Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP seem to be really enamoured with the 'true multitasking' line when it comes to webOS so I'm wondering why they haven't implemented some sort of split screen option for the TouchPad. Hit a button in landscape mode and the screen splits in two so you can have two apps running beside each other at the same time. It would really highlight the power of multitasking and as we keep hearing Enyo is designed to make apps scale to the available screen size.

Anybody else think this is doable?
    I hope so. Out of all os's webos has the structure already there with live cards.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I could see utilizing this occasionally, but the lack of screen real estate would probably mitigate my frequent use of this feature.

It's just not as efficient to try to have multiple apps open on a 10" screen when I've been spoiled for many years at my office with 3 monitors (19" portrait X 24" landscape X 19" portrait).
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    HP seem to be really enamoured with the 'true multitasking' line when it comes to webOS so I'm wondering why they haven't implemented some sort of split screen option for the TouchPad. Hit a button in landscape mode and the screen splits in two so you can have two apps running beside each other at the same time. It would really highlight the power of multitasking and as we keep hearing Enyo is designed to make apps scale to the available screen size.

Don't worry, this will happen. Notion Ink's Adam on Honeycomb is already doing this with three apps at a time. No app is running all its functionality, but for email reading, weather, etc. you only need part of the functionality of the app running.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post

Something like windows 7 where you have have two pages open side by side? I think that be nice.
    +1

I even drew up a concept a little while ago. I would LOVE to see a "snap" like feature from windows 7 where you can snap a card to dock it on half of the screen so u can have 2 "active" cards at once. That would put the touchpad on a WHOLE NEW level.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Two side-by-side apps would really shine if you could easily drag and drop content between them.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Yes, this would be another compelling feature that would shine on the touchpad imo.

Two 512x768 “cards” are still going to be much higher resolution than what is currently showing on the Pre and we use that every day.

-Suntan
    I posted this in another forum but it should have been here:

I like the idea of 2 windows or 4 max fill up each quadrant. I feel multi windows makes for better functionality with multitasking. For example say your waiting at the airport for your flight, your watching a live football game on some tv app, you also have a browser opened at the same time to check your fantasy league all without missing the feed. Its halftime and you decide to play some angry birds in the mean time. You still have the fantasy league opened to check on how everyone else is doing and the tv opened to make sure you dont miss the start of the 3rd and all are viewable simultaneously. Then you get a call or video call from your friend, angry birds is paused and everything else are muted. You talk as the 3rd quarter begins and off the bat and onside kick is recovered and ran for a touchdown. The play was not missed visually and you guys go on talking about the highlight. You never lose your place, you know where everything is and nothing is missed. You would also have the option to set focus on a window or go to cards modes, or back to quandrant mode, etc. Theres enough screen estate to do this and it would be incredible.

There would need to be some type of app priority though to have the call/video call take charge of the speakers to bring it to the foreground and mute everything else. Other instances without the call would be optional to mute or have sound from each window.

...I think 4 max is ideal, if there are more windows opened you can use the gestureand a key combo to select for simultaneous viewing, an option in the app, or something....

BTW, when in simultaneous mode apps would scale down to the handset version like email and pic viewer per say.
    How about an example in which you would actually use this?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I think screen real estate on a TouchPad is sufficient, but there's a paradigm shift that's occurring that shies away from having multiple windows / card to do your inter-application UI. These days, it's one app taking up the entire screen. Even Gnome 3 (a desktop environment) seems to be moving in that direction.

In this new paradigm, they have to come up with a new way for users to get two (or more) applications to interact with each other. Perhaps applications can recognize the presence of a "service provider" in another app and offer its own interface to accessing these other applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Was the example scenario given not enough for you? I thought it was clear as mud.
    I don't recall them showing apps running side-by-side, but they showed lots of examples of having one app accessible from within another app, which is also very useful (although not the same).

The demo showed notifications in the photo app that allowed responding to the app and attaching a photo from within the photo app. There were several other examples and didn't always include a notification. For example, in the photo app (easy example) you could tap a photo and have the email form open within the photo app rather than switching completely over to the email app like it does on a tiny phone screen. So it was simple to address, comment, and send without ever needing to gesture between apps. It was very cool, but only practical because of the large screen. No way that would work on a phone, even if it was EVO sized, IMHO.
    Great uses for this would be dragging selected photos into a folder for exhibition viewing, adding multiple attachments to emails/SMS/MMS, dropping documents, photos, music, movies to a cloud based storage folder, quickly accessing photos for editing, cropping etc by dragging a photo from one window onto an editing canvas, when done just drag back to save edits or perform a save as to keep both versions, adding music to playlists to be shared or saved, copy and paste from one doc to another, etc.

And that isn't even close to all that could be done.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I don't know about 4 quandrents but with two:

1. Watching Video (youtube, on device, netflix, etc) while typing or browsing (email, word doc, forum post, IM's, etc)

2. Browsing the net while chatting with a friend. Either about what you're looking at or without it having anything to do with it.

3. Composing an email while looking at a web page for information

4. Checking out your calendar while looking at a web page with a list of event dates

5. Video Conferencing with someone you're playing a multi-player game with

That's off the top of my head. In most of those cases you could always go back and forth between cards. But that'd be a click to reduce to card view, touch to bring up new card, click again to reduce again, touch to bring up new card again, each and every time. In regards to screen real estate....half of a Touchpad is still more real estate than you'd have with your phone which we chat, watch video, and browse on all the time.

To me, this would've been one of those "killer features" that would've made the TouchPad a no brainer for me. To me, this would be the next level of "TRUE" multi-tasking as you could literally be able to do two things at essentially the same time.
    I will have to watch the video again, but I thought the Video Conference app looked like it launched within another app.
    Apps within apps is cool, but i hope my entertainment experience as when the big game is on is not compromised.
    When I'm posting a response that requires me to refer back and forth to other web sites it is much more convenient. Like this morning when I was looking up talk time specs for the Pixi and Veer, it was nice to have a second window open on my netbook with a tab for each device. If I was including images, it would be a simple rightclick to to get the URL.

And I do a fair amount of side-by-side comparisons of documents, emails, etc. Also, watching hulu while I'm doing email or lurking on PreCentral.

I wouldn't want them to take another 6 months to ship it so they could add that feature, but I'd really use it if they have it and it would be a competitive advantage over the iPad.
    Ditto for emails and texts. Trying to switch back/forth to copy addresses or links to send to someone else is a pain. Side-by-side would be great.

Also, I could see having the audio player up on one side while surfing/emailing. And crazy as you might think, having video playback “windowed” above the keyboard and off to one side while surfing/emailing on the other side would be pure gravy if you could do it.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    When I'm posting a response that requires me to refer back and forth to other web sites it is much more convenient. Like this morning when I was looking up talk time specs for the Pixi and Veer, it was nice to have a second window open on my netbook with a tab for each device. If I was including images, it would be a simple rightclick to to get the URL.
    This is the feature i have been wanting. WebOS is the only OS that can easily implement it and i am assuming they will with all the Enyo changes for multiple screen resolutions and the extra memory in the TouchPad. This may also be one of the reasons for no gesture area on a touchpad since it wouldn't know what app to apply the action to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast