Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    blackmagic01, I think you read him right, but I am still holding hope on an end-of-April release.
    Hopefully, HP sw developers can get a lot done in 2 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    blackmagic01, I think you read him right, but I am still holding hope on an end-of-April release.
    Hopefully, HP sw developers can get a lot done in 2 months.
    Well i hope you get your wish. i'm personally not in looking to buy any tablets. but he was asked a pretty direct question. and i noticed the thread title. Thought i'd mention it. Technically he didn't say it wasn't coming out in April but his tone was defensive. And they had analyst on to give their impressions of the interview and two specifically pointed out that they read his statement to mean it's not coming out in April. so i thought i'd mention it since it may be relevant. And it wasn't from some nobody or "the guy at my sprint store."
    I think it is far more likely that a source got the TP and iP confused. The iPad is not delayed according to the latest sources, while the TP is scheduled for summer. Easy mistake as the parts are likely being assembled at the same factory.

Manufacturing bottlenecks also line up with what we heard about the TP several months ago. Switch the pads and it all makes sense.
    Leo said, wi-fi version summer in US, worldwide in fall(!!!)

HP Shares Tank After Hours, Weak Consumer PC Sales And Services Bookings Blamed

last line of the transcript
    yep, so he wasn't intentionally being cryptic. He very much did mean, "Not April".

on a side note i found it quite interesting that HP missed on it's earnings today which were announced before the call. Not only that they lowered their guidance for next quarter rather then raising it. Which i found interesting considering they should be having new products that you'd expect to up revenue. That is unless they truly expect no devices in the up coming three months. Regardless as the article says, "Share's of HP have tanked" in after hours. Last i looked they were down 12%. Very surprised this story hasn't hit the forums (at least that i could find) or the front page.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Leo said, wi-fi version summer in US, worldwide in fall(!!!)

HP Shares Tank After Hours, Weak Consumer PC Sales And Services Bookings Blamed

last line of the transcript
    I have no idea where their "quotes" are coming from - Leo does not make such a statement in either his earnings call (Seeking Alpha have a transcript check it out for yourself) or his appearance on Street Smart. They seem to have just made it up based on a number of statements which they have merged together.

In the earning call, he says:

And most importantly, I am very pleased with our February 9, WebOS announcement. We are all excited about our WebOS platform, the devices and that we announced and the incremental opportunity that WebOS provides. The enthusiasm and the anticipation for WebOS exceeds even our most optimistic expectations. We look forward to providing a differentiated seamless experience across our tablets, Smartphones, printers, PC’s and future phones.
    He makes no statement about WebOS in the Q&A section.

What he *actually* says on Street Smart after being asked by the presenter about timings is:

As to announced dates, we haven't changed them from the announcement. We still plan to have the Veer coming out in early spring, the Pre3 in the summer and the tablet, at least a wifi version of the tablet, of our touchpad, coming out this summer in the US and selected markets.
    He also talks about how they plan to market the tablet to both enterprise and consumers.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I have no idea where their "quotes" are coming from - Leo does not make such a statement in either his earnings call (Seeking Alpha have a transcript check it out for yourself) or his appearance on Street Smart. They seem to have just made it up based on a number of statements which they have merged together.

In the earning call, he says:

He makes no statement about WebOS in the Q&A section.

What he *actually* says on Street Smart after being asked by the presenter about timings is:

He also talks about how they plan to market the tablet to both enterprise and consumers.
    Thanks, but a link to the transcript would have been better. Hewlett-Packard CEO Discusses F1Q2011 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

The BI article mentions a CNBC interview. I found it and they definitely added things that Leo never said. Goes to show you the liberties that journalists take and that you should hear it from the person directly and in context.
    News Headlines talks about webOS at 5:00 minute mark

Edit: The news release from the A New HP World event site states that China is expected to get the Touchpad 'later this year'. http://www.anewhpworld.com/media_news.aspx
    Last edited by spare; 02/23/2011 at 12:27 PM.
  8.    #48  
    Although Apple is always consistent with the announcements dates . Multiple sources are saying that the iPad2 will be showed this March 2 but will be available in June and not in April as usual. We have 7 days to March 2 yet. Lets see then what will really happen.

If that its true HP should take the open window opportunity to make a launch in April instead "planned for summer".
    this is what Cathie Lesjak – EVP, CFO said in the Q&A sessino

"And finally, in the second half of the year, we’ll also benefit from the launch of our new webOS family of products. And so I think that kind of shows what happens in the second half."

not sure this 2nd half is from a product launch perspective or accounting perspective.
    repost deleted
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    this is what Cathie Lesjak – EVP, CFO said in the Q&A sessino

"And finally, in the second half of the year, we’ll also benefit from the launch of our new webOS family of products. And so I think that kind of shows what happens in the second half."

not sure this 2nd half is from a product launch perspective or accounting perspective.
    I think they are forecasting profits from the very beginning of the launch of webos products
    Didn't an investor say the PalmPad (back in December/January) would ship in March and be available in April? I'm sure there's an article on here somewhere..
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Didn't an investor say the PalmPad (back in December/January) would ship in March and be available in April? I'm sure there's an article on here somewhere..
    Recent digitimes news are reporting Inventec will start the production of the Touchpad at the end of March (4-5 millions units)IMO All the components makers have delivered them to Inventec who will assembled together.

For that amount of units I think something big is coming with HP enterprise webos sales as posted on PC frontpage, in the next month.
    HP gearing up for Enterprise webOS sales | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

The full digitimes report here:

Taiwan-based notebook maker Inventec is expected to ship about four million notebooks in the first quarter of 2011 with half of the volume enterprise notebooks from Hewlett-Packard (HP), according to sources from upstream component makers.

Due to enterprise replacement of PCs starting to pick up, Inventec's shipments to the enterprise market is starting to rise. In addition to notebooks, the company's server orders are also maintaining at a high level, the sources noted.

For the second quarter, Inventec is still expected to have orders for about 2-2.1 million enterprise notebooks from HP, and with Toshiba and Dell's orders, Inventec is expected to be able to maintain quarterly notebook shipments of four million units for the first half of 2011.

In additional news, Inventec is ready to start producing HP's TouchPad tablet PC products at the end of March and the device's internal shipment goal of 4-5 million units is expected to benefit Inventec's performance starting March.

Inventec expected to have notebook shipments of 4 million units in 1Q11
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So Akitayo - leo is lying in the interview? He's mistaken? or they are simply making up his answers?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    In additional news, Inventec is ready to start producing HP's TouchPad tablet PC products at the end of March and the device's internal shipment goal of 4-5 million units is expected to benefit Inventec's performance starting March.

Inventec expected to have notebook shipments of 4 million units in 1Q11
    Producing and shipping are not one in the same. It may very well be true that production will begin to ramp up come March/April, but they may not actually ship until months later.
    i'm gonna take Leo's word for it considering he's likely more in the know.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So Akitayo - leo is lying in the interview? He's mistaken? or they are simply making up his answers?
    I wont guess this time , but wait to the next month HP enterprise/partners event, where something new might come about how HP will sell the devices through channels, bundles, carriers and prices.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Producing and shipping are not one in the same. It may very well be true that production will begin to ramp up come March/April, but they may not actually ship until months later.
    yes you might be right. IMHO apparently one more step before shipping the hardware is need to be done . Load the software and apps. This is the key step for the Touchpad and are going to take sometime.

I dont know where the SW will be loaded. Maybe at Inventec facilities too, but Inventec will wait for HP delivery of it, some time.
    Even if this was accurate, they cannot speak for HP. HP will check the TouchPads before they are sent out, and if there are any delays, on top of getting it shipped out worldwide, and working the bugs out of 3.0 it would be impossible for them to know the release date. Only HP knows when that is.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Even if this was accurate, they cannot speak for HP. HP will check the TouchPads before they are sent out, and if there are any delays, on top of getting it shipped out worldwide, and working the bugs out of 3.0 it would be impossible for them to know the release date. Only HP knows when that is.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Totally agree
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast