1.    #1  
    Is the snapdragon going to be able to preform just as good as the omap 4 processor in the Playbook? Does the ARM A9 have a significant performance lead over the A8?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Is the snapdragon going to be able to preform just as good as the omap 4 processor in the Playbook? Does the ARM A9 have a significant performance lead over the A8?
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/l...e-smartphone/4

Check out that link for comparisons between the different cores. Snapdragon does not use an A8 core and there are different variations of each type of core. Also, this article talks about the 8660 which is not what the new hp devices use.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    What do you mean by perform better? In terms of pure speed? Handling "multitasking"?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Cortex A9 is 2.5 dmips/mhz per core vs. Snapdragon is 2.1 dmips/mhz per core. But Snapdragon can do 1.2 Ghz with about the same amount of battery life as a Cortex A9 doing 1 Ghz. And 2.1x1.2 = 2.52. So basically the TouchPad and the Playbook will have the same amount of raw CPU power.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Before we start that discussion however, we need to talk about multithreading in Android. Android itself already is multithreaded natively, in fact, that’s part of delivering speedy UI. The idea is to render the UI using one thread and distribute slow tasks into a background threads as necessary. In the best case multithreaded scenario on Android, the main thread communicates to child threads using a handler class, and hums along until they come back with results and messages. It’s nothing new from a UI perspective—keep the thread drawing the screen active and speedy while longer processes run in the background. The even better part is that multiprocessor smartphones can immediately take advantage of multiple cores and distribute threads appropriately with Android. That said, Android 3.x (Honeycomb) brings a much tighter focus on multithreading and bringing things like garbage collecting off of the first CPU and onto the second. In case you haven't figured it out by now, Android releases generally pair with and are tailored to a specific SoC. If you had to assign those, it'd look something like this: 2.0-2.1—TI OMAP3, 2.2—Qualcomm Snapdragon, 2.3—Samsung Hummingbird, 3.0—Tegra 2

sexy... I wish I knew where webOS was with multithreading and it makes sense that if they are lacking in it that they went with 1.4 on the pre3
    Last edited by Titan078; 02/21/2011 at 02:19 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    What do you mean by perform better? In terms of pure speed? Handling "multitasking"?
    I mean which can do more multitasking, better battery life and/or better graphics. And thanks for all the replies everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Cortex A9 is 2.5 dmips/mhz per core vs. Snapdragon is 2.1 dmips/mhz per core...
    hmmm... too bad I couldn't have gotten a quarter more dmips....

-Suntan