Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Name & branding. Previous editions were considered mid to low end.

Timing of release. Comes after iphone 5 & others.

It's form factor. Portrait kb phones tend to be labeled as anything but high end.

It's lack of apps & ecosystem.
    that would all be relevant if the we were discussing the pre3's prospects of success (in terms of large sales volume), but none of that makes it a low end/budget phone. [by point of example: the echo might be a terrible idea, and a disappointment, but you can't describe it as a low end/budget phone]
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see how anyone can consider the TouchPad to be anything other than a HP tablet hardware beta test. The number of apps for this device will probably start off very low
    I think there is a notable distinction between “beta” and “has few apps in the app catalog at release.”

Beta means that the standard functionality that was promised at release is not there or doesn’t work very well. If the standard apps work well on release, the TP already has a lot of usability baked in. Enough to justify its price to a lot of people that just want a competent web browser/email client in a mobile package.

Sure, if you buy one of these gadgets with the desire to instantly load it up with apps from an online catalog, you’re probably looking in the wrong place for the next year or two. If you’re looking for a tablet that works well with your (WebOS) phone, it may be a very good product to buy on day one.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I think there is a notable distinction between “beta” and “has few apps in the app catalog at release.”

Beta means that the standard functionality that was promised at release is not there or doesn’t work very well. If the standard apps work well on release, the TP already has a lot of usability baked in. Enough to justify its price to a lot of people that just want a competent web browser/email client in a mobile package.

Sure, if you buy one of these gadgets with the desire to instantly load it up with apps from an online catalog, you’re probably looking in the wrong place for the next year or two. If you’re looking for a tablet that works well with your (WebOS) phone, it may be a very good product to buy on day one.

-Suntan
    Which brings up another problem. If a chief selling point is how well it works with your WebOS phone, and only one American carrier is selling a current WebOS device - one that may never have tap-to-share - it's hard to make that argument to a customer, don't you think?

We don't know if HP will get any other American carriers or even if they do, whether they will give them a showing stronger than the absolutely pathetic "launch" of the Pre 2 on Verizon.
    I guess HP could be lying to us, but they have been making a point of going on and on about how well the various webos products work together as well as stating that the veer and pre3 are just the beginning. Do you honestly believe the veer and pre3, just on verizon, will be the only webos phones available for the forseeable future?

In any case, the pre3 on verizon is exactly what I'm waiting for. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

-Suntan
    I'm not certain at all of what the future holds for HP, hence my post above. In fact the reason why I don't feel certain is because I don't feel HP is in any way certain. Their last public showing - less than two weeks ago - raised far more questions than it answered. Between stuff arriving in "spring" and "summer", the lack of prices or carriers, their vague vision for WebOS on PCs, and Rubinstein's promises to "make it right" to original WebOS owners, the future for HP's WebOS seems cloudier than ever to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see how anyone can consider the TouchPad to be anything other than a HP tablet hardware beta test...
    If that's the case, then it's obvious you don't understand what "beta" products are.
    Spun differently: between new and pretty amazing hardware arriving soon, HP publicly embracing webOS to the point of putting it on PCs and Rubinstein's promises to "make it right" to original webOS owners, the future of HP's webOS seems sunnier than ever.

People have come a long way from predictions that HP would straight-away abandon webOS and only release the Pre 2 this year... Then when HP proves them wrong and finally showed some of what's in the pipeline (go back two months and see what every other comment on the front page said: "JUST SHOW US WHAT'S COMING"), with hints at more to come soon and their determination to put it on PCs, that's not good enough either, because the Pre 3's 1.4 GHz processor may merely be on par with other high-end phones releasing this summer. Sheesh.
    There are too many unknowns to prematurely call the TouchPad a success. Cost and software will be the defining factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Spun differently: between new and pretty amazing hardware arriving soon, HP publicly embracing webOS to the point of putting it on PCs and Rubinstein's promises to "make it right" to original webOS owners, the future of HP's webOS seems sunnier than ever.

People have come a long way from predictions that HP would straight-away abandon webOS and only release the Pre 2 this year... Then when HP proves them wrong and finally showed some of what's in the pipeline (go back two months and see what every other comment on the front page said: "JUST SHOW US WHAT'S COMING"), with hints at more to come soon and their determination to put it on PCs, that's not good enough either, because the Pre 3's 1.4 GHz processor may merely be on par with other high-end phones releasing this summer. Sheesh.
    That's a sunny picture for someone who already has their eyes set on WebOS and is content to wait. That's a fraction of a fraction of a drop of water in the ocean of mobile device users.

For the rest, they need something besides "soon", "coming months" "it'll be on PCs in some form" and the rest of the high level blather. I don't care about specs so much.

I care about 1)details on what you're doing and 2)being able to see it for myself very soon after you tell me. So do most people. HP delivered very little of either, hence things being cloudy. That's not spin. Cloudy isn't negative. It just means you can't see what's coming. I don't think they have a complete idea either. They're scrambling, making contradictory statements, freezing out developers, and lots of other rookie mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

For the rest, they need something besides "soon", "coming months" "it'll be on PCs in some form" and the rest of the high level blather. I don't care about specs so much.
    Jeez... What does it take to make you people content? A five page legal document signed and notarized by an official company representative promising this, that and the kitchen sink?

The thing hasn't been released. It's weeks/months from being released. It isn't like HP's pounding your door down demanding money up front.

Cripes, if it's too much for you, make a promise to yourself that you will never buy another product from this company, or any company that doesn't guarantee you 100% continuous service satisfaction (including endless software updates and guarantees for software applications that haven't even been thought up yet) for as long as you own any product they make...

Sounds silly doesn't it? Yet the endless whining about a product that hasn't even been released yet is also silly.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not certain at all of what the future holds for HP, hence my post above. In fact the reason why I don't feel certain is because I don't feel HP is in any way certain. Their last public showing - less than two weeks ago - raised far more questions than it answered. Between stuff arriving in "spring" and "summer", the lack of prices or carriers, their vague vision for WebOS on PCs, and Rubinstein's promises to "make it right" to original WebOS owners, the future for HP's WebOS seems cloudier than ever to me.
    Big deal. It's an electronic tablet for surfing the web and other online dinking. If we were talking about the Medtronic company, and some pacemaker that a doctor was suggesting you have patched into your chest, I could see the need for all the hand-wringing. As it is, I don't understand all the endless chicken-little consternation about the future of a websurfing tablet.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There are too many unknowns to prematurely call the TouchPad a success. Cost and software will be the defining factors.
    Yep, it's too soon to call it a success. That's why the article said everything points to it being a smashing success.

And no, cost and software won't be defining factors. They may be deciding factors, but not defining. Number of sales and profits will be the defining factors.
    Jeez... What does it take to make you people content? A five page legal document signed and notarized by an official company representative promising this, that and the kitchen sink?

The thing hasn't been released. It's weeks/months from being released. It isn't like HP's pounding your door down demanding money up front.

Cripes, if it's too much for you, make a promise to yourself that you will never buy another product from this company, or any company that doesn't guarantee you 100% continuous service satisfaction (including endless software updates and guarantees for software applications that haven't even been thought up yet) for as long as you own any product they make...

Sounds silly doesn't it? Yet the endless whining about a product that hasn't even been released yet is also silly.

-Suntan
    I don't think a five page document is what they are looking for. I think this will make them feel better
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't think a five page document is what they are looking for. I think this will make them feel better
    Ah, that brings back memories. And so true. Some people are so whipped up over their sense of entitlement that anything short of a pound of flesh is unacceptable.

-Suntan
    That movie, and the jelly of the month club, are truly gifts that keep on giving.
    I barely payed over $400 for my hp dual core laptop. I thoiugh palm was done with the $500 phones. I will get the pre3 plus fromm verizon with my 2 year deal, but ipad prices for a tablet is going to push me out, no matter how I love webos
    Last edited by justobe09; 02/21/2011 at 06:50 PM.
    http://www.philipsownweb.com
    palm zire 35, palm lifedrive, palm tre750, palm cetro, palm pixi plus, palm pre plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That movie, and the jelly of the month club, are truly gifts that keep on giving.
    Thanks! This has got to be one of my top 5 EVER!

LOVE IT!

Oh, and I agree, HP needs to put there money where there mouth is $400.00 for TP..l.. is magic #, They need to follow up with...HUGE Marketing support behind it.Continued Brand building as during Grammy's. Looking at recent 3rd Party Business App support news for Web OS, and there commitment to APP development.... sounds like there serious. I really feel that HP's reach will be leveraged and WebOS is the GLUE. They really need to sell the OS's awesome seamless multitasking and openness to the Smart Phone world's population.

And OH, Can't wait to get my hands on a PRE3! so SEXY!

Yeah DADDY! On Sprint............soon
    Played with an iPad for the first time today and also read this article which sort of sums up how i feel. Really like webOS after a week with my Pre2 and think it would be great in a tablet... but meh maybe i don't want one.

Why I don't care very much about tablets anymore
    The same things provided by many other companies when they announce a product would suffice. Carrier? Quarter or month? Price? Details of things like WebOS on PCs and HP Movie Store?

Awesome response to a complaint no one is making. Maybe you copied and pasted it in this post by mistake?
    Man if we think 600 or 700 for a tablet is too high, how about $500 for an empty shell laptop dock that only works with a phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast