Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP to start selling WebOS 3.0-based TouchPad in April.

These are exciting news. The HP TouchPad launch is scheduled for April 2011 according to the Taiwan component makers.

Despite HP said Summer I will take this news as RUMOR . IMHO HP was/is taking sometime until they know or have the already placed orders for the device to the original suppliers same of the iPad touch panels makers, that HP did not cancelled maybe and still with the new touch panel suppliers running additional orders for a back up. The second batch (the first was the demos and for developement apps units) also IMHO will not be big.

Of course we are guessing here.

By the other hand or way probably HP will recieve the device and will not launch it until summer . Reasons : Need to wait for most of the before apps resize , unless they have something like a tool to a fast resize making that I donīt know about it . Another reason for a summer launch might be , waiting for the Pre 3 availabiltiy.

The other appreciation made by digitimes about how the market will take the HP TouchPad in the future I have my doubts.

Here the full report:

First-tier notebook brand vendor Hewlett-Packard (HP) is set to start selling its WebOS 3.0-based tablet PC, TouchPad in April with shipments to start delivery by the end of March, according to sources from HP's upstream component partners.

The sources pointed out that HP internally is aiming to ship 45-48 million notebooks and tablet PCs combined in 2011. After deducting the volume of HP's notebook shipment forecast, HP's TouchPad series product shipments in 2011 are forecasted to be around 4-5 million units.

Since HP has adopted panel that support 1024 by 768 with aspect ratio of 4:3 for its tablet PC, different from most of Android's 16:10 design, the sources believe if HP fails to challenge Apple's iPad, the company will have great difficulties to regain its pace in the tablet PC market in the future.

In addition to tablet PCs, HP is also expected to start coordinating its smartphone products with WebOS platform to allow the platform to function with the company's different products.

HP to start selling WebOS 3.0-based TouchPad in April
    Last edited by akitayo; 02/21/2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: more information
    god I hope this is true
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Eh, HP said summer -- I don't think they were being conservative here. They have a lot of software to finish.

Not that I hope it isn't true..
    I'll be surprised if webos 3.0 is ready that quickly based on what we saw at the intro...it looked to be pretty rough at that time.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Eh, HP said summer -- I don't think they were being conservative here. They have a lot of software to finish.

Not that I hope it isn't true..
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    I'll be surprised if webos 3.0 is ready that quickly based on what we saw at the intro...it looked to be pretty rough at that time.
    Yes I agree with you. Pls read the post #1 again I just edited.
    ohhhhh come on! I really need this!
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
  7.    #7  
    Another valid reason might be the following news, to take a window oportunity for to sale the TouchPad:
    Apple New iPad Shipments May Be Delayed, Yuanta Analysts Say.

Feb. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc.’s shipments of a new version of its iPad tablet computer may be delayed to June from April because of “production bottlenecks” at manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Yuanta Securities Co. said.

The delay arose after Cupertino, California-based Apple made design changes before the Lunar New Year, according to a report by Vincent Chen and Alison Chen, analysts at Yuanta. Jill Tan, an Apple spokeswoman in Hong Kong, declined to comment on the report. Edmund Ding, a spokesman for Hon Hai, didn’t answer calls to his Taiwan and China mobile phones.

“Our checks suggest new issues are being encountered with the new production and it is taking time to resolve them,” said Chen in the report.

Apple New iPad Shipments May Be Delayed, Yuanta Analysts Say - Businessweek
    Either they will push a device that's not yet ready to the market or this is completely false. It was made clear that the framework that makes up webOS 3.0 (Enyo) is still in early alpha, that means, at the very least it's months from release.
    The hardware may be ready but not the software. If this is true, HP may address the software issue with an OTA update upon tablet activation. That, or HP will stockpile completed tablets in a werehouse until webos3 is ready for primetime.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Either they will push a device that's not yet ready to the market or this is completely false. It was made clear that the framework that makes up webOS 3.0 (Enyo) is still in early alpha, that means, at the very least it's months from release.
    If memory serves me correctly, there was another mobile device that shipped hardware before there was an SDK available. I'm almost positive the iPhone originally shipped with no SDK available, and originally with no real planse for one. Then, they finally released the SDK almost 10 months later.

Now, personally I'm not expecting the TouchPad before summer; however, I've found it interesting the HP has worded the summer time frame:
    "Planned availability this summer", almost as if the plans are subject to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, there was another mobile device that shipped hardware before there was an SDK available. I'm almost positive the iPhone originally shipped with no SDK available, and originally with no real planse for one. Then, they finally released the SDK almost 10 months later.

Now, personally I'm not expecting the TouchPad before summer; however, I've found it interesting the HP has worded the summer time frame:
    "Planned availability this summer", almost as if the plans are subject to change.
    Was that before or after the app revolution?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Was that before or after the app revolution?
    After. Palm devices had been out for years, with tens of thousands of applications already available for them at that time.

I know, I know, Apple hadn't done it yet, but that doesn't mean it hadn't been done.
    Dodged the question again. But I'll ask another one. Did Palm OS have an SDK?
    Lots and lots of software had been developed for PalmOS. So yes. PalmOS had a Software Development Kit.

But it didn't matter, because Apple had just revolutionized the market with their 3G-less, App-less Jesusphone.
    I think it's safe to say that Palm revolutionized the phone market with Palm OS. Apple did the same with the iPhone. And they are not the only ones that have created significant and positive change in the phones we have today. It's ok to give credit to these innovators, including Apple. Won't kill anyone that does so.

Back to the original question/answer: Apple did not have an SDK in 2007 because they had not launched their app store yet.
    This is great news anyways (if webos 3 isn't quite done or not)! Too bad it's the cart before the horse in HP's webos ecosystem.
    -beta testing WebOS since June 2009.
    Another rushed and not ready product from HP/Palm!
    so heres also thinking if this holds some sort of truth, then we could see the Pre 3 sooner then later, since Im pretty sure it will be shipping with Webos 2.1. Which we all know that version is already ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Dodged the question again. But I'll ask another one. Did Palm OS have an SDK?
    What question was dodged? He asked before or after, I said after. It was a pretty simple answer.

The answer to yours is as simple. Yes. Most programs were written and compiled in C, but Palm gave away a free developer kit PalmOS Developer Suite. I wrote a couple custom apps using Satellite Forms, but it wasn't free.

If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Back to the original question/answer: Apple did not have an SDK in 2007 because they had not launched their app store yet.
    That was the original question? Where? I never saw that question to "dodge" it.

The question asked was was the iPhone released before or after the apps revolution. The apps revolution, for smartphones, had begun long before the iPhone was released.

Your answer does serve to point out though, a device can succeed even if there are no third party apps available for it.

Personally, I don't think HP is going to do that though.

If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast