Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Why would HP shoot themselves in the foot by not having a rear camera on the TouchPad?
    It's silly to do the whole "you don't need a camera on a tablet" argument, because other major tablets do it.
    The Xoom, Playbook, and Galaxy Tab all have it.
    The crucial thing is whether or not the iPad 2 has it IMO, and that could affect sales. Hopefully the iPad matches HP by only adding a front facing camera.

But why would they opt-out of it this time, when the HP Slate has a camera and webcam?

Also, if they don't have it now, do you think it will be in the next member of the "TouchPad family"?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/14/2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Haha, if I see anyone holding up at 10 inch device taking a picture I'll laugh my **** off.

Camera on the back has no point.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Everyone with a tablet probably has a smart phone with a high mega-pixel camera anyways.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    plus the pre3 records in hd, use that then touch to share -=P
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    plus the pre3 records in hd, use that then touch to share -=P
    bingo. I could care less for a camera on a tablet. I always have my phone. If I want to take good pics I bring a real camera.
    there is no point in a rear facing camera on a tablet. No one EVER uses them. I still don't understand why apple put a rear facing camera on the Ipad instead of a front facing camera.

I'd much rather take a photo on my smartphone, then upload it or tap2share it, that take pictures with a 10inch tablet.
    I cant imagine a more awkward feature to use than a rear facing camera on a tablet
    I have no need for a camera on the back, with touch to share, everything is simple
    I don't have a need for it either, but there are people that buy phones based on which one has a higher megapixel camera (not even higher quality, just higher megapixel.)

But I think the engadget podcast was spoton, they aren't going after apple, and android as much as they are going after RIM/Blackberry/enterprise and saying "we're hp, we offer security, and apple like products". I think the consumer focus is going to be seen more in the "coming years"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    there is no point in a rear facing camera on a tablet. No one EVER uses them. I still don't understand why apple put a rear facing camera on the Ipad instead of a front facing camera.

I'd much rather take a photo on my smartphone, then upload it or tap2share it, that take pictures with a 10inch tablet.
    Uh, there's not a camera period on the iPad. No one know's yet what the iPad 2 will contain.

While a rear-camera may seem pointless, it may serve a purpose that you don't realize. I can see the rare occasion when it may come in handy; for example if I was video chatting with someone and wanted to show something that I was seeing, it would be great to flip from the front-camera to the rear-camera.

It'd be a lot more awkward to turn your tablet around to show someone something where you can no longer see what they're seeing.

I'd rather have one and not use it than not have it and find that one time I wish I had one.
    that is how I can share what I can see (sunset, etc) with the person I'm chatting with on facetime.
    They should make one good camera only and have it rotate like how the sony laptops did, when not in use you can rotate it to shield the lens also have a didicated button on the rotating bezel that launches viedo call or pics instantly or something like that. This way you would have one solid camera for those that want front or rear.
    While I agree that they should have put in a rear camera just so they can check the box on the spec list and shut up some people - I don't see many people rejecting it because of this.

Imagine someone who otherwise would have preferred the TouchPad - then decide "damn, I love the Touchpad - but can't buy it without a rear camera".
    I just don't see that.

You will almost never want to use a Tablet to make photos. Under what conditions do you have a Tablet but no phone with you? And why would you use the Tablet instead of the phone to make the picture?
    It's the most unwieldy, impractical, silly-looking camera.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    While I agree that they should have put in a rear camera just so they can check the box on the spec list and shut up some people - I don't see many people rejecting it because of this.

Imagine someone who otherwise would have preferred the TouchPad - then decide "damn, I love the Touchpad - but can't buy it without a rear camera".
    I just don't see that.

You will almost never want to use a Tablet to make photos. Under what conditions do you have a Tablet but no phone with you? And why would you use the Tablet instead of the phone to make the picture?
    It's the most unwieldy, impractical, silly-looking camera.
    There's more to a back camera than pics. Video recording, showing something during a video chat, scanning docs, scanning labels, etc. I'm not sure why people are so willing to say something isn't needed. It might seem weird or funny to some, but so were cameras on phones at first.
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    It has a detachable camera... sold separately.

and its wireless, too.
    The point has already been made that there are excellent uses for a camera that have nothing to do with snapshots. A bigger reason to have one is that it is a top-line feature that will be clearly missing for the consumer doing comparison shopping.

We know what product the TP wants to be compared to. People looking at the hardware side-by-side, will see everything the same, except for this top-line feature. What does the TP offer to make up for it? If rumors bear out, the other product will also have NFC capabilities. That makes two top-line features. That is before you even turn them on.

The sales person is left trying to explain why the OS is SO much better. People don't even know what an OS is. The comparison comes down to esoteric matters of taste. That is a tough sell when the comparison is so up front, and the top-line features are missing.

It's not just that other competitor, its everyone. The TP will have the distinction of being the only pad without a camera. The sales person is forced to explain why the lack of a camera is a good thing. This is even tougher if the TP price is the same or higher, as rumors suggest. It's not an impossible situation by any means, but it makes it tougher.
    I wish they would put cameras on both sides. But, what if the tablet could use the camera on the phonen I could see some cool stuff coming from that since it could be movef around independently from the touchpad.
    It was pointed out to me that a rear camera would be used for augmented reality. I haven't found any apps of that sort that are anything other than junk* just yet, but it would be best to have the camera there for when there're quality uses for it.

*I haven't tried any since first getting my EVO in November, so this could be different by now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    No camera on the back is NOT shooting themselves in the foot. Releasing the device in 4-6 months when the iPad 2 comes out is shooting themselves in the foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I wish they would put cameras on both sides. But, what if the tablet could use the camera on the phonen I could see some cool stuff coming from that since it could be movef around independently from the touchpad.
    You can do this with the iPhone/iPad. It is a cool tech demo, but not very practical. I've used it. If you have to use the camera on your phone anyway, there is little advantage to tying it to the pad. Pictures are automatically synced to the iPad everytime you connect it to the computer.

Bump is also an easy way to throw pictures from the iPhone to the iPad. HP will have its own method for getting pictures from one place to the other. Based solely on my experience, I think people will get tired of dealing with two devices to take one picture.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast