Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    $300 may be suicide for the Pre 3.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If the Pre3 is a global phone, those are usually a bit more (on Verizon) than the non-world phones.

That said, with 2 yr contract, none of the (admittedly lack-luster) Verizon offerings are over $200. If the Pre3 came in at $300, that would seriously hurt.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think you might be way too personally invested in this stuff. Time for some fresh air. Consider this an intervention.
    I have absolutely nothing invested in this "stuff"...just pointing out that 6 pages of "oh my god, 699 is too much, omg" is ludicrous at this point and that HP is not as stupid as they might seem to some in this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If the Pre3 is a global phone, those are usually a bit more (on Verizon) than the non-world phones.

That said, with 2 yr contract, none of the (admittedly lack-luster) Verizon offerings are over $200. If the Pre3 came in at $300, that would seriously hurt.

-Suntan

If we were not used to buying heavily subsidized phones in the US, things could be different. But the new 4G phones are running $200-$250 on contract. The Atrix(well it's not true 4G IMO) is being sold by Radio Shack at $150. But even if only HSDPA+, $150 isn't bad for the specs. AT&T itself is reportedly offering it for $200. Pre 3 has to be under $300 to compete, at least in the US.

As for the TouchPad, like I've said, I don't think $700 is ludicrous IF we get the data version for that. The wifi version needs to be less than the Xoom. If they do keep it within $50 of the iPad 2, that would certainly help. But what's really hurting IMO, is the possible release time. Xoom and iPad 2 could run away with this. Not to mention some others eating away at HP's share, like PlayBook and Optimus Pad.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think pre3 will come out at 150 -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    I have absolutely nothing invested in this "stuff"...just pointing out that 6 pages of "oh my god, 699 is too much, omg" is ludicrous at this point and that HP is not as stupid as they might seem to some in this board.
    really, hmm verbal statements pointing at early release of new products, more promises of flash, 2.0, etc etc... to in the coming months. even their own ceo says hp needs to get to the market quicker.. promise promise promise, of which they delivered on nothing... now that is stupid.. who is to say they wont come in at 699 and end all aspirations of being the go to product.. lets face it, every one else in this type of market has copied what webos has done, including apple to one degree or another. Wait lets just give the competition a bigger heads up as to whats coming with the line we are going to release this in shortly,,, to change it to some time this summer?? wow.. I really want to get the new tech, but with this lead time to Apple BB and others, who will copy it, it will devalue the new products quickly.
    Much like the pre announcement did in 09, i waited from feb to August to get one.. 8 months. in that business that is several lifetimes.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I would pay that much, in fact, if they want I would give them the money up front so we can miss all the hoopla of this summer.
    They do have three models. 16,32,and 64gb. So maye its the 64gb ( just hoping)
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    They do have three models. 16,32,and 64gb. So maye its the 64gb ( just hoping)
    Has HP actually said there is a 64gb model? I only remember hearing about a 16gb and 32gb?

Can anyone provide a link for this?
    We know the first TP will be wifi only. We know it is due out in the Summer. We know a 3G is supposed to follow later. The I doubt BGR would be tipped on the price of the second pad rather than the first.

Let me just say, $700 TP next to a $500 iPad 2 is DOA. Apple will have sold millions by the time the TP comes out. HP will not be able to get any attention at $700. I suspect HP will subsidize the first model to get the price to $500, and try for the economy of scale on the next round.

I also don't believe there is any legitimate tip on the price. Frankly, as early as the current build is, I don't think they know how much it will cost.
    Unless they are changing the device specs, they know EXACTLY what it will cost to build at various production quantities, and are likely deciding on an entry point price level as we speak.

Having said the above, I don't give any reports of pricing at this point credence, unless they cite the source, and that source is HP, and verifiable - and even then, it could change before they make it public.

That's why they havent publicizied the pricing yet.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

.... I still say there is a chance they will slap on a rear camera, or something else to be more competitive. It may not be a full Samsung, but I think it will be something. ....
    If HP is capable of increasing the competitiveness of the TouchPad to be much slimmer and have a rear facing camera, I'd be REALLLLLY surprised.

No, REALLY.

Honest.

They are way too corporate and mired down in protocol to make such last minute changes, IMO - this is where, IMO, they truly do need to take a page from Apple's playbook - the guys at Apple are insanely creative, and I believe that is an innate part of their whole culture, versus HP, which is so structured and protocol driven to make everythng "predictable" and "budgettable".

This is why I believe that the specs are probably frozen now (ok, maybe they added a rear facing camera, but, that would have battery endurance issues they'd have to deal with, and for HP, that would be a bureacratic nightmare), and, they have several price points that they are looking at to see would be well accepted.

Remember, corporate price buys are always much higher than consumer pricing.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Now Asus epad is $400, 10.1", 1280x800, gorilla glass, two camera, 1G ram, hdmi, tegra cpu, honeycomb.

What do you say, hpalm?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The $630 iPad is bundled with a Verizon mifi. If you're talking June with no carrier announcements made this week then the $699 is probably for a wifi TouchPad.
    I didn't realize that they were selling the iPad bundled with the Mifi... Sounds a bit like the Blackberry Playbook shipping with some features only available if you also have a Blackberry phone.

So if HP ships the TouchPad/WiFi to leverage being paired with a Veer or Pre3... I'm seeing a pattern here.

I hope that the WiFi-only versions will be price leaders and available from someone other than just carriers. I know they will be at Best Buy, Staples, etc... but those places are retail agents for the carriers. I want to be able to get one from Amazon or Fry's with no connection to any phone or 3G plan...

I think that needs to start at $399. The carriers just keep tightening control...

I learned some good stuff in this thread just now...
    Why is Apple the only one who sells without carrier activation? I don't think you're required to sign sign up right then and there on either AT&T or Verizon if you get the data version. The others could sell through Best Buy, Amazon, etc. and let people go to the carrier when ready to activate also.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why is Apple the only one who sells without carrier activation? I don't think you're required to sign sign up right then and there on either AT&T or Verizon if you get the data version. The others could sell through Best Buy, Amazon, etc. and let people go to the carrier when ready to activate also.
    Because they were able to get their pricing in line with their profit expectations, without involving the carriers.

The other manufacturers need the carriers to kick in to make the numbers work, so in return, they get the activation hit.
    A bunch of you folks ought to open up a think tank and make yourself a whole bunch of money. You all seem to know that HP is dead, the Touch Pad is dead, the iPod will live forever and you will literally be able to surf on v6, if you weigh less than 150 pounds. Holy cow, the bottom line here is no one knows a darn thing! Sit back and relax and watch and wait, Five minutes after the HP press release I'll give you a 100% dead on accurate release price! And in a year I'll give you the success of the Touch Pad against the iPad.
    The appleheads need to relax, you can still buy an iPad, and upgrade to each new version, I don't really understand what you are doing in here rabblle rousing? The touch pad is not going to have magical powers to make you somehow lose your fanaticism for apple. Unless you are worried about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Because they were able to get their pricing in line with their profit expectations, without involving the carriers.

The other manufacturers need the carriers to kick in to make the numbers work, so in return, they get the activation hit.
    I remember you mentioning this before. However they must have seen the Galaxy Tab failed to move in droves, yet they still insist on this method alone. I find it hard to believe Motorola couldn't sell both independently and through the carrier, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    Has HP actually said there is a 64gb model? I only remember hearing about a 16gb and 32gb?

Can anyone provide a link for this?
    Here is the link where its talked about.

HP TouchPad seeks to exploit iPad Achilles' heel
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Finally convinced my wife to get a discounted ipad 1 for now, and wait till summer to check out new tablets on the market by then. Hopefully, TouchPad won't disappoint. Given 3rd-party refurbished 64GB iPad 1s are being sold on eBay around $500, and will probably be substantially lower by the time TouchPad is released. I have to agree a 32GB Wifi TouchPad should not be priced over $499.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456