Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 105
  1. #81  
    Neither device had "Retina" Displays. Apple is using the same screen (or close to it) on the ipad2 as it did on the 1st device.

    Apple bought large stock and locked in a good price. The other guys are playing catch up and prices are up because demand it up.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    There was nothing before the ipad. This time apple isn't full of sit, they started and defined the mobile tablet.

    Tablet PC's, thick, pastic, (mostly pen operated), bad battery life in relation. Archos had resistive tablets running android.

    ...and joojoo lol
    Yes you are right I found some links:
    Timeline of tablet PC history
    Tablet personal computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    GRiDPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    DigiBarn Systems: GRiDpad Pen Computer


    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Yes, there were various tablets before the iPad. But, one thing...

    NO ONE BOUGHT THEM!

    Steve Jobs also said in the iPad 2 event that the first iPad sold more units in 2010 from Apr - Dec, 15 million total, than all other tablets combined.
    No the first tablets were just touch not multitouch and were bought.

    Now in the multitouch age Apple has the advantage as you said. After all they invented multitouch.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Apple bought large stock and locked in a good price. The other guys are playing catch up and prices are up because demand it up.
    In that case the others guys have to make an agressive marketing campaing, make bundle attractive offers and re-arrange their break even point.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    In that case the others guys have to make an agressive marketing campaing, make bundle attractive offers and re-arrange their break even point.
    You'd think that HP's "reach and scale" would help them source components.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You'd think that HP's "reach and scale" would help them source components.
    The principal high volume components taiwan makers will gradualy supply other brands now that in some way supplied apple first big orders. And joining the orders to the low volume makers component suppliers will help to reach initial devices launch to others.

    Now HP has estimated 4-5 millions touchpad sales for the 2011 I think, that is not too much.

    HP scale will help them to sell various devices. The target for the TouchPad and the Pre3 is the enterprise sector, besides the final consumer.
  6. #86  
    It's supply and demand. The demand currently is high. Large capacitive displays will only get cheaper.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's supply and demand. The demand currently is high. Large capacitive displays will only get cheaper.
    Yes when the taiwan makers invest in new production lines in 4Q 2011
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Some Solutions for the Apple ipad competitors :

    1)Create a Consortium where all the others tablets brands are in.

    2) Invest in stocks shares of the most required components Taiwan suppliers companies, preferely in those with the highest volume capacity production.

    3)Join investing in Samsung stocks shares for alternatives components making. They are worlds first OLED touch panels makers.
    how will this help?
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    how will this help?
    Internal supply policy, to avoid stockpile in one customer, spreading the production capacity to several customers according to the production lines available.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Internal supply policy, to avoid stockpile in one customer, spreading the production capacity to several customers according to the production lines available.
    "internal supply policy?" what does that mean.

    How is buying stock in "Taiwan suppliers" and buying stock in Samsung gonna do anything.

    If you buy stock you get equity. No more. Not to mention there are several different chip makers in phones and tablets: Texas Instruments, Qualcomm, Skyworks Solutions, Broadcom, Triquint. Not to mention Avago, a former chip division of Hewlett Packard. How's that for irony? Good luck buying up all the supply from all of them not to mention the others.

    plus it's not like every tablet or smartphone uses the same company. And if you want glass there are other companies that make displays. Hell call Corning. LG, BenQ, HannStar etc.

    But bottom line Even if you do all of that. None of that is gonna change the product that these companys are producing that people don't seem to want in the same way they want an ipad.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The principal high volume components taiwan makers will gradualy supply other brands now that in some way supplied apple first big orders. And joining the orders to the low volume makers component suppliers will help to reach initial devices launch to others.

    Now HP has estimated 4-5 millions touchpad sales for the 2011 I think, that is not too much.

    HP scale will help them to sell various devices. The target for the TouchPad and the Pre3 is the enterprise sector, besides the final consumer.
    HP doesn't just purchase components for 4-5M TouchPad, it buys a lot more of same/similar components for its other products. The scale should not be underestimated.
    And in terms of reach, I bet HP has long worked with the many of the same component makers on other products. Overall, I don't think securing supplies for necessary components is a major issue, getting the webOS 3.0 ready is a far bigger problem.
  12. #92  
    The issue here for HP is:

    - webOS 3
    - Get enough Enyo Apps to make the tablet worthwhile.

    Hardware wise this is HP: they don't have problems.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Yeah. It's not like they don't sell a **** ton of laptops and desktops with screens. Getting supplies shouldn't be much of a long term issue considering how much they buy and use.

    Different sorts of screen, the suppliers they have simply can't start making the screens they need for tablets, it doesn't work like that - which is why Apple tying up 60% of the world supply is problem.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Different sorts of screen, the suppliers they have simply can't start making the screens they need for tablets, it doesn't work like that - which is why Apple tying up 60% of the world supply is problem.
    I know they are different screens. The point is they have existing relationships with these companies and they they buy in bulk already. They can buy screens as they see fit. And they guy didn't just say laptops. he said buy stock in samsung. like that's the only chip in a tablet or phone. There's like 7 or 8.

    But, i don't profess to know who all the lcd screen vendors are. But last i read Apple's contract for screens is with LG. Go somewhere else is my advice. Again it's not like they can't have other people make a screens. If these companies are too slow to predict a year out that they'll need to contract to for supplies that's their fault for continuing to be poor business people. That's their fault for being slow. Plan ahead. They can make excuses all day. They need to stop that and start delivering.

    But the problem isn't hardware. It's the product. They can release the same product at CES and the Ipad would still have 90% market share. They'd And if they'd released the touchpad at CES, after the ipad 2 day everyone would still be going out to buy an ipad 2. These companies can go spec wars all they want and it won't change a thing cause that's not whats selling tablets.

    but again. buying stock isn't changing anything except their investment portfolio.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Guys do you remember SJ said in March 2 that all the others brands are copy cats.
    I am trying to find which was the first worlds tablet (slate) unveiled very before the iPad.
    If you have a link I will thank you very much. Thanks.
    The Compaq TC-1000 was a slate device that ran Windows XP Tablet Edition. Came out in 2001. It was my first (of many) tablet PCs.

  16. #96  
    Considering that there are multiple reports of the TouchPad coming earlier than "planned", there has to be come truth were this spurs. It was the same thing when the Palm Pixi came out (if any of you were around back then ) because there were a huge population of Rumors that all said the same thing. Many people still didn't believe them until it actually came out.

    But the biggest "Rumor" insident was the PDK leak that absolutely NO ONE believed. It was just too hard to be true (like the TouchPad release date). But then the announcement came and WHAT!! They released NFSU and even made jokes about how no one believed the leak.

    I believe that there is something up with the release date for the TouchPad. As in its not going to be just released in the 'summer'. HP knows what their doing and a bet are working day and night to get it out to compete with the iPad2 because if they do they might gain thousands of sales they would have not had ($$$).

    All of these rumors can't be started by just the will or dream of it coming out earlier. EVERY time something like this happens there was something behind the scenes happening. I think that the reasond why they didn't tell us an exact date or pricing is because they wanted to still be able to have it competitive with the iPad2 which hadn't came out yet. Apple's $500 is pretty competitive and I am really hoping that they can get a just as compelling pricing on the TouchPad.

    BTW is you are a HP worker reading this.... GET BACK TO WORK!!! lol
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Yes, there were various tablets before the iPad. But, one thing...

    NO ONE BOUGHT THEM!

    Steve Jobs also said in the iPad 2 event that the first iPad sold more units in 2010 from Apr - Dec, 15 million total, than all other tablets combined.
    Why would Jobs need to make that claim, if "no one bought them". I mean, if they sold 0, then obviously the iPad sold more. Should have just said they sold more the first day.

    I think these "Apple invented it" arguments are funny to watch.

    Apple invented it
    No, it was around before that
    Yeah, but they didn't sell
    Well, actually they did
    Yeah, but Apple did it better
    OK, but what does that have to do with "inventing" it?
    Because, only Apple did it right, therefore they invented it

    Yawn.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Considering that there are multiple reports of the TouchPad coming earlier than "planned", there has to be come truth were this spurs....
    I'm not quite as adamant about this as you are, but I noticed from the beginning the word "planned" on the release "season" every time I saw it. A lot of folks insisted that just gave them an "out" if it came later, but I'm still a little suspicious about that. Not ready to say it'll be sooner, but will say it wouldn't surprise me if it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    BTW is you are a HP worker reading this.... GET BACK TO WORK!!! lol
    That's a good one!
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why would Jobs need to make that claim, if "no one bought them". I mean, if they sold 0, then obviously the iPad sold more. Should have just said they sold more the first day.

    I think these "Apple invented it" arguments are funny to watch.

    Apple invented it
    No, it was around before that
    Yeah, but they didn't sell
    Well, actually they did
    Yeah, but Apple did it better
    OK, but what does that have to do with "inventing" it?
    Because, only Apple did it right, therefore they invented it

    Yawn.
    I've asked for this, even in here, and no one has ever responded with a link.

    Anything, any link, where Apple has claimed to invent something they didn't. They *did* invent the tablet *market* as we know it today, but they sure didn't claim to invent the tablet.

    in fact the only person I ever hear that from is nimrods who have reading comprehension issues.

    So link me to someone from Apple (a frothing no-body in comments sections doesn't count, because if we want to play that game, all OEM have stupid fans) making that claim.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why would Jobs need to make that claim, if "no one bought them". I mean, if they sold 0, then obviously the iPad sold more. Should have just said they sold more the first day.

    I think these "Apple invented it" arguments are funny to watch.

    Apple invented it
    No, it was around before that
    Yeah, but they didn't sell
    Well, actually they did
    Yeah, but Apple did it better
    OK, but what does that have to do with "inventing" it?
    Because, only Apple did it right, therefore they invented it

    Yawn.
    Remember the BASF commercials?

    Apple didn't invent the tablet, they just made it better.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions