Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sure enough HP could have managed the gesture area in the small space where the button is but maybe they were attempting not to sacrifice screen real estate. Heres to thinking that gestures will be CODED into the OS....on the screen itself (somewhere). That would make reason for "custom" gestures. There will be the standard gestures as in the previous devices....but using an area on the screen for gestures opens up the possibilities for the user to create his own gesture experience. THAT WOULD BE GREAT. But again, just hoping. It's just HARD for me to believe that HP would do away with something that branded the WebOs!!!
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Does a gesture area even make sense on a tablet? I would guess that maybe early versions made use of it but they quickly identified some problem with usage scenarios?
    all the gesture area did was go backwards and forwards !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    all the gesture area did was go backwards and forwards !!
    Or if the advanced gestures were on you could switch apps quickly, but yet again not needed given the extra screen real estate of the touchpad vs phone.
    I don't see it as good or bad. It wouldn't make a difference either way.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    It's easier to hold in multiple positions without it. When you hold your Pre by the gesture area, you're more apt to accidentally go back/forward or go into card view. I've done it so many times. I'd go absolutely insane on the tablet with the gesture area all over.

I'm in agreeance. As much as a cool feature it is, it's unnecessary on the tablet.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Taking out the gesture area makes it more intuitive. Others who have tried to use my Pre+ have gotten frustrated with it.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    It's easier to hold in multiple positions without it. When you hold your Pre by the gesture area, you're more apt to accidentally go back/forward or go into card view. I've done it so many times. I'd go absolutely insane on the tablet with the gesture area all over.

I'm in agreeance. As much as a cool feature it is, it's unnecessary on the tablet.
    Exactly - which is all the more reason for it to be a part of the OS and customizable so that random touches or gestures wont jack up the WebOs experience.
    it doesn't have on screen gestures. If it was going to they wouldn't have said the touchpad would run old aps in a window with back and forward buttons.
  10.    #10  
    pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to develop that functionality in it (3rd party)...I'll get on it ASAP.... oh yeah they haven't released the ENYO SDK!!!!! Paaallmmmm!!!
    I think it could work. It's not a true webOS experience but as long as it remains on phones (of course) I'm good
    This is all crazy talk. ;-)

The Touchpad has a wide bezel - so there's plenty of gesture "area" there already – no wasting of screen space.

The way to do it would be to use all 4 bezel sides.
    Gestures could be optional so no trouble for those poor folks who get confused by a few simple gestures. And the gestures did more than just go forward and backward.
    Even without advanced gestures you can minimize card/start launcher plus the meta-taps.

With gestures on 4 sides all sort of (optional) gestures would have been possible. Use right side like scrollbar. Perhaps topside swipe left or right for bookmarked shortcuts or something else. Plus homebrew hacks could have come up with all sorts of new ideas.

Plus it was expected by webos uses and would have been a distinguishing feature vs the competition.

It was a bad idea - IMHO - to drop it. There was some win potential and nothing to loose by including it. Now people will have gestures on the phones - switch to Touchpad - expect gesture to work - and it won't. Annoying.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Taking out the gesture area makes it more intuitive. Others who have tried to use my Pre+ have gotten frustrated with it.
    Same. Unless you own a Palm phone and know what it is, usually people can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Littulb View Post
    Exactly - which is all the more reason for it to be a part of the OS and customizable so that random touches or gestures wont jack up the WebOs experience.
    Definitely. Glad it's not on there!
  14.    #14  
    If it were up to me I would keep the gesture areas but place them strategically where they wouldn't interfere AND implement custom gestures in the OS. That would be ideal. Initially I was trying to give reason to the madness!!!!
    Gestures are one of the top features of webOS that set the platform apart from its competitors. Without a gesture area, you must rely on the home button to minimize apps (sound familiar, iOS?), you loose easy app and menu navigation, and you loose the off-screen scrolling for landscape mode web-page viewing.

It looks almost like the extra hardware left over from the non-existant Windows 7 HP Slate was re-purposed for the webOS tablet, which would have necessitated the omission of the gesture area.
    Im ok with getting rid of the gesture area as long as they implement gestures into the OS. I really do like switching from one app to the next with a quick swipe to the side. It would probably work really well if the these types of gestures recognized multiple fingers.

One finger scrolls horizontally if applicable and two fingers switches to the next app. This would work in portrait and landscape mode and IMO make it more intuitive.
    yeah i think no gestures on the tablet is the right thing to do. Phones with it make sense because less of your person (like your wrists) dont touch the gesture area. A tablet you are holding it up touch all the sides, your typing on it with two hands, your reading or looking at something with other people who are touching the corners or sides. To me to easy to accidentally hit the gesture areas when doing these things with a bigger object. I imagine these are the things HP ran into, or thought of when not including gestures on the tablet.
    If you have seen the video the put up here at WMC you would see that (so far) the lack of a gesture area doesn't seem to be hindering use one bit. It seems that they have come up with a pretty elegant alternative.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    After seeing the design elements of webOS 3.0, I don't think the gesture area will be missed. I was worried at first, but now I'm fine wit HPs decision.

the gesture area exists to reduce the need for onscreen controls without having face buttons. On the tablet, there is so much space that the gesture area isn't neccisary.
    Most devices have buttons on tablet faces to navigate by. webOS only has the home button. The gesture area was great in that instead of having one tiny button, you'd have this huge space that you don't even have to take your eyes off of the screen to use properly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast