Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Found this interesting read, thought I would share.

The TouchPad runs a newer version of webOS, v3.0. Visually, it looks quite similar to the previous one, which is not bad. The OS still looks excellent with the level of multitasking that is the best across all the mobile platforms out there right now. Even the notification system has been done very well and Apple could learn a thing or two from it. Also, from what we have seen in the videos, the device seems to run very smooth, thanks to a combination of powerful hardware and well optimized software.

read the rest at: Everything Points To The HP Touchpad As A Smashing Success
    Nice find, although it isn't really an "article".

I'm hoping that it won't attract a bunch of negative Apple promotion!
    always late to the party, if price reported is correct, or if wifi version will be even later...

I don't know, I hope it will be a smash hit, but it probably will be hit w/o my money involved.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    for hp, it will be all about pricing. the low end tablet needs to be 599 at most with the touchstone included.... if they had realeased it now or late march they might've had a chance to sell it for 700....
    if i were them i would try to sell it at break even just to maximize their base. if its a hit they will make up their money through apps and services anyway,...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    IMHO by the time the touchpad ships it will need to be $399 or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It should be priced at or less than the ipads

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Where the button "I Agree"?

For this price AND a many ads, can be a big sucess...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    $399 or less is overly optimistic and rather unrealistic. I don't think we'll see anything under $450...competitive with iPad on pricing but in no way a "steal" unless you are counting a subsidized device from your wireless carrier.
    while I would love to get this device at 399 (what a steal!) i'd hope the market pressure isn't that strong. I honestly don't see the XOOM selling incredibly well at 800 and the ipad2 will be grossly overpriced.

i'd say 500 is a good deal.

but then again, HP will have to compete against the discounted Ipad1...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    but then again, HP will have to compete against the discounted Ipad1...
    Which is why they need to get on as many carriers as possible and offer the subsidized touchpads. If it were a choice between a $200 touchpad on Sprint (4G, please!) or have to either switch to AT&T or Verizon to buy a 3G iPad (or buy a wifi-only version)...well, I don't think a lot of folks would want to switch carriers or settle for wifi-only.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    You're insane. They need to be competitive with Apple but not priced as junk.

I'm not saying it has to be priced low to
    be successful, but by summertime I'll probably not be interested in paying more than $400 either.

I know slim and thin costs money, and IPS panels cost much more than TN panels, but I bought a $400 netbook years ago and the TP doesn't look to do much more.

-Suntan
    Last edited by Suntan; 02/21/2011 at 09:06 AM.
    As much as I'd like to see the TouchPad become a "smashing success", it's too early to speculate. We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    if HP was smart, they would release it around the time everyone gets their tax returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    You're insane. They need to be competitive with Apple but not priced as junk.

Ipad 2 16gb wifi will start at 499 (assuming). Xoom wifi at 599. Refurb ipads (first version) already at 429.

Saying that the (base level) Touchpad needs to be 399 or less is not insane, its on the money. Let's put it this way, even at 399 i'd have a tough time justifying buying a Touchpad. The ipad? It's got a much stronger ecosystem, app base, etc. Xoom? It's got core google services, direct updates from google, etc. Neither really have going concern issues.

The Touchpad has webOS. It's a reboot basically. HP/Palm also doesn't seem that concerned having lower priced devices define their platform. It's already this way with smartphones. You think webOS, you think low end budget phones (Pre, veer, etc). That would be quite the trick to be considered a premium brand in webOS tablets but low end/budget brand in webOS phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Ipad 2 16gb wifi will start at 499 (assuming). Xoom wifi at 599. Refurb ipads (first version) already at 429.

Saying that the (base level) Touchpad needs to be 399 or less is not insane, its on the money. Let's put it this way, even at 399 i'd have a tough time justifying buying a Touchpad. The ipad? It's got a much stronger ecosystem, app base, etc. Xoom? It's got core google services, direct updates from google, etc. Neither really have going concern issues.

The Touchpad has webOS. It's a reboot basically. HP/Palm also doesn't seem that concerned having lower priced devices define their platform. It's already this way with smartphones. You think webOS, you think low end budget phones (Pre, veer, etc). That would be quite the trick to be considered a premium brand in webOS tablets but low end/budget brand in webOS phones.
    what leads you to believe that the new pre (pre3) will be a budget/low end phone?
    "Both the new Veer and Pre3 phones, and the TouchPad itself, share the same brilliantly minimalist design and impressive build quality"

Okay, I haven't seen that about WebOS until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    what leads you to believe that the new pre (pre3) will be a budget/low end phone?
    Agreed with this question...

The Pre 3 likely will not be low end in price. If anything, it's risk comes from being priced too high.

They've gone to great lengths to label it as a "business phone" (another way of saying this is "an expensive phone.")

Just for the record, I think the Pre3 (assuming it comes with everything we expect it to have *and* a good deal of top teir apps at release date) is worthy of being compared next to any of the phones available now or in the near future. But the lack of name recognition alone will kill it if it comes in substantially above the other offerings.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Name & branding. Previous editions were considered mid to low end.

Timing of release. Comes after iphone 5 & others.

It's form factor. Portrait kb phones tend to be labeled as anything but high end.

It's lack of apps & ecosystem.
    Everything Points To The HP Touchpad As A Smashing Success
    This is the title of the article and the thread. All I can say is that is a very optimistic worldview.

I would probably say some things point to the HP Touchpad as a moderately successful, second-tier player in the tablet space. That is probably not as catchy of a headline.

It could definitely give some of the future offerings a run for their money, but even that depends on pricing and availability. So far, neither looks like a win for HP. Time will tell.

My outlook for the TP would be a little brighter if it was coming out sooner at an aggressive price. By the time it hits the shelves, another 10M iPads will be sold, along with countless other non-Apple pads. Each sale represents a customer no longer in the market for a TP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast