Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    like transfer my work flow? What I mean by that is does it transfer cards? Only one or multiple? I have seen the browser when it is open but what happens if I tap when it is in minimized card view. I think that would be most useful, more than just one browser
    Unfortunately it sounds like all tap to share does at the moment is send a URL for the open web browser page.

It'd be nice if they make it do more though (ie, typing an email on my Pre, want to finish on the Touchpad, tap to share and finish it there.)
    If I have a file open on my tablet and a co-worker or someone wants a copy, it would be great to tap and share the file to them.
    It makes sense that they will open this feature up to do different things... print files (webos printers), share pictures, share music (if you own both devices), and hopefully they will give an API to developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    If I have a file open on my tablet and a co-worker or someone wants a copy, it would be great to tap and share the file to them.
    I think the problem here is it's been said the two devices have to be BT paired before tap to share works.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i believe in the future it will be more robust, to include file sharing. right now url sharing was the only thing they were prepared to show... they probably wanted to keep many things close to the chest there are is still another 4-6 months before release...
    Tap to share looks awesome!
    I'm sure they've got plans for that.. Just will take a bit of time.

anyone actually know how this technology works?

Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I think they said the two devices need to be on the same palm profile. While the feature is currently really basic, I see it quickly growing. I also hope they'll let us sync two phones together in the future. So I can quickly give a link, or image to a friend.
    it probably does more than push a URL because it was passing phone calls around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it probably does more than push a URL because it was passing phone calls around.
    I think tap to share and the phone call transferring thing are two entirely different features. I've definitely seen a video where someone from HP says that all it sends is the URL when you tap to share.

But maybe I'm wrong on that and there's more to it. I mean you were at the event, you'd probably know better than I would.
    you are probably right. Tap to share is essentially wakiing up a radio when the touchstone back on the phone taps the button on the touchpad.

the video you saw is all I saw because the calls were only demonstrated on the stage. I proobably assumed more was really happening when they did that.
    I don't know where I saw it, but I believe that it is not bluetooth - but inductive. Someones Tweet I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you are probably right. Tap to share is essentially wakiing up a radio when the touchstone back on the phone taps the button on the touchpad.

the video you saw is all I saw because the calls were only demonstrated on the stage. I proobably assumed more was really happening when they did that.
    I'm disappointed, I expected more from you! I don't care that you can't afford to buy one, you should still know this

(yes, I realize how bad that was)
    There is a company TAT from sweden already bought by RIM who are still working on the FUture of the Screen Technology.

Almost at the end of this video you can watch two guys sharing images using a mirror wi-fi screen technology. Before that you also can watch when two journalist colleagues sharing a image too, with just tap and swiveling it, in order the colleague next in front of her can see it and he turned it back to her just doing the same, like she did.

Here the video:

This technology is yet in R&D but will come sometime. I sent this video link via twitter to @philmckinney who is in charge of the screen display development ,I think in HP.

I hope HP will come first than RIM but this last already is the owner of TAT who IMHO are very advanced in this R&D.

Time will tell.
  16.    #16  
    I want tap to share to transfer open card to keep my workflow going
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I want tap to share to transfer open card to keep my workflow going
    I am trying to figure it out, how every app developer have to arrange some kind of code order to share from a bigger screen to a smaller one and viceversa, when the app is on card mode.

We need a developer help here to have some suggestions possibilities for your request.
    Why do I need tap to share when Neato! works just as well for transferring links and interpreting them to open in their various apps?

Also, on links: I thought there were separate webOS links that can actually open up apps with just a URL? (I'm not a developer, but I am pretty sure I've seen this done before?) So when they say just URL are they really just saying that, or are they saying "while it's just a URL webOS, can interpret it as more than a URL transferred over."?

But two thumbs up for the neato! developer. Rest assured I will still be using neato! even though Tap to share may be cooler looking. neato! just rocks my socks off.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Why do I need tap to share when Neato! works just as well for transferring links and interpreting them to open in their various apps?

Also, on links: I thought there were separate webOS links that can actually open up apps with just a URL? (I'm not a developer, but I am pretty sure I've seen this done before?) So when they say just URL are they really just saying that, or are they saying "while it's just a URL webOS, can interpret it as more than a URL transferred over."?

But two thumbs up for the neato! developer. Rest assured I will still be using neato! even though Tap to share may be cooler looking. neato! just rocks my socks off.
    If this is Neato looks great:

Update: New UI! Now send from one phone to another phone! Bug fixes! Send a contact to a friend (webOS 1.4.5 only)! neato! is a small app that sits in the dashboard and allows you to launch URLs from your computer's web browser straight to your phone! Reading a long blog post and want to take it on the road with you? Click the neato! bookmarklet in your favorite web browser and it'll instantly be loaded on your phone! Or maybe you looked up an address on Google Maps and want to put the directions on your phone without retyping them on your phone. Click the neato! bookmarklet and in a second, the directions show up in the webOS Google Maps app! neato! also lets you send short selections of text from a website to your phone to easily copy & paste into an e-mail or text message! * Can now send data to your computer! * Send your text to a bunch of different apps! * Send stuff and contacts to your friends!

neato! | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community There is more on the comments posted.

And about Tap to share and Better together, this is what is on the Palm web site:

TouchPad | Laptop TouchPad, TouchPad Computer Tablet PC
    Better together.

The next generation of Touchstone technology makes HP devices work better together. Easily share a URL with your Pre3 simply by tapping them together.2,8

Share a URL from your Pre3 and continue reading on a larger screen. Just tap the devices together.2,8

Receive text messages and answer phone calls on your TouchPad so you don’t miss a thing.9,10,11

Start reading a website or blog on a TouchPad and then tap your smartphone to take it to go.2,8

We’re building more connected devices so you can have a more connected experience.

#2. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

#8. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

# 9. Within wireless coverage area only. SMS, MMS, and IM require data services at additional cost. Availability of IM functionality may vary by carrier.

# 10. Voice service requires separately purchased service contract. Availability may vary by carrier.

# 11. Pre3 and TouchPad must have same HP webOS account.
    First of all, having the functionality built into the OS is obviously better than having to keep a dashboard app running all the time.

Second, Tap to Share is obviously going to encompass a lot more in the future. The spec leak we got indicated that sharing app status is on the road map and from my understanding, HTML5 allows this. Since all enyo apps run completely in a browser, it's not hard to see how it will be implemented. It may not even require developers to do anything at all.

This is obviously where Tap to Share is going, otherwise there'd be no need for both devices to be on the same profile. Obviously link sharing is not a profile/security issue, but you'd need that if you were sharing app data to ensure someone doesn't "Tap to Share" an app onto the device of someone who hasn't bought that app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast