in never offering a junk laptop at $500. Their cheapest laptop is $999 and the cheapest iPad is $499. There is a $500 difference between a Apple laptop and a Apple tablet device. That makes it very easy for a typical consumer to see that a tablet does less than a laptop and should cost less than a laptop.

    In the PC world it's not that simple and I think it will be an issue in trying to get consumers to understand why a tablet device should cost more than a laptop, when it doesn't do more than a laptop.
  6. #6  
    It is simple. Netbook is a netbook, notebook is notebook and tablet is a tablet.
    Now you got some netbooks more expensive than baic notebooks, and notebooks prices from 300 - 2000 eur. Notebooks with touch pannel and embeded sim slot are not common and are not it low price range, so HP doesn't need to explain anything.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    It is simple. Netbook is a netbook, notebook is notebook and tablet is a tablet.
    Now you got some netbooks more expensive than baic notebooks, and notebooks prices from 300 - 2000 eur. Notebooks with touch pannel and embeded sim slot are not common and are not it low price range, so HP doesn't need to explain anything.
    That's interesting. I have heard numerous times from plenty of geeks that say why should they spend $800 on a Xoom when they can get a good laptop for that price?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I've asked this question on here. How is HP, that has been selling fully functional PORTABLE netbooks/laptops for $299 and up going to convince that same consumer to buy a less functional TouchPad for more money?

    Seems to me that they have painted themselves in a corner by offering these cheap netbooks/laptops all these years at cheap prices, but now they want consumers to pay more for a tablet that does less. I don't see how that is going to work.

    I guess Apple was incredibly smart in never offering a junk laptop at $500. Their cheapest laptop is $999 and the cheapest iPad is $499. There is a $500 difference between a Apple laptop and a Apple tablet device. That makes it very easy for a typical consumer to see that a tablet does less than a laptop and should cost less than a laptop.

    In the PC world it's not that simple and I think it will be an issue in trying to get consumers to understand why a tablet device should cost more than a laptop, when it doesn't do more than a laptop.
    So because my phone costs $600 off contract and the netbook is $299, I guess that makes my netbook less capable than my phone?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    That's interesting. I have heard numerous times from plenty of geeks that say why should they spend $800 on a Xoom when they can get a good laptop for that price?
    Pah, they call themselves geeks?! The xtreme geek owns a top-notch PC, a Laptop, a Smartphone and a Tablet at the same time! 800 Bucks would be too pricey for me though. I think 500 Bucks is the sweet spot for Tablets.

    A Tablet is not there to replace a Laptop and desktop PC altogether, it accompanies them. Sure, if you own a desktop PC and a Laptop the Tablet might replace the Laptop, but not both of them!

    However, I can see a Tablet being the only device for people like my parents. All they do is surf the web, chat and send mails...

    I will buy the TouchPad and then I will have to evaluate if I need a Laptop anymore.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I've asked this question on here. How is HP, that has been selling fully functional PORTABLE netbooks/laptops for $299 and up going to convince that same consumer to buy a less functional TouchPad for more money?...
    "less functional" is an opinion. I would say that top of the line tablets will be just as functional as netbooks soon, and tablets are far more mobile and easy to transport than laptops (14"+ screens).
  11. #11  
    Well said, SoFly. One can easily buy a fully functional touch screen laptop like the HP dm2 for $700, what can make a tablet more expensive than that? don't tell me it's SSD storage.
  12. #12  
    1-A similarly-equipped desktop is cheaper than a laptop, a similarly-equipped laptop is cheaper than a netbook, and a similarly-equipped netbook is going to be cheaper than a tablet. You're paying for the technology that enables the convience.

    2-An $800 Xoom is the top-of-the-line, un-subsidized model. Funny how closely that compares to a similarly-equipped iPad or Galaxy Tab.

    3-The Evo 4G & Epic 4G are not equal. The run different skins on top of Android, and up until this past week, they didn't even run the same version of Android. Also, the Epic 4G uses and AMOLED screen that is only 4' versus the 4.3" non-AMOLED screen on the Evo 4G.

    The conclusion to your questions: stop comparing unlike items & then drawing false conclusions. Don't buy the TouchPad until the rest of us get a feel for it & give you more solid data (or at least wait till HP announces more solid info). Or, do like you did w/ the Pre & buy an untested device and move on if it doesn't fit your needs.
    Last edited by BMIC50; 02/28/2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added one more fact
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    That's interesting. I have heard numerous times from plenty of geeks that say why should they spend $800 on a Xoom when they can get a good laptop for that price?
    i wouldn't pay 800 dollars for the Xoom. I would however pay around that price for a webOS tablet.

    I own a gaming computer that i built. It is very expensive and top of the line. I bring it with me to college and back home on breaks and i have no use for a laptop seeing as i have my 2500 dollar beast in my room. I would however like to have a tablet running webOS to bring with me to class to take notes and such.

    Oh, and for the record, i am a major geek.

Posting Permissions