Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I give it a better than 50% chance that is exactly what happens. At $399-$499 wifi/3G, everyone else packs up and goes home. Apple enjoys another year without competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Ipad $500
    playbook $500

They must come in with on version at $500. I'd hope HP already knows that already though.
    Playbook is rumored now to be 449 after some retailers leaked some prices
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I give it a better than 50% chance that is exactly what happens. At $399-$499 wifi/3G, everyone else packs up and goes home. Apple enjoys another year without competition.
    The iPad 1 may go down to that. That would also put the brakes permanently on these current contract tablets(Galaxy Tab mainly). People will still buy last gen. Apple if the price is right.

Although I'm betting even at $800 some early adopters will try the 4G Xoom. That has to be the month-to-month no-contract price. If Verizon wants a contract for $800, they're crazy!!! The specs and 4G are what it has going for it. The rest, I may or may not want to get those.

When iPad 2 is announced, I'll be weighing options. I can't really weigh in on TouchPad with no true price(nothing confirmed by HP anyway) or release date. The rumor posted says June. But I don't know if I'll wait that long.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $500 is OK for a wifi tablet with adequate storage and features. But $700 has to include the data radio or no sale. Then it would be better to keep this no-contract data because those data tie-ups the Galaxy Tab and the Xoom have are annoying. The Xoom does have 4G going for it though.
    There will be a version of the iPad 2 selling for $499, so HP needs to be at $400.
    Id say they have to undercut apple for sure to be competitive. The consumer needs to see both side by side and say "well there the isheeppad but whats this marvelous looking device that still will suit my needs for a lot less"... It cant be 50 bucks less because who wants to be the uncool person with the no name [not apple] tablet. HP is big enough they can take the price hit for a while until people on the street actually know what webos is. The average user could care less about how much ram or what res the device is. If its a brand thats recognized, and a functional product [not a slow pos] and has the mainstream apps people will eat it up. basically the tablet has to be considerable cheaper than the ipad to flood the market. Heck if i was HP I would look at the devs that have the most downloads on other platforms and give 50 of the things away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Even the Boy Genius has a ? after the headline.

This is a troll thread.
    I desagree. I Think this is an honest concern. Its also my fundamental problem with tablets. 2 years ago I bought a Dell Mini 9 with a 32gb SSD, B/G WiFi, three USB ports, 8.9" 1024x600 display, external VGA, 1.6ghz CPU and 2gig of RAM. It cost me $375 (I could have had 3G WWAN for another $50 and a data contract), its heavier, but similar dimensions to many Pads, and runs a real desktop OS (MacOS in my case).

I can understand paying a premium for a TINY device like a smartphone, but it seems to me that tablets are, in general, HUGELY over priced for the spec and size. I love the IDEA of tablets, but an iPad, for example, actually reuires a LARGER bag than my Mini 9, and offers much less functionality. Sure, sure, the new cool stuff always costs more, but really?? I would be MORE willing to pay for a 7" tab than a 10", because of the added portability.... Maybe I'm just not the target demographic. In any case, this is a valid concern IMO.
    Last edited by Jawzx2; 02/12/2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling etc...
    $500 tops for me (don't care if it is 32GB or 16GB as long as there is SD slot)

But it must have a Netflix app, a skype app (at least be able to video phone free w/ other computers, doesn't have to be skype) and full flash (to be able to play the games on PBS.org for my son.)

More than that and I will continue to make due with our aging netbook.

-Suntan
    yeah I think we have to see what the ipad 2 will sell for. IMO this is where the touchpads direct comp will come from since visually, and cosemeticly they look similar. As well as they both only have their own version (maybe the opal at 7inchs too) though android has dozens of tablets running who knows version. The Xoom will be hard to sell until its wifi comes out, im looking at most comments on engagdet, BGR, etc and most people are appauled at that price, as well as the thunderbolt at 249.00 on contract. I think HP will adjust its wifi pricing prob 599 is my thinking.
    Hp usually has the moat affordable computers, why would 700 even be considered? 400-500 is my guess. If noy hopefully my student discount will put it in that range
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What does Hulu and Hulu Plus use on mobile? If they haven't already blocked the browsers, that is.
    Hulu's movies are all H.264, mobile or otherwise - Hulu's TV programming is flash on computers.

Hulu+ on the iPad/iPhone uses H.264 for all media.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yeah I think we have to see what the ipad 2 will sell for. IMO this is where the touchpads direct comp will come from since visually, and cosemeticly they look similar. As well as they both only have their own version (maybe the opal at 7inchs too) though android has dozens of tablets running who knows version. The Xoom will be hard to sell until its wifi comes out, im looking at most comments on engagdet, BGR, etc and most people are appauled at that price, as well as the thunderbolt at 249.00 on contract. I think HP will adjust its wifi pricing prob 599 is my thinking.
    Honestly I'm not surprised at $250 for the Thunderbolt, it's 4G with good specs. It's the no-contract price Best Buy wants($750). At that price, I'd get a tablet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Byebye hp.
    did anyone see the best buy price someone else posted on another thread showing the Xoom wifi version at 1200 dollars. If thats correct the touchpad price is fine wifi that is, cause even the new ipad Id expect a bit of a bump in price.
    I just posted an article about the $1200 price. I haven't heard anything about a price bump for the iPad. I'm pretty sure they will keep, if not lower the iPad base price. They have room in the margin to do it. The wifi TP at $699 is not alright if they are trying to compete with the $499 incumbent. If they are competing with the Xoom, they have an excellent chance.

For now, all prices are rumors. My opinions only apply if these prices pan out.

Update: The Engadget post has been updated. They believe this price may be a placeholder, and that the real price will be more like $800. Still too high if true. I think people were hoping the $800 price was the placeholder for something lower.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/13/2011 at 09:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    If the iPad2 comes out this summer, and the price is around the $600-$700 mark, and if the specs are as good as some have suggested, a TouchPad priced over $400.00 will be hard to sell to most consumers.

Rubenstein already admitted that the products being released are a cycle behind. So to ask consumers to pay top dollar for something that is already, admittedly behind the curve is a bit ballsy if you ask me.

I truly believe that WebOS is the best OS out there. However, I think the product development around the platform is seriously flawed. Why is it that even the most ardent Palm fans are left scratching their heads, and asking "Why did they leave this or that out of the device?" everytime a new product is announced. And we're not talking hard to do items. We're talking about better cameras (1.3 mp? Are you kidding?). How about one on the front and back? A Memory card slot would be nice. For most consumers, screen resolution differences between the Touchpad and iPad2 and Xoom will be an issue. Once again Rubenstein has aimed and fired at targets that are clearly in Apple's rearview mirror. Nice shooting Tex.
    Spoke to a HP rep at a Best Buy yesterday so take this with a grain of salt. He gave a release date of June 14 with prices of 16gig - $599 and 32 gig - $699. Also said there are in stock but they are waiting for the Pre 3's to come in to release together......

Said they have been training on the TouchPad for awhile but hasn't seen a Pre 3 yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdj View Post
    Spoke to a HP rep at a Best Buy yesterday so take this with a grain of salt. He gave a release date of June 14 with prices of 16gig - $599 and 32 gig - $699. Also said there are in stock but they are waiting for the Pre 3's to come in to release together......

Said they have been training on the TouchPad for awhile but hasn't seen a Pre 3 yet.
    $599 is still a dead product.

they can price 3G/4G products as high as they want, they need a $450 wifi only version. Even if they have to only put 8G of storage and an SD slot.

For webOS that doesn't even come with a file manager, 8G @$450 is still far more attractive than 16G @$600.

HP is stupid, has always been, and seem will always be. Its better we speak out now, rather than waiting for it to go down in flame and do MMQB.
    Always? Do you realize that for decades, HP has been one of the premier computing research organizations on the planet? The first laser printer was from HP. Some of the first atomic clocks came from HP, as did the first commercially-viable LEDs. The first scientific pocket calculator came out of HP, as did some of the first commercially-viable ultrasound products.

Don't base your view of HP's capabilities on a narrow niche of home systems. They are juggernauts in the tech fields from high-end computing to embedded systems. A company doesn't get to be their size by being stupid.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    I dunno about 599 that's still high for me
    $600 is OK if it includes the data radio with no contract. Otherwise at $30 more, iPad is calling. Also, I think the Galaxy S Tab has gone down in no commitment price. I'm not against the 7" screen due to portability, so that's also an option.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast