Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    The flight attendants act like they will throw me off the plane if I keep it in Airplane mode. I have noticed recently they specifically say "when we say turn off your electronic devices, we don't mean put it in standby or airplane mode, we mean if it has a power switch, then turn it off, completely off...now!"

So, I comply. I really do. In fact, it irks me when some idio... I mean "gentleman who doesn't fully understand the world doesn't revolve around them" won't turn off his phone, or laptop, but just hides it from the flight attendants. It makes me want to stand up, point at the idio...I mean, "gentlemen who doesn't fully understand the world doesn't revolve around them" and say "Teacher, uh, Flight Attendant, Johnny won't turn off his cell phone..."

And while I'm at it, I'm tired of getting picked last for kickball too!

Hopefully webOS 3 will be a big improvement on boot time.
    I will be honest, I just stick my phone in airplane mode and close the lid on my laptop whenever they say to do that. The reason they say that instead of just put it in airplane mode is because of the type of ***** that cant read the no flash sign in museums/galleries and force the use of no cameras. People are horrible at following instructions and or using their gadgets but I do not feel like I should be penalized for their incompetence and hence I do whats necessary not what I'm told, I have a brain and I like to use it rather than be a sheep.
    Some countries (South Africa for instance) legally require you to fully switch off cellphones and anything else with a wireless radio by the way.
    If the bootup time matters at all then they will have blown it.

The device should be stable enough that this is never an issue.
    iOS and Android boot fast so WebOS should too. Don't defend it. Hp needs it to boot fast if it's going to be on a bevy of devices.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    but Martin, I am gven instruction to turn it off, completely. They specifically say 'not' in airplane mode.

lupos, I don't mean to be unkind, but you might be one of those 'gentlemen' I was talking about. It isn't a question of BS, it's a question of respecting authority. I believe your purchase of a ticket obligates you to submit to the authority of the flight crew. Is that right Martin?

anyway, that's off topic. Back to hoping for improved boot time. BTW, is boot time increased if you have a bunch of patches installed?
    This is off topic from the boot time of a Touch Pad, but, Rockbeast, you are doing it correctly and it IS what the Flight Attendants say.

When cell phones became popular, I worked in Safety representing the pilots at a major airline. We asked all the major phone carriers (ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc), all the aircraft manufacturers (Boeing, Airbus), and all the other airlines what research they had done or were willing to partner in doing.

I am sure it was due to lawyers and finances and potential liability, but we were unable to find a single company willing to join us in future research or that had done any actual previous research or would share what they had done. Yet, ALL phone manufacturers & ALL aircraft makers recommended against allowing ANY use of phones--even on the ground. I have no idea if this came from their safety/tech ops type people, from their lawyers or a combination. BUT, they were unanimous (individually) in their recommendations.

You may remember the old days (some airlines may still have this) when there were phones built into the back of the seats and you paid by the minute. These phones had been tested and had specific shielding to protect instrumentation in the flight deck.

In our individual airline testing, we found some instrument anamolies when we brought & used some Crackberries into the flight deck, but we couldn't get anything consistent/scientific results.

As a result and due to the competition, a compromise was reached--use would be limited to above 10,000 feet, a supposedly less critical time. From the flight deck, we signal the flight attendants, and they make the announcement, "We are now at a safe altitude..." For our planes that have wi-fi, we have it set to automatically turn on and off at 10,000 ft. Some airlines have different indications (lights activated by the flight deck that say electronic devices may or may not be used), others have new shielding, etc. (typically foreign airlines at this time) that allow for more extensive use of phones.

As for Martin being worried about flying into someone else's jetwash, that isn't as major a worry to me as we usually have the expert Air Traffic Controllers maintaining appropriate separation between us aircraft, BUT, in major airlines, we also fly Category IIIb approaches in the fog. The ceiling (cloud base) can be ZERO feet and the forward visibility can be as low as 150 ft, though I don't think I have accomplished one w/less than 300 ft. This approach requires the plane, the airport and the crew to all have special training/qualifications and currency. It would be nice if the phones were off, as asked by the Flight Attendants as well.

Instrument landing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not naive. Even w/the best of intentions, we have all left our phones on and the odds of causing any interference to a flight is minimal. I do, however, appreciate Rockbeast's respect for authority & wonder about all in this thread who seem to think they are smarter than the phone and airline manufacturers as well as the FAA and individual airlines.

You may be smarter, but hopefully, I have shed some light in to the history of airline mobile phone policy & why it may be important. Sorry if turning your phone off causes you a couple minutes of inconvenience while we taxi to the gate. What was life like before cell phones???
    Last edited by Mike5; 04/24/2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Mike, if I could thank you more than once, I would. I have wondered how necessary it is to comply...from a technical wireless signal interference standpoint, but I believe if I am told by the ones in authority what they require me to do, I better do it. I might not like it, I might not agree, but I am not smarter than the average bear, or most 5th graders. If I think I am, I've just dropped my smartness another grade!

I am a smartphone user (Palm Pre+ launch day verizon, running over 200 preware installations [apps and patches] including overclocking [500/1000 screenstate]) who turns off his phone during flight, as asked. I have used it above 10000 feet in airplane mode, but I turn it off within 30 seconds to a minute of when I am told to turn it off.

But back to the topic, I really want to see the boot time drop. what can be done about this? Is there a thread that gives a good description of what's going on that is different than iOS and Android and RIM OSs? I just don't understand why it's so much longer than all the other OSs.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Nevermind how you feel about boot times - I personally don't care much about boot time because I don't reboot that often; sure it's nice if a device is up quickly, but it's not a knock-out fault in my eyes - HP certainly seems to think that boot time is important: they bought a quickboot linux distro called Hyperspace just after they bought Palm. WebOS is linux-based.

There has been word that webOS 3 is the first version fully designed and made by HP, and that the system is a whole different beast under the hood. Without having any inside knowledge, I'd say there's a chance that Hyperspace quickbooting will already be part of webOS 3.

Also, the Pre is properly booted up when the Palm / HP logo starts flashing; once it's flashing, that means that Luna is being initialized. Even without Hyperspace, the Touchpad with its dual-core 1.2GHz processor should be quicker to boot than the Pre with its single 500MHz core.

<edit> There is, however, still a chance that Hyperspace wasn't bought to improve webOS on smartphones and tablets but rather with an eye on webOS for PCs. Users could then theoretically switch between instant-on webOS and Windows (booting up in the background) with a keystroke and/or button click.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 04/25/2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Nevermind how you feel about boot times - I personally don't care much about boot time because I don't reboot that often; sure it's nice if a device is up quickly, but it's not a knock-out fault in my eyes - HP certainly seems to think that boot time is important: they bought a quickboot linux distro called Hyperspace just after they bought Palm. WebOS is linux-based.

There has been word that webOS 3 is the first version fully designed and made by HP, and that the system is a whole different beast under the hood. Without having any inside knowledge, I'd say there's a chance that Hyperspace quickbooting will already be part of webOS 3.

Also, the Pre is properly booted up when the Palm / HP logo starts flashing; once it's flashing, that means that Luna is being initialized. Even without Hyperspace, the Touchpad with its dual-core 1.2GHz processor should be quicker to boot than the Pre with its single 500MHz core.

<edit> There is, however, still a chance that Hyperspace wasn't bought to improve webOS on smartphones and tablets but rather with an eye on webOS for PCs. Users could then theoretically switch between instant-on webOS and Windows (booting up in the background) with a keystroke and/or button click.
    Did you say "Nevermind" how I feel, then tell me several things you feel? I think it's ok for both of us to tell how we feel...isn't it?

I would think that if webOS 3.0 already boots up quickly...or at least gets to some 'instant on' point quickly enough to at least start doing something (checking for voicemails, emails, texts you got while the phone/tablet was off during flight ) that we would have seen it at the Feb 9th event, or since then. I can't recall seeing that, but I would love to if anyone can point me in the right direction. If it isn't to that point yet, I hope they are heading that way, perhaps using Hyperspace as you mentioned.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12