Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Maybe you've seen the articles,
    Apple and other music retailers purportedly looking at 24-bit, high-fidelity audio downloads -- Engadget

I mentioned in the comments section that I think HP may be a player in the transition of digital music. Interscope specifically mentioned 24bit audio in regards to beats audio at the HP event. What do I know about this, but it is nice to see.

Sorry if this seems like a fluff post
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Yea, this was mentioned by Jimmy at HP's event on february 9th... Since apple drives the news, its no suprise to me that they are being put as "leading" this type of change. Its kinda sickening but blog/news sites s*ck up to apple that way; if it's from apple's it "game changing", regardless if they were the origination of the idea or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by DD007 View Post
    Yea, this was mentioned by Jimmy at HP's event on february 9th... Since apple drives the news, its no suprise to me that they are being put as "leading" this type of change. Its kinda sickening but blog/news sites s*ck up to apple that way; if it's from apple's it "game changing", regardless if they were the origination of the idea or not...
    I agree. Apple tends to get an oversized share of the “huzzahs!” for everything they do.

But in fairness, HP would probably get more press about it if they actually had a music service running. When HP says it, it’s more of a “uh-ha… sure, get back to us when you actually have songs available to buy.”

In any case, it will take Apple’s masterful Sheppard-ing skills to get most people to think that they want 24bit audio. Even when it won't do anything for them.

-Suntan
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    In any case, it will take Apple’s masterful Sheppard-ing skills to get most people to think that they want 24bit audio. Even when it won't do anything for them.
    who cares? regardless of who is releasing it? Sure a few audiophiles* but most suckers.. sorry customers are happy to pay top dollar for low quality junk they listen to via headphones that cost $4 or some $10 desktop speakers.

* like me.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/23/2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    who cares? regardless of who is releasing it? Sure a few audiophiles* but most suckers.. sorry customers are happy to pay top dollar for low quality junk they listen to via headphones that cost $4 or some $10 desktop speakers.

* like me.
    As self described “audiophile,” do you see yourself buying music with 24 bit sampling, but still compressed in .aac format?

Somewhat of a contradiction there.

-Suntan
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    As self described “audiophile,” do you see yourself buying music with 24 bit sampling, but still compressed in .aac format?

Somewhat of a contradiction there.

-Suntan
    Sorry I meant the story - most people would go "huh? what?" and not understand the technology or see why they should buy it into, I just can't see it being a bit marketing or selling point. As for buying it myself - I've never bought digital music and I don't plan to now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Maybe you've seen the articles,
    Apple and other music retailers purportedly looking at 24-bit, high-fidelity audio downloads -- Engadget

I mentioned in the comments section that I think HP may be a player in the transition of digital music. Interscope specifically mentioned 24bit audio in regards to beats audio at the HP event. What do I know about this, but it is nice to see.

Sorry if this seems like a fluff post
    iTunes may upgrade to 24-bit files, but why bother?

great read for why apple wont even bother
    Sounds like someone will be marketing more "apps".. err more G's.. wait... more bits!
    Quote Originally Posted by DD007 View Post
    That's because Apple has an existing, capable ecosystem to store, serve, and sell upgraded-quality music. HP can put some nice speakers on a device, but can they feed that device high-quality music with their readily-available ecosystem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Apple has a lossless format as well, which creates a bit-perfect replica of the original content, which would mean it wouldn't be using AAC compression necessarily.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    see also HDCDs which Microsoft has supported since WMP9 on XP

High Definition Compatible Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia