1.    #1  
    When you think about it, it makes sense. HP cannot seriously expect to gain market share quickly with webOS smartphones, the competition is too greatly entrenched. Even with compelling products, it will be years before HP can expect to challenge android and iOS. Their hopes for (relatively) quick market share gain relies on the touchpad.

The tablet market now is like the smartphone market used to be when android first came out. It is young and dominated by only one device. True, android has a few compelling products, but the xoom seems grossly overpriced to be largely adopted, which leaves only the galaxy tab. Anyway, my point is, there is plenty of room for an iPad competitor.

HP needs to take this opportunity, match the iPad for price, and make a quick grab at market share before the competition grows any more. This will give webOS consumer recognition, and when HP shows them all the cool things they can do with their new tablet when paired with a webOS phone, will drive up the phone sales.

I believe they are already off to a good start on this. First of all, they announced to the world that there will indeed be a webOS tablet, and they showed off what differentiates it from the competition. They could only benefit from an earlier release date, but at least they have the information out there now. And I do not believe that summer is too late of a release date. True, the iPad2 should be released before then, but not everyone wants to buy into apple, and the xoom is going to seem overpriced to most consumers.

Also, what HP did with the design of the touchpad to make it look and feel more like the iPad is a very smart marketing move. People are more psychologically attracted to something that is already familiar. So when making a decision, most people will choose the touchpad over differently shaped products such as the playbook and galaxy tab, just because it is a familiar shape.

Not to mention all the distribution advantages HP has over android. Other articles have covered this, and it makes a lot of sense. HP has the power to put the touchpad right next to the iPad in Best Buys, walmarts, and targets everywhere. No android tablet can accomplish that in such a short time. Consumers will see iPad - touchpad, same price, same shape, different operating systems.

Anyway, got this out of my head, now I can go to sleep =). Thoughts, opinions?
    Last edited by wesleymarin; 02/13/2011 at 04:09 AM.
    Excellent business analysis.
    Prē
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    and they showed off what differentiates it from the competition.
    What do you think that is? I ask because I just saw this article in the register:

On their own, the tablet and phones may be attractive but they will make as few inroads into Android as the original Palm Pre (and that had the weight of a brand that, even two years ago, still had some magic, and a far more impactful, even Apple-style launch and marketing). They have no developer ecosystem and it is unlikely HP will be able to build one, outside a few enterprise niches, in a world where Android, iOS and others fight for developer attention. The firm did announce the requisite apps support for TouchPad, such as Kindle and Skype, but these are must-haves, not differentiators.
    HP launches webOS products, but no ecosystem • The Register

The article then goes onto talk how about differentiation might be achieved via a platform spanning ecosystem but that does not exist at the moment.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    seems like hp does too as they decided to no longer support legacy phones. i think its good. so far webos has not been a commercial success, they may as well start fresh with the best tech available.

one thing i would add is that they are really betting on the eco system of webos. thats why touch to share is big news, and pc implementation is key.

i remember when the ipod first came out and why i bought it. first the device was different with everything setup like a wheel, but the biggest advantage it had was the itunes sync. and u could litteraly sync every music you wanted with the playlist you enjoyed right from your pc. now imagine when we do this again, wirelessly -=)

for example, keeping with the music theme, we could run webos emulator of sorts on your pc or mac (all enyo apps need is a browser like chome to run). create whatever playlist you have, add new songs, and services like pandora and stich radio to your playlist, hit sync and BAM!!

that is the ecosystem i see HP going for. what do you think ?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Matching the ipad is brilliant. They can use the same accessories. When third party vendors make stuff for ipads, the packaging will say "design for HP TouchPad and Apple iPad". Free marketing and product recognition.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleymarin View Post
    When you think about it, it makes sense. HP cannot seriously expect to gain market share quickly with webOS smartphones, the competition is too greatly entrenched. Even with compelling products, it will be years before HP can expect to challenge android and iOS. Their hopes for (relatively) quick market share gain relies on the touchpad.

The tablet market now is like the smartphone market used to be when android first came out. It is young and dominated by only one device. True, android has a few compelling products, but the xoom seems grossly overpriced to be largely adopted, which leaves only the galaxy tab. Anyway, my point is, there is plenty of room for an iPad competitor.

HP needs to take this opportunity, match the iPad for price, and make a quick grab at market share before the competition grows any more. This will give webOS consumer recognition, and when HP shows them all the cool things they can do with their new tablet when paired with a webOS phone, will drive up the phone sales.

I believe they are already off to a good start on this. First of all, they announced to the world that there will indeed be a webOS tablet, and they showed off what differentiates it from the competition. They could only benefit from an earlier release date, but at least they have the information out there now. And I do not believe that summer is too late of a release date. True, the iPad2 should be released before then, but not everyone wants to buy into apple, and the xoom is going to seem overpriced to most consumers.

Also, what HP did with the design of the touchpad to make it look and feel more like the iPad is a very smart marketing move. People are more psychologically attracted to something that is already familiar. So when making a decision, most people will choose the touchpad over differently shaped products such as the playbook and galaxy tab, just because it is a familiar shape.

Not to mention all the distribution advantages HP has over android. Other articles have covered this, and it makes a lot of sense. HP has the power to put the touchpad right next to the iPad in Best Buys, walmarts, and targets everywhere. No android tablet can accomplish that in such a short time. Consumers will see iPad - touchpad, same price, same shape, different operating systems.

They will have to GIVE IT AWAY to match Apple.

I go into BB and see TouchPad and NEW iPad. TouchPad is $400, iPad is $500 with better screen and 100,000 apps.

That might do it, but for most people buying a pad in the first place, that $100 difference is virtually nothing.

Not that it's a bad strategy, it's just insufficient. The consumer is gone and HP needs to try an end run using corporate market. Bulk buys is the only way to compete. What they do on the PC will determine if they ever catch Apple on the tablet or phone market.

I don't think they'll ever catch apple in the phone space (HP is not going to be as cool as apple with the current generation). They may get there in the tablet and PC space. Most folks don't need and can't afford a laptop and a tablet. HPs target market does and can.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What do you think that is? I ask because I just saw this article in the register:

HP launches webOS products, but no ecosystem • The Register

The article then goes onto talk how about differentiation might be achieved via a platform spanning ecosystem but that does not exist at the moment.
    The difference between now and when the original pre was released is that there are no compelling android tablets in the market right now. When the pre was originally released android was already gaining a foothold in the smartphone market. That along with really poor marketing, keeping the phone exclusively on sprint, and not producing a compelling product (it had some major build quality issues) doomed the pre. I'm not saying that wont happen again to the touchpad, but as long as HP can put together a good marketing campaign, deliver a well built, compelling product, and get the tablet into all the major stores, it will be a success.

The multitasking, notifications, just type, the main point here is that it is a different experience. There are always going to be plenty of people that don't want to buy into apple, or just want something different. Having the touchpad side by side with the iPad, matching it for size, shape, and price, is going to make it the main alternative, or at the very least, the first alternative people consider.

The more touchpads that get sold, the more the ecosystem is going to come into play. As soon as webOS gains some consumer recognition, HP can start marketing campaigns telling people about how well an webOS smartphone works with a webOS tablet, and how well that goes with the HP printer they already have.

The lack of apps available will hurt HP, but I believe that will be well compensated for by a well distributed product. They need to get the touchpad into the hands of consumers everywhere, and as the tablet gains traction, the apps will come.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    seems like hp does too as they decided to no longer support legacy phones. i think its good. so far webos has not been a commercial success, they may as well start fresh with the best tech available.

one thing i would add is that they are really betting on the eco system of webos. thats why touch to share is big news, and pc implementation is key.

i remember when the ipod first came out and why i bought it. first the device was different with everything setup like a wheel, but the biggest advantage it had was the itunes sync. and u could litteraly sync every music you wanted with the playlist you enjoyed right from your pc. now imagine when we do this again, wirelessly -=)

for example, keeping with the music theme, we could run webos emulator of sorts on your pc or mac (all enyo apps need is a browser like chome to run). create whatever playlist you have, add new songs, and services like pandora and stich radio to your playlist, hit sync and BAM!!

that is the ecosystem i see HP going for. what do you think ?
    Exactly, that is their best chance at success. They will try and gain as much traction in the tablet market as they can, then they can highlight the ecosystem. They will show people how well all of their products work together, and that is what will drive up the phone sales.
    I believe the future of webOS relies on the touchpad
    You might be right, but I'm not sure HP sees it that way. They have scattered their resources too thin, IMO. If they saw the pad as their future, they would have just released the P2, said that other phones would be available in the coming months, and pored everything into getting the pad ready and out the door by March.

Instead, they are dealing with the Veer, the P3, the upgrade issues, developer confusion, and such. They have too many balls in the air to focus on one. This shotgun approach might work, but I would have felt more confident with a focused push for the pad. Then again, I don't run a multi-billion dollar company.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    They will have to GIVE IT AWAY to match Apple.

I go into BB and see TouchPad and NEW iPad. TouchPad is $400, iPad is $500 with better screen and 100,000 apps.

That might do it, but for most people buying a pad in the first place, that $100 difference is virtually nothing.

Not that it's a bad strategy, it's just insufficient. The consumer is gone and HP needs to try an end run using corporate market. Bulk buys is the only way to compete. What they do on the PC will determine if they ever catch Apple on the tablet or phone market.

I don't think they'll ever catch apple in the phone space (HP is not going to be as cool as apple with the current generation). They may get there in the tablet and PC space. Most folks don't need and can't afford a laptop and a tablet. HPs target market does and can.
    iPad 2's new screen technology isn't going to be retina screen resolution, it's to put the "pixels on glass", which is what the TouchPad is announced to have as well.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleymarin View Post

You do have a point, and besides webOS was intended for other devices like tablets, so it makes sense. Though I dont know how webOS marketshare will turn out in the consumer market, I believe HP will gain significant ground in the enterprise market. If you watched the video from the think beyond event, the Pre 3 was introduced as a phone for professionals. webOS definitely has an opportunity to gain huge marketshare as RIM continues to lose ground.

The Blackberry smartphone lineup is pretty dull, and most people I know that have Blackberries for business use, prefer a more exciting phone. They only have it because their companies require them to for the security features. As HP implements these security features into webOS; the Pre 3 & TouchPad become a more attractive alternative to enterprise customers. HP already has established relationships in the enterprise market, so itll be interesting to see how things turn out.