Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    HP TouchPad to go on sale in China.Amazon Kindle app.

    Great news for a HP TouchPad marketing up of the device in the world most populated nation 1.341 millions inhabitants. Although the TouchPad will launch late this year, it will run smoothly by then.

    Also today Amazon announced a tailored Kindle app for the TouchPad which will allow you to browse 810,000 e-books in the Kindle store, subscribe to popular magazines or download films and TV programs.


    The full report here:

    Hewlett-Packard Co. held a news conference in Shanghai today. The company indicated that the TouchPad will go on sale in China late this year, but the price details have not yet been released.

    Palm chief executive officer Jon Rubinstein Palm unveiled that company has entered a new era of webOS in order to connect a full line of products that provide more experiences for users.

    The tablet version of webOS adds features, such as system notifications that drop down unobtrusively from the top of the screen, a stackable "deck" of multitasking applications, a resizable on-screen QWERTY keypad, and a new "touch-to-share" feature that enable users to quickly share Web pages with nearby webOS smartphones.

    The 740-grams, 13.7-mm thick TouchPad boasts a 1.2 GHz dual-core Qualcomm "Snapdragon" processor, optional embedded 3G networking, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 16GB or 32GB of storage.

    It also includes a front-facing 1.3-megapixel webcam for live video calling, enhanced audio through "Beats Audio" system, motion sensors and a microUSB port.

    The website of Amazon today announced that HP webOS will be offer a free Kindle application tailored specifically for the HP Touchpad, which allows you to browse 810,000 e-books in the Kindle store. You can subscribe to popular magazines, such as TIME, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, FORTUNE, CELEBRITY, or download films and TV programs.

    HP TouchPad to go on sale in China - People's Daily Online
  2. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #2  
    woo hoo!! -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  3. #3  
    I dont like the sounds of launching late this year.
  4. #4  
    Amazon Media Room: News Release

    That's the direct link to the Amazon announcement, if anyone's interested.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    I dont like the sounds of launching late this year.
    It makes loads of sense for it to launch in China later than in the U.S. or elsewhere. They'll have to do a lot of work to translate everything on the TouchPad into Mandarin.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    It makes loads of sense for it to launch in China later than in the U.S. or elsewhere. They'll have to do a lot of work to translate everything on the TouchPad into Mandarin.
    This will probably mean native support for many other languages and China specific wifi and 3G radios couldn't have helped matters either.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Amazon Media Room: News Release

    That's the direct link to the Amazon announcement, if anyone's interested.
    Thanks for the link I was blowing my mind browsing amazon site.
  8. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Thanks for the link I was blowing my mind browsing amazon site.
    From the amazon home page, scroll to the bottom and click Press Release. It's under Latest News for 2/9/11.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    From the amazon home page, scroll to the bottom and click Press Release. It's under Latest News for 2/9/11.
    thanks I am Amazon customer but I never realized that link was there.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    HP TouchPad to go on sale in China.Amazon Kindle app.

    Great news for a HP TouchPad marketing up of the device in the world most populated nation 1.341 millions inhabitants. Although the TouchPad will launch late this year, it will run smoothly by then.
    Don't you mean... BILLION?

    This is good news. HP is going after the largest population in the world, and taking cheap, Chinese competators head on. Also good to make ground in a place where the i-devices aren't necessarily king. Lots of enterprise to be had out there too. Bravo, HP.
  11. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Don't you mean... BILLION?

    This is good news. HP is going after the largest population in the world, and taking cheap, Chinese competators head on. Also good to make ground in a place where the i-devices aren't necessarily king. Lots of enterprise to be had out there too. Bravo, HP.
    one thousand millions = 1 billion?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #12  
    Interesting move, they've struggled in China in the last year (as discussed in their latest results) and I think WebOS will struggle against the version already embedded version of Android.
  13. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #13  
    I'm interested to know if the Kindle app will work for webOS phones too? (I used my Treo 650 to read, now using the Treo Pro to read)...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Don't you mean... BILLION?

    Outside the USA, a billion is a million of millions. A thousand million is, indeed, a thousand million.

    Edit: I'm getting old. Actually since the 90s the rest of the english speaking countries, Brazil and Russia use the american system. Well, the author of the article is from China, so I understand why he used the other system.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    one thousand millions = 1 billion?
    Here in 'merica, we use a comma.

    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Outside the USA, a billion is a million of millions. A thousand million is, indeed, a thousand million.

    Edit: I'm getting old. Actually since the 90s the rest of the english speaking countries, Brazil and Russia use the american system. Well, the author of the article is from China, so I understand why he used the other system.
    Touché, forgot not everyone uses our system :/.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I'm interested to know if the Kindle app will work for webOS phones too? (I used my Treo 650 to read, now using the Treo Pro to read)...
    I dont´see yet a kindle app for webos smarthpones Amazon.com Help: Kindle Support

    But if JR is in the amazon board of directors and we already have it for the touchpad , IMO it will come for phones anytime soon.
  17. #17  
    Hopefully this means releases in more countries in Asia and Oceania. Please HP bring WebOS down under. And if its not too much trouble can you get it on Telstra.
  18. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    I dont like the sounds of launching late this year.
    Maybe they are going by the Chinese calendar. When is the Chinese new year?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by darth_luigi View Post
    Hopefully this means releases in more countries in Asia and Oceania. Please HP bring WebOS down under. And if its not too much trouble can you get it on Telstra.
    Too much trouble translating the OS into Australian, can't imagine that will ever happen.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Outside the USA, a billion is a million of millions. A thousand million is, indeed, a thousand million.

    Edit: I'm getting old. Actually since the 90s the rest of the english speaking countries, Brazil and Russia use the american system. Well, the author of the article is from China, so I understand why he used the other system.
    I'm in Canada which is outside of the USA and I always thought a Billion was 1,000,000,000 so a thousand million. And we go by metric. At least thats what we were taught.

Posting Permissions