1.    #1  
    The Touchpad needs an active digitizer. HTC is bringing out an Android tablet with an N-Trig digitizer. Hopefully HP brings this tech to the touchpad (they already use it on the Slate 500).

A closer look at the HTC Flyer's screen, stylus, and Scribe -- Engadget
    Why? So that you have to carry around stylus?
    This has been addressed in other threads. You wouldn't have to use the stylus. It would be an option for when you're sketching something out or taking notes. It's a handy option if you're holding the tablet in one arm and entering notes with the other hand.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    My wife is an illustrator and has expressed multiple times how much she would love a portable cintique-type tablet.

There is a pretty big market for such. It's amazing nobody has done it.
    It's what would make me get the opal.

The screenshot feature is amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    My wife is an illustrator and has expressed multiple times how much she would love a portable cintique-type tablet.

By cintique do you mean active digitizer?

If so, tablets are already available with that feature:

HP Slate 500
    Asus EP121
    Fujitsu has one too.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

HP Slate 500
    Asus EP121
    Fujitsu has one too.
    And the HP TouchSmart 2m2t (my choice). Wonder if it will be possible to get webOS on it?

Edit to add: Not a tablet, but convertable laptop.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Yeah, it would be great if she could get a tablet capable of doing .

Ah, but who am I kidding. That would never work.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Yeah, it would be great if she could get a tablet capable of doing .

Ah, but who am I kidding. That would never work.
    I agree that some amazing things can be done on the iPad with or without a stylus (I have an iPad and multiple stylii for it), however it does not approach the ease of use and accuracy of a Cintiq or even an HP Slate 500 (even my old TC1100 is better). People can produce beautiful art with an Etch-a-Sketch, but that does not mean it should be the preferred 'canvas' for all artists.

A stylus also addresses the note taking aspect. I have tried to take notes on the iPad and the inaccuracy of using a finger rather than an accurate stylus (the iPad stylii tips are about the size of a grape) makes it a chore. The N-Trig digitizers (as well as some made by Wacom) allow multi-touch with fingers as well as stylus input. If you haven't tried it, you should.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

HP Slate 500
    Asus EP121
    Fujitsu has one too.
    I am a big fan of Windows tablets, however I think there is a big market for a WebOS, Android or iOS tablet that has an active digitizer or some other type of accurate stylus input. I think you can just use all of the drawing and note taking apps for iPad as an example of why this is needed. People want something simple and light and realistically not even the Slate 500 is simple or light enough for many artists (or available). They don't need Windows, they just need something to draw or take notes on. We all know the headaches that Windows can cause and these people don't need them. They just want to launch their app and then write or draw.
    Last edited by danwendell; 02/17/2011 at 05:14 PM.