Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
       #1  
    Does anyone know if 3.0 on the TouchPad boots up faster than previous webOS versions?

    I know 2.2 still has the 1 minute + boot time (at least on the Veer), so it'd be interesting to know if the "instant on" technology is in the TouchPad.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post

    I know 2.2 still has the 1 minute + boot time (at least on the Veer), so it'd be interesting to know if the "instant on" technology is in the TouchPad.
    which device do you have with 2.2?
  3. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    which device do you have with 2.2?
    I never said I have a device with 2.2, but the Pre 3 and the veer both run 2.2.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I never said I have a device with 2.2, but the Pre 3 and the veer both run 2.2.
    Pardon me, I thought you measured the boot time by yourself, and I asked because I have pre2 and still waiting for update.
  5. #5  
    Yes, the Touchpad is the device with the instant-on technology.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  6. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    Yes, the Touchpad is the device with the instant-on technology.
    Begging your pardon, but could you point your source of information please. This is the first I'm hearing about Touchpad's boot time' and first about instant on.

    -------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Treo Pro.
    NNJ
  7. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Begging your pardon, but could you point your source of information please. This is the first I'm hearing about Touchpad's boot time' and first about instant on.

    -------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Treo Pro.
    Compared with 2.x and 1.x emulators, bootup time is greatly improved in the webOS 3.0 emulators.

    And no, I'm not under NDA.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Begging your pardon, but could you point your source of information please. This is the first I'm hearing about Touchpad's boot time' and first about instant on.

    -------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Treo Pro.
    HP TouchPad | Staples

    Read that page
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    Yes, the Touchpad is the device with the instant-on technology.
    Boot time and instant-on are two different things. Instant-on refers to when you wake the device from its sleep/standby state.

    Boot time is how long the device takes to boot into the operating system from a powered off state.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Boot time and instant-on are two different things. Instant-on refers to when you wake the device from its sleep/standby state.

    Boot time is how long the device takes to boot into the operating system from a powered off state.
    Yes I know. I was replying to another post.

    Instant-on is NOT when you wake a device from a sleep/standby state.

    Instant on - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Use a recent ASUS computer and you'll see what it is referring to.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  11. #11  
    I don't think a cold boot will take that long. It has a gig of RAM and a Dual-core CPU. If it takes more then a minute I will be kinda surpised but with the instiant-on tech I really won't mind the cold Boot time.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
  12. #12  
    I am hoping for improved boot times (for phones too!) as the webOS versions grow...it makes me sad whenever after my flight lands, everyone around me using an iPhone or Android or Blackberry is using their phones within 30 to 40 seconds, and I'm usually still waiting for "Palm" to stop pulsing on my screen when I enter the terminal 3 to 5 minutes later.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I am hoping for improved boot times (for phones too!) as the webOS versions grow...it makes me sad whenever after my flight lands, everyone around me using an iPhone or Android or Blackberry is using their phones within 30 to 40 seconds, and I'm usually still waiting for "Palm" to stop pulsing on my screen when I enter the terminal 3 to 5 minutes later.
    That's what "Airplane Mode" is for

    But any boot time that is better than that 3-5 minutes my Pre takes would be amazing. I dread every time I have to reboot due to software malfunctions/radio malfunctions because I may miss a call.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    That's what "Airplane Mode" is for

    But any boot time that is better than that 3-5 minutes my Pre takes would be amazing. I dread every time I have to reboot due to software malfunctions/radio malfunctions because I may miss a call.
    The flight attendants act like they will throw me off the plane if I keep it in Airplane mode. I have noticed recently they specifically say "when we say turn off your electronic devices, we don't mean put it in standby or airplane mode, we mean if it has a power switch, then turn it off, completely off...now!"

    So, I comply. I really do. In fact, it irks me when some idio... I mean "gentleman who doesn't fully understand the world doesn't revolve around them" won't turn off his phone, or laptop, but just hides it from the flight attendants. It makes me want to stand up, point at the idio...I mean, "gentlemen who doesn't fully understand the world doesn't revolve around them" and say "Teacher, uh, Flight Attendant, Johnny won't turn off his cell phone..."

    And while I'm at it, I'm tired of getting picked last for kickball too!

    Hopefully webOS 3 will be a big improvement on boot time.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  15. lupos's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    That's what "Airplane Mode" is for
    AMEN! I NEVER turn my phone "off" on a plane. It's BS anyway. Whenever all the suckers are waiting for their phones to turn on I just turn off airplane mode and am off and running.

    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    But any boot time that is better than that 3-5 minutes my Pre takes would be amazing. I dread every time I have to reboot due to software malfunctions/radio malfunctions because I may miss a call.
    Lune restart is your friend. fixes 90% of the things a full reboot fixes and takes about half the time. Still too long, but 2 minutes is better than 4 any day.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    AMEN! I NEVER turn my phone "off" on a plane. It's BS anyway. Whenever all the suckers are waiting for their phones to turn on I just turn off airplane mode and am off and running.
    As long as you turn off the radios, you're fine. I'm a pilot, and the phones (particularly GSM) can and do cause interference on the radios, and I've been asked by ATC to ensure that all phones on the plane are turned off when they heard the ticking during my transmissions.

    Recent experiments have also shown that phones can interfere with navigational systems. It's not enough to send the plane spiraling into the ground, but many planes fly precision approaches that really are precise--a drift of a few hundred feet may put the plane into someone else's wake turbulence or, worse, into the flight path of another plane. On a nice, clear day when they're paralleling into the airport, that can be...bad.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    As long as you turn off the radios, you're fine. I'm a pilot, and the phones (particularly GSM) can and do cause interference on the radios, and I've been asked by ATC to ensure that all phones on the plane are turned off when they heard the ticking during my transmissions.

    Recent experiments have also shown that phones can interfere with navigational systems. It's not enough to send the plane spiraling into the ground, but many planes fly precision approaches that really are precise--a drift of a few hundred feet may put the plane into someone else's wake turbulence or, worse, into the flight path of another plane. On a nice, clear day when they're paralleling into the airport, that can be...bad.
    but Martin, I am gven instruction to turn it off, completely. They specifically say 'not' in airplane mode.

    lupos, I don't mean to be unkind, but you might be one of those 'gentlemen' I was talking about. It isn't a question of BS, it's a question of respecting authority. I believe your purchase of a ticket obligates you to submit to the authority of the flight crew. Is that right Martin?

    anyway, that's off topic. Back to hoping for improved boot time. BTW, is boot time increased if you have a bunch of patches installed?
  18. #18  
    Only if you install services, not patches, but the Preware services are VERY light and don't really affect performance or boot time
  19. #19  
    One thing that can influence boot time greatly are the word check patches. If you install the 10,000 words dictionary on Preware it will add a bit to the boot time but who cares if you have to wait anther 20 seconds... you got better word prediction!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  20. #20  
    And still, I can't help feeling that boot-up time is a non-issue people are simply talking about because they're actively looking for negatives. No smartphone user I know ever switches off his or her phone if it's not absolutely necessary.

    The Pre does boot up slowly for sure, but I myself am MUCH more affected by stuff like the Pre just having these little "hanging" episodes where the phone is unresponsive for a second or two (and those should be a thing of the past with the much more powerful Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad). That actually affects my user experience. How long my phone needs to boot up twice a month when I switch batteries doesn't really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions