Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    It was pointed out to me that a rear camera would be used for augmented reality. I haven't found any apps of that sort that are anything other than junk* just yet, but it would be best to have the camera there for when there're quality uses for it.

*I haven't tried any since first getting my EVO in November, so this could be different by now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking the same thing, that while I probably wouldn't be snapping many random photos with a rear camera, "augmented reality" is a technology that I DO think will gain momentum..

And because the Touchpad has A-GPS, and a compass, and a gyro, it has all the other sensors readily available.. oh well.

And even IF the Touchpad could grab streaming video from another device it won't know which way the other device is facing, so augmented reality won't work that way..
    If I saw somebody shooting a photo or video with a rear-facing camera on a 10" device, I'd probably chuckle. But I'd be green with envy if they were using it for augmented reality. Mark up on buildings or infrastructures as you travel. Tags on people. People playing scavenger hunt with clues in AR. List goes on.
    I don't want a camera to take picture with my tablet. The front-facing is all I need. I can use my phone or an actual camera (anyone remember those things lol)

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I just hope HP doesn't charge everyone as if there is a rear facing camera
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    If I saw somebody shooting a photo or video with a rear-facing camera on a 10" device, I'd probably chuckle. But I'd be green with envy if they were using it for augmented reality. Mark up on buildings or infrastructures as you travel. Tags on people. People playing scavenger hunt with clues in AR. List goes on.
    Funny how the youngsters don't remember the days when we had to take video that way, and we had to walk ten miles to school, uphill, in the snow...

Can’t say as I consider a rear facing camera as a necessity on a tablet. Certainly not something I would make a purchasing decision over.

Currently when I want to show something to a person I am video conferencing with, I hold it up next to me. It would seem this is much easier than trying to swap video feeds back and forth or trying to keep both myself and the other object in frame on opposite sides of the tablet.

As for “augmented reality” ehh… Maybe. I’d have to use it to see if it is anything more than a stupid gimmick. I mean, a lot of people swear my life is incomplete without twitter, but that is still just a dumb gimmick to me too. In any case, I highly doubt I would be walking around downtown somewhere holding a 10” tablet up to look at buildings and such. If anything, I’d probably have the tablet in a bag and be holding up my cell phone.

-Suntan
    Most specs are just that, specs. Who cares what the specs are if it does what you want?

A good competitor finds the holes in your spec sheets and makes them an issue. You find a hundred reasons why that one spec is the most important thing. Look at ATT's new iPhone commercials showing that you can talk and surf the internet at the same time.

How many people under 40 ever talk on thier phones? And need to surf at the same time?

None. They text. Duh.

I bet that people at Palm made the same arguments about why autofocus and zoom did not matter the last time around.

But marketing is about trying to exploit the holes in your competitor's armor. A basic cell phone camera is $1. If we are missing a camera and Apple thinks we are any kind of threat, they will be showing some cool app that require that camera.

You don't want to lose a $600 fight over a $1 part.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/14/2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Uh, there's not a camera period on the iPad. No one know's yet what the iPad 2 will contain.

While a rear-camera may seem pointless, it may serve a purpose that you don't realize. I can see the rare occasion when it may come in handy; for example if I was video chatting with someone and wanted to show something that I was seeing, it would be great to flip from the front-camera to the rear-camera.

It'd be a lot more awkward to turn your tablet around to show someone something where you can no longer see what they're seeing.

I'd rather have one and not use it than not have it and find that one time I wish I had one.
    my mistake on the ipad deal. But still, never find me in the 'pay extra for something I doubt i'll ever use, just in case camp' . I'm pretty sure that any instance a camera is useful is better left to devices with a smaller form factor. That goes for taking photos, recording videos, and augmented reality.

the only real benefit I can see to having this camera is for the check mark on the back of the box.
    It be real funny to see some take out there pad and use it as a camera, I dont think it is needed, use Pre 3 and then just touch pad and there you have the picture you took with phone and not with 10" pad, this is my personal thought. Maybe next year if they find it that people need it. But for now not needed.
    I really think that the smaller pads may need a rear facing camera - but the large devices really don't need this. Need doesn't always drive sales - but the fact is that there is not a lot of use for a rear camera today and adding one is not free.

Realtime sharing over wifi of the video feed from your Pre3 would be pretty cool if that's ever offered. Then I can see the augmented reality and the scanning options mentioned being more viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Currently when I want to show something to a person I am video conferencing with, I hold it up next to me. It would seem this is much easier than trying to swap video feeds back and forth or trying to keep both myself and the other object in frame on opposite sides of the tablet.
    Check out how FaceTime does this on the iPhone - it's simple and easy to do. Skype for the iPhone also does this well. It's useful to be able to narrate something while you film it without having to guess if the scene is appropriately framed (or even in the frame). FaceTime and Skype on the iPhone remove the guesswork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Check out how FaceTime does this on the iPhone - it's simple and easy to do. Skype for the iPhone also does this well. It's useful to be able to narrate something while you film it without having to guess if the scene is appropriately framed (or even in the frame). FaceTime and Skype on the iPhone remove the guesswork.
    right, this makes sense on a phone/camera sized device. not a ten inch tablet...
    With a rear facing camera, people can create more.

As soon as a touch slate has a rear facing camera someone will use it to make a movie and garner undue attention just because they used a "cool" new toy to do it.

Or take photos to edit on the spot.

Starving artist stuff... love it or hate it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    right, this makes sense on a phone/camera sized device. not a ten inch tablet...
    So glad everyone doesn't have the same opinion as you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I wish they would put cameras on both sides. But, what if the tablet could use the camera on the phonen I could see some cool stuff coming from that since it could be movef around independently from the touchpad.
    This.

As others have pointed out already, there are many situations where having a back-facing camera is very useful. I use the back-facing camera all the time during a video conference when I need to show the other party what I see/have on the whiteboard.

For those that keep saying it's silly... yes it's silly to go use a tablet as a camera, but don't forget that there are other applications aside from using it as a camera. Just because you think it's silly doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate uses.

I seriously hope that there will be a way to use the back camera of the phone while doing video conferencing on the TouchPad.
    On a phone, I can quickly record video, chasing after moving targets like a baby running for the first time or a son hitting his first home run at a baseball game. With a tablet, I have to watch out or I'll drop the thing.

Either way, all I have to do then is tap to share and I'll have life's precious moments on my tablet.
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 02/14/2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    So glad everyone doesn't have the same opinion as you...
    I'm not trying to impose my opinion on anyone. I'm simply agreeing with the logic HP used when deciding the components they would use in their device.

If you look at the evolution of the camera market. when it comes to product design and engineering, the first step is identifying the problem you intend to solve. When photography became common place, one of the first things people noticed is that its generally more enjoyable when its quick (so that you can capture spontaneous moments) and the device is small (so that it isn't cumbersome to use).

There's no doubt in my mind that these same principles apply when designing mobile devices to be used for photography, video capture, and/or augmented reality, among other things. Are there people who would love to have a camera on the back of their 10inch device? Sure. But I'm willing to bet that HPs research shows that most people would rather "share what they're seeing" using smaller devices. Which is why their mobile phones have 2 cameras and the tablet does not. So the question becomes: is it worth it to increase the cost of the device for a feature that only a select few people would have a use for.

Not to mention the fact that they want you to buy multiple form factors. I'm sure it would be hard to find someone who would prefer to "share what they're seeing" on the touchpad, if they also had their Pre3 handy. HP wants you to take pictures on your phone, then instantly print them to your HP printer, or upload them to Snapfish, or Touch2share them with your TouchPad. They have to differentiate their products.

i'm not in the business of trying to discredit opinions. I'm sure everyone who wants a rear facing camera on the tablet wants one for a reason. I just don't think "maybe someone would eventually come up with a cool use for it" or "maybe people will skype on the go with the tablet instead of their phone" would/should carry much weight in a boardroom discussion.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/14/2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Hey Betacam (not betamax, betacam) was awesome in its day. Before digital video, used to have a neat a/b roll editing suite for betacam, it was the way to go...
    Sounds like it works great. But I just don't see the need for it myself. The only time I skype is to actually talk to people. I don't narrate things to people via video phone. As such, I don't see the need for it on the tablet. Doubly so if my phone has the ability.

Just my opinion. You're sure free to think differently.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Most specs are just that, specs. Who cares what the specs are if it does what you want?

A good competitor finds the holes in your spec sheets and makes them an issue. You find a hundred reasons why that one spec is the most important thing. Look at ATT's new iPhone commercials showing that you can talk and surf the internet at the same time.

How many people under 40 ever talk on thier phones? And need to surf at the same time?

None. They text. Duh.

I bet that people at Palm made the same arguments about why autofocus and zoom did not matter the last time around.

But marketing is about trying to exploit the holes in your competitor's armor. A basic cell phone camera is $1. If we are missing a camera and Apple thinks we are any kind of threat, they will be showing some cool app that require that camera.

You don't want to lose a $600 fight over a $1 part.
    The perfect post for this thread.

/thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast