1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is a nice write up from Eweek!

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad at $699 Solid No. 2 to iPad: Analysts
    By: Clint Boulton, 2011-02-12

HP TouchPad at $699 Solid No. 2 to iPad: Analysts - Desktops and Notebooks - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

HP's TouchPad promises a sold entry into the growing tablet cannon, second to Apple's iPad but well positioned to challenge the Motorola Xoom and RIM PlayBook.

The tech world as not exactly blown away by HP's TouchPad when the company introduced the WiFi tablet Feb. 10, but most analysts came away convinced the machine was a solid No. 2 entrant to chase Apple's iPad.

At a rumored $699 price point the TouchPad could be more enticing than thealleged $799 price tag on the Android 3.0 Motorola Xoom or Research in Motion's PlayBook, which is slated to be tethered to Blackberry devices.

While the TouchPad will eventually need to come in 3G and 4G option, Forrester Research analyst Sarah Rotman Epps said the device's 9.7-inch screen will make it easier for developers to bring their applications over from the iPad.

The device is also equipped with several features that differentiate it from the current iPad. The short list includes: front-and-rear cameras for video calling, multiple data ports, wireless printing capability and Touchstone technology to let users share e-mail, video and other apps merely by touching a phone to the TouchPad.

Of course, the iPad 2 will launch by this spring, and the device is expected to have dual camera for Facetime chats and likely a USB port or two. That would negate some of the advantages to the TouchPad.

HP also has strong channel advantages over, say Android tablet makers such as Samsung or Motorola, which are primarily relying on wireless carriers to sell their tablets.

Epps said a recent survey of 4,000 US online consumers revealed that 40 percent of consumers said they'd prefer to buy a tablet was at retailers like Best Buy, compared to 11 percent who said they prefer to buy from a mobile service provider. Even so, she added that Apple's iPad enjoys placement not only in Best Buy and other retailers but its owns Apple Store.

The downside? While HP has a strong consumer brand, webOS, which HP gleaned from its $1.2 billion acquisition of Palm, "is a complete unknown to consumers." Most consumers prefer to have Microsoft Windows on a tablet compared to webOS.

"This product has a chance to beat RIM and any individual Android tablet, but not Apple, not this year or next," Epps wrote. "Consumers will consider the TouchPad, and then buy an iPad. iPad sales will be the lion's share of the 24.1M we forecast will sell to US consumers in 2011."

Meanwhile, some folks got hands-on demos after the launch. Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes came away impressed by the TouchPad's software and syncing capabilities. With HP continuing to invest in Palm's Pre brand, it could provide a good link between the tablet and future smartphones.

"Along with a nice OS, we believe that HP's channel strength, link to its printing franchise, and overall brand strength could enable it to be one of the few relevant tablet players far behind Apple over the long-term."

J.P. Morgan’s Mark Moskowitz added: "For HP,” he said, "we believe the initial mission is to capture meaningful share among the non-iPad tablets, i.e., Android and Windows-based devices."

The current analyst consensus is clearly that the TouchPad is no iPad killer, it stands well positioned versus the PlayBook, Xoom and litany of other Android 3.0 tablets.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    The TouchPad doesn't have a rear facing camera or multiple 'data ports', it has a front facing camera and a single usb port. How could they get these specs so wrong?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    I am amazed that these journalists do not fact check before posting news or in this case analysis.
    Plus it was on Feb 9th and not 10th, makes me wonder if these analyst actually read anything.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    The TouchPad doesn't have a rear facing camera or multiple 'data ports', it has a front facing camera and a single usb port. How could they get these specs so wrong?
    Seems they mis-understood touchstone too.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Touchstone technology to let users share e-mail, video and other apps merely by touching a phone to the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,
    ...At a rumored $699 price point the TouchPad could be more enticing than thealleged $799 price tag on the Android 3.0 Motorola Xoom or Research in Motion's PlayBook, which is slated to be tethered to Blackberry devices....
    Check out the BestBuy pre-ad for the Xoom. WOW $1,200!!! OMG!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at233400050016

I hope the speculated price of the Touchpad is more accurate.. cause I don't know too many people who would pay $1200 (+ at least 1 month data plan!)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Check out the BestBuy pre-ad for the Xoom. WOW $1,200!!! OMG!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at233400050016

I hope the speculated price of the Touchpad is more accurate.. cause I don't know too many people who would pay $1200 (+ at least 1 month data plan!)
    Wow! If the rumored $699 holds - it will be positioned nicely...

I, for one, am ONLY interested in the WI-Fi only version, as the LAST thing I want is another data plan bill. I would think many people will use the hotspot feature to tether their tablet via WiFi. (...and, FWIW, I've noticed, from using my nookcolor, WiFi seems to be everywhere I go these days!)

I really think the TouchPad will replace my laptop, and I will be even more likely to take it with me. (I've been bringing the 7" nookcolor w/ me quite a bit. BTW- rooted, it's a great little Android tablet at $250!)

Makes me wonder where the 7" TouchPad will fit in.... $399-499? ;-) - now, THAT'S a jumbo slab phone!!
    $699? Its dead to me, here is waiting for pre3 and 7" pad
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I think, in order to get real volume into the market, HP must make the touchpad price-competitive with the iPad. Consumers would be turned off by an unusual price point (like $1200 for the xoom [***!]). The only other prominent factor will be the battery life. HP should not be allowed to play the "it's okay to have a poor battery life/this is just our 1st gen tablet" card, look at the battery life of the 1st gen iPad!

I say the above as a consumer who:
    -Held out on the 1st gen iPad to go with something non-apple.
    -Liked the RIM Playbook because of its speedy dual-core processor and attractive looking webOS-ripoff UI , but found the 4-5 hours of battery life on the review units unacceptable.
    -Liked the Xoom becuase of its equally fast dual core processor, and fresh looking UI with promise of a good battery life, but found the early price-point too high.
    -Really likes the touchpad becuase I'm a webOS fan, but if it is flawed in the above two ways, I'd go with the iPad2 and live without a flash-enabled browser if I must (I've carried my Pre for almost a year and a half without flash, even though I was promised it at the the time of purchase).
    If the price is 699 they wont be able to compete with the ipad. It needs to be under the current ipad price. Also the amount of errors in that article suggests that the person who wrote it hasn't a ****ing clue what he is talking about.

-Toaster
    I thought I read the TouchPad in WiFi only was going to be $499? I agree at $699, a wi-fi only version is totally DOA. Anyway, I haven't seen anything official from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    $699? Its dead to me, here is waiting for pre3 and 7" pad
    pretty much this. and i hope the 7 inch touchpad is more rectangular than square. i don't like the shape of the iPad and TouchPad. i much prefer that of the galaxy tabs and xoom.

as much as i just want to praise the hell out of this thing (and i'll probably get one in the 7inch size since i'm a webOS nuthugger), i'm going to have to call it "the bezel pad2." it deserves it.
    Last edited by igobytony; 02/13/2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: to make fun
    Doesn't sound smart to make an ipad knockoff and then go toe to toe on price.