Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    You don't want to lose a $600 fight over a $1 part.
    Brilliant!
    Even a cheap 100 dollar point and shoot camera puts mobile platforms cameras to shame, just a fact of life and it so easy to load photos onto your device if you prefer quality pictures. If you like lower quality photos, just use tap and share.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Even a cheap 100 dollar point and shoot camera puts mobile platforms cameras to shame, just a fact of life and it so easy to load photos onto your device if you prefer quality pictures. If you like lower quality photos, just use tap and share.
    Yeah, but this just seems like a situation that proves the adage "the best camera is the one you have on you" correct.
    Yep, you are right, my smartphone is always with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    You're seeing the back camera as one use when there are tons of different uses:

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    While a rear-camera may seem pointless, it may serve a purpose that you don't realize. I can see the rare occasion when it may come in handy; for example if I was video chatting with someone and wanted to show something that I was seeing, it would be great to flip from the front-camera to the rear-camera.

It'd be a lot more awkward to turn your tablet around to show someone something where you can no longer see what they're seeing.

I'd rather have one and not use it than not have it and find that one time I wish I had one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    There's more to a back camera than pics. Video recording, showing something during a video chat, scanning docs, scanning labels, etc. I'm not sure why people are so willing to say something isn't needed. It might seem weird or funny to some, but so were cameras on phones at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You're seeing the back camera as one use when there are tons of different uses:
    what are these tons of uses? and how many people actually use it that way? how many people would rather do these things on their tablet than their smartphone?

these are the things big companies consider when designing products. especially price sensitive products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    what are these tons of uses?
    Read the quoted posts below by barkerja and cardfan?

and how many people actually use it that way? how many people would rather do these things on their tablet than their smartphone?
    I don't know how many but something like document scanning or barcode scanning are growing sub-markets.

If my smartphone can do what my tablet can, and more, that's a problem.
    It needs to be the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Haha, if I see anyone holding up at 10 inch device taking a picture I'll laugh my **** off.

Camera on the back has no point.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Limited thinking. I remember simalar arguements back in the day for camera's in phones, music on phones etc. I'm sure you could think of a few. Things that don't seem normal now can be the norm in the future, like women wearing UGG boots in warm weather.
    what are these tons of uses? and how many people actually use it that way? how many people would rather do these things on their tablet than their smartphone?

these are the things big companies consider when designing products. especially price sensitive products.
    It's all about the user experience. While it may seem 'cool' to take a photo or video with your smartphone and then tap-to-share it, but that may be disruptive or intrusive to the work flow in whatever it is you're doing on the tablet. It'd be much more beneficial, and simple, to just load up the back camera from within whatever it is you're in than to pull out your phone, load up the camera, take a photo, tap-to-share it, and then load as needed.

Why limit a platform you like and support to only your needs? If you want this product to succeed, it needs to appeal to as many consumers as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's all about the user experience. While it may seem 'cool' to take a photo or video with your smartphone and then tap-to-share it, but that may be disruptive or intrusive to the work flow in whatever it is you're doing on the tablet. It'd be much more beneficial, and simple, to just load up the back camera from within whatever it is you're in than to pull out your phone, load up the camera, take a photo, tap-to-share it, and then load as needed.

Why limit a platform you like and support to only your needs? If you want this product to succeed, it needs to appeal to as many consumers as possible.
    Agreed, all about the UX....and yes it would be cool, something Apotheker said. But then again Apotheker said what???!!!!...
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Exactly.

I have a Galaxy Tab which is much smaller than the TouchPad, and I can tell you that holding it up to use the camera for anything is dorky. Have I taken a picture with it? Yes I have. But not having one wouldn't have influenced my buying decision in the least.

These arguments that you need to have everything every other device has to be competitive are just nonsensical. iPad sold a gagillion units with a horrible notification system, without multitasking, without a camera, no widgets, no cards and it will NEVER have Flash. Or an SD card slot.

Putting curb feelers on doesn't make it more desirable.
    Please let us not banty this back and forth, claiming those to be Luddites who can't see the benefit of a camera on the back.

Seriously, we all know what these little phone cameras can and can't do. Let's not sell them as revolutionary. Further, catchy as it sounds, they cost more than a dollar.

Personally, I'd be fine without a camera on the back of my phone. Having one on the back of a tablet is a waste of money in my book. For the cost saved I'd much rather they put that money towards an SD slot.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Most specs are just that, specs. Who cares what the specs are if it does what you want?

A good competitor finds the holes in your spec sheets and makes them an issue. You find a hundred reasons why that one spec is the most important thing. Look at ATT's new iPhone commercials showing that you can talk and surf the internet at the same time.

How many people under 40 ever talk on thier phones? And need to surf at the same time?

None. They text. Duh.

I bet that people at Palm made the same arguments about why autofocus and zoom did not matter the last time around.

But marketing is about trying to exploit the holes in your competitor's armor. A basic cell phone camera is $1. If we are missing a camera and Apple thinks we are any kind of threat, they will be showing some cool app that require that camera.

You don't want to lose a $600 fight over a $1 part.
    According to isuppli the camera in the iphone 4 cost 9.75 include another .25 extra "putting together" cost, and that's 10 dollars. BUT YOUR POINT STILL STANDS!!!
    iPhone 4 Carries Bill of Materials of $187.51, According to iSuppli
    First, an 8/10 mp camera is definitely not a $1 part.

Second, as others have pointed out already, if you include every feature your competitors have plus more, you end up with a product like the Xoom, which lots of geeks will salivate over, but nobody is going to get as a christmas present for grandma, or a graduation present for their kid. The commentors on tech blogs are a tiny fraction of the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    First, an 8/10 mp camera is definitely not a $1 part.

Second, as others have pointed out already, if you include every feature your competitors have plus more, you end up with a product like the Xoom, which lots of geeks will salivate over, but nobody is going to get as a christmas present for grandma, or a graduation present for their kid. The commentors on tech blogs are a tiny fraction of the market.
    If they release it for 350, I'm happy. If they release it for 700-800 without a back camera, hdmi port, sd reader, usb in, etc.. Then it's not worth it.

Why the 349.99 price point makes sense.
    I will wait and see the 7" pad

Rear camera adds important function. Whats easy for users, will be good to have.
    yeah me personally If I would get the touchpad (i have the ipad) would prob never use the rear camera as holding something like that up wouldnt make much sense, If I have a regualar camera or my cell phone handy. Though I do see the point of just putting one on there to be competitve. As I would have, just like they put the front facing cam on the Pre 3 (which I think was a very good idea, even if FF cams are not that big yet) its a selling point, and I think not including one on the touchpad may push some potential buyers away IMO.
    yeah me personally If I would get the touchpad (i have the ipad) would prob never use the rear camera as holding something like that up wouldnt make much sense, If I have a regualar camera or my cell phone handy. Though I do see the point of just putting one on there to be competitve. As I would have, just like they put the front facing cam on the Pre 3 (which I think was a very good idea, even if FF cams are not that big yet) its a selling point, and I think not including one on the touchpad may push some potential buyers away IMO.
    One more point, many of the newer cameras have blutetooth built in, very easy now to transfer photos to your pad or laptop.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast