Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone has different use cases, but as I ponder the iPad, Honeycomb and WebOS tablets, I've been thinking about how many of the 500K iOS do I really need to be happy.

Truth is, not many. Of course, when something compelling comes out, I don't want to wait 12-18 months for it, but as of now, my needs aren't that great.

How about you? What apps must the TouchPad and HP provide for you to relinquish app-envy?

My needs:
    • Conduit to MS OneNote
    • Presentation app
    • Quickoffice
    • GotomyPC
    • VPN
    • ABC
    • CNN
    • Flipboard
    • GotoMeeting
    • Facetime or equivalent
    • Dropbox or equivalent
    • eBook app with Amazon
    • Audible.com
    • Dragon Dictation
    • Good FTP client
    • PowerOne Financial Calc or equivalent
    • Pandora
    • Online TV/Radio app (integrates multiple stations)
    • Sign and Send

For Phone Only
    • Mint.com
    • Driving Directions

HP ought to be able to get commitments on most of these by launch even if they aren't ready for some time after.
    VNC of some kind

Some kind of video calling (with computers, not just other webos devices.)

Netflix on demand

Hulu (not plus) either through browser or dedicated app.

Drivers to load pictures/files on/off of a USB cardreader (would have much preferred an SD slot)

Bonus would be a decent general purpose html editor plus ftp ability to upload to the webhosting server.

-Suntan
  3.    #3  
    None of this seems out of reach for HP. Your apps needs very modest.
    There is one app these lists always leave out: the next one. You will be content with your app selection until there is another app you really want, but don't have access to. That's the one the catalogue never seems to have, and that's the only one that matters. Getting the last big thing is easy; getting the next one is what makes a platform.
    >>Hulu (not plus) either through browser or dedicated app.

(Big off topic comment coming.....)

I feel I need to correct this because I see people alluding all the time to the lack of hulu on mobile devices being a failure of Flash. It's HULU not Flash. Hulu (regular version) has an agreement for many of its shows that preclude them being shown on mobile devices or on TV.

Period. They created Hulu Plus to be their vehicle for delivering shows on mobile and on TV. (Which is why much of what you see on Hulu is not available on Hulu Plus).

I don't care what Flash solutions every get enable for anyone: Hulu will only play where their contracts allow them to.
    This is what I use daily, and note some are not both iPad and iPhone, some are exclusive to either or:

1. Path [http://www.path.com/] <- Has almost replaced Facebook for me w/ family and close friends.
    2. Kik - Has allowed me to cut back on txting and save money now that most my family and friends use it.
    3. Wakemate - WakeMate – Wake up fresh; sleep smarter - WakeMate Seriously, this has changed my life and how I feel daily.
    4. Netflix
    5. RememberTheMilk.com
    6. Skype / Facetime
    7. HeyTell - A pretty cool walkie-talkie like app that I've been trying out with some friends and family. Has some very cool usage (when driving for example, perfect for short quick messages)
    8. Dropbox
    9. Kindle
    10. Springpad
    11. Picplz - picplz mobile photo sharing for iPhone and Android
    Thanks for the clarification but I'm well aware of the stipulations. I didn't "allude" to anything w/ regards to flash.

If the tp has full flash capability, it would be pretty trivial for a homebrewer to release a program that would spoof the identifying bits to make hulu servers believe they were talking with a regular-joe computer.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>Hulu (not plus) either through browser or dedicated app.

(Big off topic comment coming.....)

I feel I need to correct this because I see people alluding all the time to the lack of hulu on mobile devices being a failure of Flash. It's HULU not Flash. Hulu (regular version) has an agreement for many of its shows that preclude them being shown on mobile devices or on TV.

Period. They created Hulu Plus to be their vehicle for delivering shows on mobile and on TV. (Which is why much of what you see on Hulu is not available on Hulu Plus).

I don't care what Flash solutions every get enable for anyone: Hulu will only play where their contracts allow them to.
    I'm a simple guy. I don't expect the world and more from simple consumer electronics gadgets and as such, I'm usually not as crushed as some of the people around here turn out to be.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    None of this seems out of reach for HP. Your apps needs very modest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Thanks for the clarification but I'm well aware of the stipulations. I didn't "allude" to anything w/ regards to flash.

If the tp has full flash capability, it would be pretty trivial for a homebrewer to release a program that would spoof the identifying bits to make hulu servers believe they were talking with a regular-joe computer.

-Suntan
    I was pretty sure you knew that, but I've read it enough that I wanted to make the point.

But you do bring up another point: will developers (or content providers) continue to innovate and create if their work can be scarfed for free?

I think its one reason why as successful as the Android Market is, why many of the niche apps are just not as "nice." The devs are making no where near the money they are making with their iOS devices.

The dark underbelly of a lot of the cry for "openness" also serves to undercut the people making the apps that we enjoy.

But that's a different topic, for another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan
    Not possible. A simple user agent spoof does not work. It's been tried, on many different platforms; the user agent is captured through Flash, which is closed source.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is one app these lists always leave out: the next one. You will be content with your app selection until there is another app you really want, but don't have access to. That's the one the catalogue never seems to have, and that's the only one that matters. Getting the last big thing is easy; getting the next one is what makes a platform.
    While I don't disagree, I'm much more patient if I have my basic functionality needs covered. For example, Flipboard seems pretty cool. I'd like to try it out and not having it on the TouchPad would be a disappointment. However, it's not essential and I could wait. 12 months of waiting is too much.

Just 18 months ago, sites would wait quite awhile to make a mobile app. That's changed and new sites are launching with an app out of the box. I think they could do themselves a big favor and just launch a webkit/safari capable mobile site while they ponder app development.
    Audible and Netflix would be nice.
    Forgot to mention, another one that would be nice to have would be "Glyder 3." Glyder 2 was one of the few phone based games I enjoyed as an actual game, not just as a time-waster while stuck somewhere.

...That is, if asking for that is ok with the "Hulu-police"...

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not possible. A simple user agent spoof does not work. It's been tried, on many different platforms; the user agent is captured through Flash, which is closed source.
    There is a Hulu app for my Epic 4G that's been posted and updated on XDA Developers since last November, I think. I never bothered with it because I rarely watch video on my phone, and when I do, it's movies that I load on there for me or my son, not TV shows. But from all accounts, it works.
    Evernote would be nice
    Grooveshark (webos needs update)
    tunewiki
    swiftkey
    gmail
    netflix

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Essential:
    VNC
    Gmail
    outlook
    MS office (word/excel/ppoint). Not just a viewer on the first two.

If I have that if I have to I can get to most anything else I need.

Nice:
    A remote desktop (windows) client
    Netstumbler
    Aircrack or equivalent
    Spotify. One that works in North America.
    Photoshop with capability to edit even raw files, and compatibility with wireless image transfer to touch pad from camera.

A offline navigation software that has maps like Garmin and nokia so that it can work offline.

plugins that will allow us to browse and see the videos online even if they are based on Windows media player, divex, or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Wakemate - WakeMate Wake up fresh; sleep smarter - WakeMate Seriously, this has changed my life and how I feel daily.
    Hey, feel like expanding a little more on this one?
    skype..with full chat and video calling abilities
    Other IM services that actually work (aim is very spotty in the UK)
    Full PDF reader
    Full doc editing suite
    a way to communicate with my mac access files on it when on the same network, possible remotely
    browser that renders pages quickly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast