1.    #1  
    It seems pretty clear that Palm was busy building webOS 2.0 when they were taken over, and that HP decided to make modifications to its 'original', Palm-built self.

I suppose that changes to the backend are the reason for 2.x not becoming available to old devices - with webOS development changing over to Enyo, they have already said that Mojo apps will continue to work in 3.0. I'm not so sure whether Enyo apps would be able to run on the Pre and Pixi's processors. It may be a good, forward-facing decision, albeit an obviously unpopular one. I'm sure they'd win back a lot of loyalty if they announced that every owner of a Palm webOS product can exchange it for a HP webOS product (or get it at half-price).

But there also seem to be more user-facing changes and tweaks to the webOS experience iself, most evolutionary rather than evolutionary. Much has been made of the TouchPad's lack of a gesture area, but as far as I can tell, it is made redundant by Enyo's features regarding how to "pull open" different scenes of an app.
    Staying with the TouchPad, if you look at it closely, you'll see that the iconic rounded screen edges we've all come to love (or love to hate) are gone - it's all square, all around.
    The launcher in 3.0 also seems to be darker and "sleeker" looking than in 1.x and 2.x as well, reminding me of my glass effect suite / patch a bit.

Has anyone else noticed any other subtle improvements showcasing the transition from Palm webOS to HP webOS?
    IMHO, the only place HP influence shows up is in 3.0 and touchpad. I think HP put all their effort into re-inventing their tablet product plan and left palm alone to get 2.x and the next round of phones ready. The only exception is anythng related to pad integration - like touch-to-share.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    IMHO, the only place HP influence shows up is in 3.0 and touchpad. I think HP put all their effort into re-inventing their tablet product plan and left palm alone to get 2.x and the next round of phones ready. The only exception is anythng related to pad integration - like touch-to-share.
    You think this is the reason the gesture area is left out of 3.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I seriously think it is because HP didn't feel it worked with the tablet. But who knows.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I believe HP influenced the idea that webOS will be put on PCs. I'm sure this led to some design changes to accommodate that, including the removal of the gesture area.
  6.    #6  
    The gesture area makes TONS of sense on a device where the screen will always show one "scene" of an app, but big-screen webOS seems to be all about viewing as many scenes as you want. There's no need to swipe back from the email body to the list of emails, and swipe back from there to your list of email accounts if your email app lets you slide scenes around so you can see one, two, or all of these scenes at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gesture area were to remain a part of HP webOS phones going forward. Enyo just makes it unnecessary on big screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'm actually beginning to wonder if the lack of gesture area on the TouchPad is more to do with bringing webOS to the PC as I could see it being difficult to implement with even touchscreen enabled PCs.
    I read somewhere that webOS 3.X won't support the backswipe gesture or meta tap. They're bringing back the original Pre button (soft), at least on the TouchPad. I was hoping to see how select/copy/cut/paste will work in webOS 3.X. I'm not a fan of meta tap, but I don't see how editing works without some form of in-card gesture, unless a keyboard (soft/hard) is required. Time to go read the ENYO docs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I read somewhere that webOS 3.X won't support the backswipe gesture or meta tap. They're bringing back the original Pre button (soft), at least on the TouchPad. I was hoping to see how select/copy/cut/paste will work in webOS 3.X. I'm not a fan of meta tap, but I don't see how editing works without some form of in-card gesture, unless a keyboard (soft/hard) is required. Time to go read the ENYO docs.
    I am sure copy paste will work just like IOS touch to select and touch to copy/paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    I'm actually beginning to wonder if the lack of gesture area on the TouchPad is more to do with bringing webOS to the PC as I could see it being difficult to implement with even touchscreen enabled PCs.
    agree!
    I just want more cinsistency between the look of native windows. What I mean is that the pics and vids of the touchpad showcased a pics windows that was nicely done love the dark theme, but the email was light and the browser was also light with an apple look and feel, too close for my taste. Keep it consistent and make it like the pic viewer, keep a unified theme. I like webos as the darkhorse. Also, wish there were gestures area to keep the ux consistent acrros webos family line and I hope they do away with that gloss back and put that soft touch on like the veer and pre 3 to keep the hardware line consistent and stand out to all that it is definitely hp's webos hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The gesture area makes TONS of sense on a device where the screen will always show one "scene" of an app, but big-screen webOS seems to be all about viewing as many scenes as you want. There's no need to swipe back from the email body to the list of emails, and swipe back from there to your list of email accounts if your email app lets you slide scenes around so you can see one, two, or all of these scenes at the same time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gesture area were to remain a part of HP webOS phones going forward. Enyo just makes it unnecessary on big screens.
    +1
    I couldn't agree more.
    yea, the ignoring of webos theme also annoyed me.

and it's almost as if they got differemt designers to work on different apps without the ability to communicate with each other. I really disklike the new browser, and the centre pane of the email app. The orignal webos theme was amazing, and the dark launcher, and photo app is also nice.
    Last edited by nimer55; 02/13/2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    They would have gestures on the keyboard itself. The best way to do it really.
    I like the idea of 2 windows or 4 max fill up each quadrant. I feel multi windows makes for better functionality with multitasking. For example say your waiting at the airport for your flight, your watching a live football game on some tv app, you also have a browser opened at the same time to check your fantasy league all without missing the feed. Its halftime and you decide to play some angry birds in the mean time. You still have the fantasy league opened to check on how everyone else is doing and the tv opened to make sure you dont miss the start of the 3rd and all are viewable simultaneously. Then you get a call or video call from your friend, angry birds is paused and everything else are muted. You talk as the 3rd quarter begins and off the bat and onside kick is recovered and ran for a touchdown. The play was not missed visually and you guys go on talking about the highlight. You never lose your place, you know where everything is and nothing is missed. You would also have the option to set focus on a window or go to cards modes, or back to quandrant mode, etc. Theres enough screen estate to do this and it would be incredible.

There would need to be some type of app priority though to have the call/video call take charge of the speakers to bring it to the foreground and mute everything else. Other instances without the call would be optional to mute or have sound from each window.
    ...I think 4 max is ideal, if there are more windows opened you can use the gestureand a key combo to select for simultaneous viewing, an option in the app, or something....