1.    #1  
    I was wondering what the bluetooth range was for the TouchPad. I am really interested in pairing it with say a pre 3 and I am like all the demos say, come in put my phone down and only check it every couple hours and miss messages and called, but I do have a computer or hopefully this future tablet with me. so I was wonder at what range the pairing and syncing can be done. I know the blue tooth version is 2.1 + EDR and I know there are 3 classes for bluetooth which are:

Class 1 100 20 ~100 meters
    Class 2 2.5 4 ~10 meters
    Class 3 1 0 ~1 meters

so does anyone know which class the device is or what distance the two devices can communicate at?

I sure hope it is some where in the Class1-2 range. even though I think 10 meters isnt far enough for me.
    I'd be surprised if it was anything but Class 2. I'm unsure why Class 1 is so rare, though it might have something to do with power consumption. I think every BT device I've ever used has been Class 2.

I'm also worried about the performance of the phone call forwarding from Pre3 to TouchPad. In my experience, it takes a minor miracle for Bluetooth voice connectivity to function with any degree of clarity beyond two or three feet, let alone 10.

SMS forwarding should (hopefully) be fine, but I don't know -- I never use Bluetooth to transfer data over room-sized distances.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

I'm also worried about the performance of the phone call forwarding from Pre3 to TouchPad. In my experience, it takes a minor miracle for Bluetooth voice connectivity to function with any degree of clarity beyond two or three feet, let alone 10.
    Is your experience in open spaces or with several obstructions?

I've had great success with open spaces or a single obstruction but put a couple walls in the way and as you say, three feet is a minor miracle. Though technically the several walls was over a 10 foot distance.
    Walls? Heh. Bluetooth doesn't need walls to trip over its own feet, in my experience.

I'll get a little more specific. Of the experiences I can remember, I've used Bluetooth with most late-model Motorola iDEN phones for Nextel, several Blackberries, an HTC Mogul, my HTC Evo, and a Pre- and Pre2.

Bluetooth devices have typically been Motorola HS810 and H700 headsets, a Jabra BT200 headset, and a cheap Chinese speakerphone module.

With everything but the BT200 from Jabra, I had to keep the BT headset and paired phone on the same side of my body to avoid getting static interference. So if I had my phone in my left pants pocket and the headset on my right ear, I'd get static.

This behavior also manifests itself using my Evo paired with the Chinese contraption (seriously, it doesn't even have a brand name, so of course it's a non-performer).

Maybe it's me; maybe I'm just awful at Bluetooth. But it seems like a really weak standard, IMO.
    I've had 2 single ear sets, a Motorola and a Sennheiser, and a stereo set, Motorola S7-HD. I've used an LG "dumb" phone a couple years ago, LG Dare, iTouch, Pre+, and a PS3. Never head any of the issues you're describing with them and in fact that first motorola ear piece from a couple years ago still works.
    Glad to hear that -- I'm hoping that HP has put some high-end BT hardware into the P3 and TouchPad, but I'm still not counting on voice calls through the TouchPad to be any good at all in an "across the house" situation.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, though. Not that any of it makes any difference, as I ignore 5 out of 7 phone calls anyway. SMS forwarding is the fun part.
  7.    #7  
    thanks for all the insight, I personally have never used bluetooth, haven't really had a need. that is why I was trying to get a idea of what it might be. I also hear they were messing around with potentially using wifi to forward text and call at a farther distance but that is just testing and research. I sure hope they have the proper hardware to support this kind of idea if not that would be a waste of a great idea. I guess we will find out when we get the hardware specs.
    BlueTooth was designed differently from what we all think of with wireless. On a WiFi network, you pick a channel and you stay on it. With BlueTooth, it uses the entire public 2.4GHz spectrum, but skips around it like the feed of a player piano. (Actress Hedy Lamarr co-invented the frequency hopping concept used in BlueTooth.) It is subject to interference from WiFi networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, security cameras, other BlueTooth devices, and anything else that resides in that frequency band.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    I would not suggest using bluetooth in an "across the house" situation. At most I'd look at across the room, across the hall, or in a near by room.

Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    thanks for all the insight, I personally have never used bluetooth, haven't really had a need. that is why I was trying to get a idea of what it might be. I also hear they were messing around with potentially using wifi to forward text and call at a farther distance but that is just testing and research. I sure hope they have the proper hardware to support this kind of idea if not that would be a waste of a great idea. I guess we will find out when we get the hardware specs.
    I'd have to agree with that though, if they are going with this idea I hope they've thought about these limitations. If they're going to use BT between devices like that they can't really go with the standard Class 2. The alternative with existing tech would be fore them to use your home WiFi network or forwarding on the cell network.
    Forwarding on the cell network provides a capacity issue for the cellular company of using twice the bandwidth for a single call. BlueTooth is far more likely to be used. Whether they go with them being a Class 1 or a Class 2 device, I don't know, but there are steering tricks that can be done with MIMO antennae that can improve reception at the expense of greater power use.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I would not suggest using bluetooth in an "across the house" situation. At most I'd look at across the room, across the hall, or in a near by room.
    I'm principally concerned with the average non-tech person's expectations. People like us, here on the forum, are the ones who want to know how the traffic/voice forwarding works. The average consumer doesn't know or care that Bluetooth is the protocol used to deliver his voice calls from his Pre3 to his TouchPad, so he may well try to leave his phone across the house while taking calls on his TP. Hopefully a notification will pop up if you go out of range.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    BlueTooth was designed differently from what we all think of with wireless. On a WiFi network, you pick a channel and you stay on it. With BlueTooth, it uses the entire public 2.4GHz spectrum, but skips around it like the feed of a player piano. (Actress Hedy Lamarr co-invented the frequency hopping concept used in BlueTooth.) It is subject to interference from WiFi networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, security cameras, other BlueTooth devices, and anything else that resides in that frequency band.
    BT's underlying technology is pretty fascinating. I wonder how much refinement has gone into the hardware in recent years to weed out the WiFi interference that's much more common than it was when BT started getting a foothold around '04.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Whether they go with them being a Class 1 or a Class 2 device, I don't know, but there are steering tricks that can be done with MIMO antennae that can improve reception at the expense of greater power use.
    *This* is cool. Do you think electronic steering of the antennae is what HP is going to use in the TouchPad/Pre3?