Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    having the gesture area all around the bezel shouldn't be seen as a problem as i had stated before:

i don't see why they couldn't put a gesture area around the whole screen. all they had to do was make it so that the gesture area would only be active on the bottom part of the screen, depending on the way it was held. so if it's held in portriat mode, the bottom part would be the active gesture area, while the sides and top part are disabled. flip it to landscape mode and it'll switch so that the area now seen as the bottom part of the screen is the active gesture area and all other areas are disabled. with the help of the accelerometer i don't see why they didn't do this.
    i never use the button on my pre-, i use the gesture area all the time for switching between apps, minimizing cards, bringing up the full launcher as well as the wave launcher, copy and pasting and just about everything else it can be used for. In my opinion, without the gesture area on the touchpad, it's pretty much just another tablet.
  2.    #22  
    Then again ..... the programming code could have a foundation for onscreen gesture area already there (inside the code) as seen in the pre, and pre2. This could be their way of cutting down cost of programming and maintenance and allowing the developer community to explore these options themselves... making it available to those who choose it. Can't wait to see what we (developers) find when the source leaks!!!! Hell, I'm really anticipating WebOs Internalz getting their hands on it. Seems like HP is encouraging them to take it to the NEXT LEVEL. The new qualcom processor is amazing and WILL be pushed to it's potential. Thats the future of WebOs (developer interaction on both apps and product enhancement)!!!!
    I am really really missing the gesture area. The gesture area was what made webos so intuitive for me. Especially back in 1.0. back gesture always takes you back no matter what the application. You didn't have to look for any buttons or anything. an up swipe brought up the menu and a down swipe got rid of it. AHH the good ol' days.
    I really don't think people have thought through this. The primary advantage of the gesture area on phones is that it enables you to accomplish a number of tasks easily and intuitively that otherwise would require two hands and/or multiple buttons.

When you use a tablet, you will *always* be using two hands! A gesture area is no better than an onscreen back button/gesture in that scenario. I need to look back at the leaked guidelines for enyo apps, but I don't recall it suggesting a dedicated back button in every scene, so there will be some kind of back gesture. Most likely it will be generalized over the whole screen rather than confined to a small out of the way area on the bezel. That makes a lot more sense on a tablet...much easier to grab in the center of the device and swipe back rather than reaching for the very edge.

People are conflating lack of gesture area with a lack of gestures at all, which is silly. When you take the whole "one handed operation" mindset out of the equation that led to its creation, it just doesn't make much sense on a tablet.
  5.    #25  
    I was thinking more along the lines that HP will be implementing the functionality in the OS (global app api) but just did not have it ready for the prototype. I can see the gesture "overlay" triggered by some intuitive interaction. Imagination, eh? Im just saying, agreeing with many, that the gesture area is a WebOs milestone/signature (proof: other OS finding a way to make it apart of their products). Just a few tweeks and it could be a very powerful tool for the tablet as well. Gesture API...hm I like the sound of that! Anyone agree/disagree?
    Quote Originally Posted by Littulb View Post
    Just a few tweeks and it Gesture API...hm I like the sound of that! Anyone agree/disagree?
    Oh boy. Another API for HP to keep out of the SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    I really don't think people have thought through this. The primary advantage of the gesture area on phones is that it enables you to accomplish a number of tasks easily and intuitively that otherwise would require two hands and/or multiple buttons.

When you use a tablet, you will *always* be using two hands! A gesture area is no better than an onscreen back button/gesture in that scenario. I need to look back at the leaked guidelines for enyo apps, but I don't recall it suggesting a dedicated back button in every scene, so there will be some kind of back gesture. Most likely it will be generalized over the whole screen rather than confined to a small out of the way area on the bezel. That makes a lot more sense on a tablet...much easier to grab in the center of the device and swipe back rather than reaching for the very edge.
    That there is less *need* for a gesture area on a tablet is uncontroversial I think.

And IMHO gestures on a tablet should be optional. By all means have that button and additional controls on the cards - the space is there (not nearly as cramped as on a smartphone).

But HPalm needs features to distinguish itself from the competition and a the gesture area would have been one such feature. Plus webos users get used to it. They get so used to it that people who switched to Android/IPhone devices remarked later that they tried to use gestures for a while on their new phones.

The same will happen to webos smartphone users. HP wants to sell us both a smartphone and tablet. You use your smartphone a lot all day - gestures and all. Then you sit down with your tablet and automatically your fingers want to do the familiar gestures - but nothing happens.

It's not a killer problem - but a wasted opportunity IMHO.

I haven't used the center button on my Pre for months.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    'Gestures' is the one thing that really set webOS apart from the other OSes. The card metaphor is already on Blackberry pad and now even Windows Mobile has incorporated it. It is obvious the new honchos from HP have no understanding of the original vision that Palm had of webOS and in their attempt to put their own stamp on webOS, HP is screwing up webOS as is quite evident from webOS 2.0.1 on the Pre 2.

All said and done, the fact is that gestures, specially if active on all four sides of the bezel, would have made a killer 'PalmPad', but what we get instead is a 'gestureless' Touchpad from HP.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The gestures were created with a one-hand phone in mind, not a large two-handed tablet. Their main purpose was so people could use their thumb to navigate the OS, while holding the phone in hand, without needing to hit buttons to switch apps, or go backwards in a menu system. On a 10-inch tablet, you don't hold it in one hand using your thumb to navigate the OS, it would look ridiculous, let alone be practically impossible, unless you are looking to eventually drop your tablet. You would normally use one hand to hold, and the other to perform navigation. I could see the scrolling implementation as part of a gesture for a tablet, but then again, where would you place that gesture area without forcing people to hold the tablet in a specific way. Placing gesture areas on all four edges would be asking for issues with mistaken input.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    I love the gestures and hope they remain a part of webOS for years to come...as long as they keep them for the phone OS I'll be fine 'cuz I still haven't figured out why i would need a tablet...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12