Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96
  1.    #1  
    HP, the student has become your Master...

    Compare these vids:



  2. #2  
    The software currently on the Touchpad is alpha.

    That's why it's not coming until June. The hardware has been ready.
  3. #3  
    That was some lag time...hopefully they clean it up.
  4. #4  
    correct you cant compare hardware thats not finished to anything at this point.
  5. #5  
    I wonder if the virtual keyboards aren't fully hardware accelerated (yet). Seems like most of the lag occurs when moving to card view while the keyboard is active, as well as when Enyo has to resize HTML.
  6. #6  
    I guess everyone around here doesn't understand the meaning of the word BETA.

    Here you go, Beta, preliminary or testing stage of a software or hardware product a beta version.
  7. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #7  
    You want to know the scary thing --- the zillions of Playbook youtube videos filmed at CES, RIM only enabled 1 of the 2 Cortex A9 cores on the Playbook. A single 1GHz Cortex A9 core is 25% faster than a single 1GHz Cortex A8 core.

    Remember that infamous Engadget screen shot of Playbook's poor battery life. Go to the video and freeze frame at 29 seconds --- the last row only has 1 CPU core. Once RIM enable the second core, top line performance and battery life will go up by a lot.

    BlackBerry PlayBook preview -- Engadget

    Go to the this video which was shot last week --- freeze frame at 19 seconds --- the last 2 rows said CPU1 and CPU2.

  8. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainforrest View Post
    HP, the student has become your Master...

    Compare these vids:



    Honest question, what exactly am I supposed to be comparing here? How fast the cards move? I don't see much lag with the Touchpad in that video. Crap, my iPad has a slight hiccup every once in a while, nothing is perfect.
    Apps:

    Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
  9. #9  
    In this video, almost everything is sluggish. You will notice in mail worst of all. Skip to about 2:40. This is the PC video.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    In this video, almost everything is sluggish. You will notice in mail worst of all. Skip to about 2:40. This is the PC video.
    What I learned from watching that video:

    1. HP, like its recently purchased Palm, put something out for public viewing that wasn't ready yet.
    2. webOS, in spite of a significant hardware boost, still has performance problems, regardless of its Alpha or Beta status.
    3. Other manufacturers of these devices can, using pre-release (and lesser) hardware and software, achieve superior performance from their devices which, according to these boards, steal the webOS concept away from HP (aka RIM).
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I guess everyone around here doesn't understand the meaning of the word BETA.

    Here you go, Beta, preliminary or testing stage of a software or hardware product a beta version.
    On the contrary, I think everybody knows meaning of word BETA, especially in webOS land, where everything is in perpetual beta stage.
  12. #12  
    Even if WebOS 3.0 is alpha or beta, why would a email reply be so incredibly slow at random? It's not like it's processing intensive, requiring the GPU to render fancy graphics, or anything else rough on the software. And I assume these emails were prevetted for low processor load before the presentation beforehand, no?

    Sometimes, the reply comes up when it should. Other times, it takes several seconds. Otherwise, Enyo doesn't appear to be any faster than Mojo for launching apps. I'm concerned about that.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Even if WebOS 3.0 is alpha or beta, why would a email reply be so incredibly slow at random? It's not like it's processing intensive, requiring the GPU to render fancy graphics, or anything else rough on the software. And I assume these emails were prevetted for low processor load before the presentation beforehand, no?

    Sometimes, the reply comes up when it should. Other times, it takes several seconds. Otherwise, Enyo doesn't appear to be any faster than Mojo for launching apps. I'm concerned about that.
    me and you both, because I even tried on different instances on my pre plus, on standby opening a new email reply in a email message with no issues. As well as running 22 cards, and still had no issues. So im very confused, I wounder if its a optimization issue with the chipset, version, or a combination of the two?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Even if WebOS 3.0 is alpha or beta, why would a email reply be so incredibly slow at random? It's not like it's processing intensive, requiring the GPU to render fancy graphics, or anything else rough on the software. And I assume these emails were prevetted for low processor load before the presentation beforehand, no?

    Sometimes, the reply comes up when it should. Other times, it takes several seconds. Otherwise, Enyo doesn't appear to be any faster than Mojo for launching apps. I'm concerned about that.
    Based on discussion from another thread where real world proven performance vs. speculation and opinion based on technical specifications was a centerpiece. Don't you, Kupe, Chalx and Dandbj think it is a bit premature to be evaluating the speed of apps loading, replies displaying and the like? Especially since all of the demos are choreographed and controlled and none of us non-HP employees have actually gotten real hands on time to put it through it's paces.

    HP could have simply created some smooth videos of it doing things perfectly that it doesn't do perfectly yet. But they didn't. They showed the software in real time in it's current state of development.

    And if you want some anecdotal data, the early access program is open to all developers who apply. You can DL enyo, load it on your device for testing (instructions are in the dev forums) create a sample app in Enyo and the same app with Mojo and compare the speed differences (if there are any) for yourself.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  15. #15  
    There is certainly nothing remarkable about sluggishness in a pre-release product. What's remarkable is the fact that they chose to show these particular examples of the pad in action. These are, presumably, the best examples they have. That suggests the finished product is a ways off.

    Some have also prematurely crowned this device the new performance king, eventhough it is clearly not ready for comparison. In another thread, some have even claimed that there is no sluggishness, despite the visual evidence to the contrary.

    When will we finally learn that speed and user experience is not based on hardware specs. I look forward to seeing how the TP really performs once it's ready to be properly demonstrated.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Based on discussion from another thread where real world proven performance vs. speculation and opinion based on technical specifications was a centerpiece. Don't you, Kupe, Chalx and Dandbj think it is a bit premature to be evaluating the speed of apps loading, replies displaying and the like? Especially since all of the demos are choreographed and controlled and none of us non-HP employees have actually gotten real hands on time to put it through it's paces.
    The speed isn't what is puzzling me. The randomness of it is what is puzzling me. Why do load times for a reply to the same email on the same device within a 2 minute window vary so wildly? Same process. No extra apps running. But it is all over the map.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is certainly nothing remarkable about sluggishness in a pre-release product. What's remarkable is the fact that they chose to show these particular examples of the pad in action. These are, presumably, the best examples they have. That suggests the finished product is a ways off.

    Some have also prematurely crowned this device the new performance king, eventhough it is clearly not ready for comparison. In another thread, some have even claimed that there is no sluggishness, despite the visual evidence to the contrary.

    When will we finally learn that speed and user experience is not based on hardware specs. I look forward to seeing how the TP really performs once it's ready to be properly demonstrated.
    Well, it's good to see HP being honest in it's representation of where they are with the software development. I think that's probably why it has a vague release time frame of Summer. Good thing they didn't keep that a secret. Then we might be left guessing from current performance (as best we can tell from the demos) that the finished product might be a ways off.

    On the sluggishness thing, some published reviewers have noted that not everyone had the same experience. The same has been true of people who saw it first hand on the 9th. Some saw some and some didn't. I guess it could have been dependent on what each person saw demo'd and how they perceived it. Completely conceivable I suppose since the software is still being developed.

    Perhaps we will learn that hardware specs aren't really behind user experience and speed when car aficionado's stop buying Ferrari's and Lambo's and buy a Prius instead. LOL
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The speed isn't what is puzzling me. The randomness of it is what is puzzling me. Why do load times for a reply to the same email on the same device within a 2 minute window vary so wildly? Same process. No extra apps running. But it is all over the map.
    Hmmm, that is exactly what I would expect from a pre-release demo. Consistency issues are typical in software being developed. Just get in just about any private app beta and you will get updates on a regular basis to fix bugs that have been identified through testing. Some linger longer than others. But good programmers usually get all those pesky bugs squashed before release time.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  19. #19  
    I guess my question if Enyo was suppose to be such a major improvement over Mojo on these issues (card loading times), why isn't that apparent yet? I understand beta and tweaking, but as dandbj13 said...these are the choicest examples they have to present. If that's the case, what shape do you think the rest of the software is in?
  20. #20  
    For me its not premature to be evaluating the speed of apps loading, replies displaying and the like because HP didn't say ThouchPad is a concept in development. They announced it and showed its performance in pre-release stage. We are commenting what we saw. Simple as that. And, I'm thinking to buy one if I see much better performance in coming months.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions