Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 118
  1. #81  
    This video out conversation has got me thinking about the capabilities of the micro or mini USB. So many devices use them, and yet all they seemingly do is transfer data to a computer and charge. Is there anyway to have it do more than that?
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

    Anyway, that is my reasoning. Likely none of the above is even closely relevant to the way you would like to use a tablet, but then, I was only voicing comments about getting one for myself. Not proclaiming “market-wide fail” because it does or does not have this feature or that.

    -Suntan
    That all makes sense, everyone is not the same. I just keep finding myself gravitating towards anything that will keep me from using (and carrying) cables or accessories of any kind. I travel a ton myself, which is why I bought the Galaxy Tab, and I used to travel with my work laptop, my Kindle and a netbook (movies and web surfing in the hotel room). The tab has replaced the latter two devices for how I used them, and fits in my pocket. And I rip movies, not shows, and they're all stored on a 4TB drive so I can copy them over overnight.

    But wireless and cable-free is where technology is headed, and I think that's where HP/Palm should be (and is) looking.
  3. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
       #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    This video out conversation has got me thinking about the capabilities of the micro or mini USB. So many devices use them, and yet all they seemingly do is transfer data to a computer and charge. Is there anyway to have it do more than that?
    It can pretty much act as a full USB port if it supports USB On-The-Go. For example, the Nokia N8 has this feature.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  4. #84  
    Then could we plug an external USB webcam into the TP and aim the cam towards the back?
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  5. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
       #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Then could we plug an external USB webcam into the TP and aim the cam towards the back?
    Yes, if the TP supports usb OTG, and if there are drivers for the webcam to communicate with the OS.

    But that's in no way comparable to having a rear camera built-in the device.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Then could we plug an external USB webcam into the TP and aim the cam towards the back?
    if it ever came to this, you should probably pull your phone out and start recording
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/15/2011 at 07:40 PM.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I don't live my life waiting to see what Apple thinks I should like.

    Believe it or not, I don't hang on every word the Job's says.

    Quite honestly, I couldn't even tell you what Apple's iOS looks/functions like because I've never looked at it.

    As such, no I doubt I will come running back to wish I had a camera on the back of a tablet just because Apple shows me how much I was missing.




    By that line of thinking, you would expect that anyone that has ever needed a knife would be uncontrollably drawn to buying one of these...



    -Suntan
    Huh?

    How does what I said have anything to do with Apple and their influence on you? Again, you're making it about you. Step outside your bubble for a second and think about what makes it an overall better device than its competition.

    You want a market for your platform of choice, right? A market that will lure developers and ultimately bring more things to the platform that you prefer over others.

    How the idea of a front-facing camera on phones seemed like such a foreign idea and no real applicable use is now an industry 'standard'. The trend in the latest tablets about to hit the market indicate the same with a rear-camera.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Huh?

    How does what I said have anything to do with Apple and their influence on you? Again, you're making it about you. Step outside your bubble for a second and think about what makes it an overall better device than its competition.

    You want a market for your platform of choice, right? A market that will lure developers and ultimately bring more things to the platform that you prefer over others.

    How the idea of a front-facing camera on phones seemed like such a foreign idea and no real applicable use is now an industry 'standard'. The trend in the latest tablets about to hit the market indicate the same with a rear-camera.
    You don't understand. They don't need it and will not pay for it. And that's their final answer They've looked at every possible future application involving a back camera in tablets and concluded this. Indeed, they're happy paying hundreds for a device offering similar features to a smartphone but draw the line at a back camera which would be an immaterial cost anyways. Just...not...needed...or even wanted.

    The very idea of holding a tablet and using the back camera?? Don't you realize how silly this is? It's a tablet. You don't hold up 1lb tablets to use this way. You'd be laughed at and put up on facebook and you're life ruined if anyone ever saw you.
  9. JKM
    JKM is offline
    JKM's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Why do you want an SD card ...
    Many mobile devices, especially digital cameras, use them.
    So it would be an easy way to transfer pictures or other files onto the TouchPad.

    How do you transfer pictures from a camera to the TouchPad?
    Can you connect it using the USB port? Probably not.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    Many mobile devices, especially digital cameras, use them.
    So it would be an easy way to transfer pictures or other files onto the TouchPad.

    How do you transfer pictures from a camera to the TouchPad?
    Can you connect it using the USB port? Probably not.
    Well, I know this is just me, but my camera hasn't left the closet since I started buying phones that take decent pictures so there's nothing to transfer. And, as much as possible, I keep all of my photos in the cloud somewhere or on my network rather than on my devices.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You don't understand. They don't need it and will not pay for it. And that's their final answer They've looked at every possible future application involving a back camera in tablets and concluded this. Indeed, they're happy paying hundreds for a device offering similar features to a smartphone but draw the line at a back camera which would be an immaterial cost anyways. Just...not...needed...or even wanted.

    The very idea of holding a tablet and using the back camera?? Don't you realize how silly this is? It's a tablet. You don't hold up 1lb tablets to use this way. You'd be laughed at and put up on facebook and you're life ruined if anyone ever saw you.
    What is the title of this thread again?
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    Many mobile devices, especially digital cameras, use them.
    So it would be an easy way to transfer pictures or other files onto the TouchPad.

    How do you transfer pictures from a camera to the TouchPad?
    Can you connect it using the USB port? Probably not.
    Maybe similar to how you transfer pictures from a camera directly to an iPad?
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    What is the title of this thread again?
    I think it had something to do with the OP wondering why HP would be stupid enough not to have a rear-facing camera.
  14. #94  
    Yeah video out is pretty crucial. I REALLY hope they incorporate it...
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    How does what I said have anything to do with Apple
    You must have missed it when I quoted you in that post. You said:

    When Apple begins advertising the iPad 2 and demonstrates "cool features" that show off the tablet being used with the rear-camera and that translates to devices sold over the TouchPad, don't go complaining because you felt it was something that wasn't needed.
    If you still don't understand the connection after the second go around, I don't know what else to say to help you with your confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You want a market for your platform of choice, right? A market that will lure developers and ultimately bring more things to the platform that you prefer over others.
    I guess the part where your argument breaks down is in thinking that just because you strap every technical widget possible on a device, you're guaranteed to lure developers and buyers to it. I disagree with that.

    Sometimes less is more.

    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    How the idea of a front-facing camera on phones seemed like such a foreign idea and no real applicable use is now an industry 'standard'.
    Again with the strawman.

    A lot of people understood the applicability of adding a camera to a phone. True a lot of them derided it because the implementation was so poor with regards to capability and picture quality, but they understood the applicability just the same.

    Again, why haven't rear facing cameras exploded onto laptops?

    -Suntan
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    The Xoom, Playbook, and Galaxy Tab all have it.
    The Android tablets have the camera, because it is a requirement if they want to install the Android Market on the device.

    RIM probably threw it on the Playbook, because everyone else has it.

    I think HP should have thrown it in just to meet the 'standard'
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Well, I know this is just me, but my camera hasn't left the closet since I started buying phones that take decent pictures so there's nothing to transfer. And, as much as possible, I keep all of my photos in the cloud somewhere or on my network rather than on my devices.
    So you’re agreeing that your phone is the primary picture taking device in your life and you have easy access to those pictures on any tablet that can connect to the “cloud.”

    Pretty much the same thing we are talking about here w/ regards to not needing a camera module on the back of the tablet…

    In any case, some of us have higher/more demanding standards for picture quality than current phones (or tablets) can provide. Currently, the medium for that is storage on memory cards. Maybe you’re just ahead of the curve, but as it stands for a lot of us, physical media is still prominently used and right now it is easier to choose “antiquated” devices that will work with the memory cards we have, than to choose “new age” “cloud” based devices that don’t work with all the memory cards we have.

    -Suntan
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    So you’re agreeing that your phone is the primary picture taking device in your life and you have easy access to those pictures on any tablet that can connect to the “cloud.”

    Pretty much the same thing we are talking about here w/ regards to not needing a camera module on the back of the tablet…

    In any case, some of us have higher/more demanding standards for picture quality than current phones (or tablets) can provide. Currently, the medium for that is storage on memory cards. Maybe you’re just ahead of the curve, but as it stands for a lot of us, physical media is still prominently used and right now it is easier to choose “antiquated” devices that will work with the memory cards we have, than to choose “new age” “cloud” based devices that don’t work with all the memory cards we have.

    -Suntan
    I wouldn't begrudge you your physical media and local storage, people are different, I'm just a big fan of the cloud and the network.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think it had something to do with the OP wondering why HP would be stupid enough not to have a rear-facing camera.
    You're smarter than Palm, HP and everybody on this board.

    That should do it.
  20. Olidie's Avatar
    Posts
    385 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #100  
    I think rear facing camera on a device that size is impractical. Actually using one would be awkward. Besides, leaving a feature out that 99% of us will never use to reduce cost, makes me happy.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions