Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    If their plan is to release a $700 wifi iPad wannabe, then yes. They need to shut it down.
    Call them up and let them know. I'm sure they're waiting to hear from you.(no one discourage him from doing so, it may keep him off the forums for a while)
    There's a hidden message in there for you WebOS fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Cool. Out of curiosity, what is the pressing need for Flash for you? Which sites in particular are you most interested in using that are Flash-driven? Just curious.
    I like Flash simply because it doesn't run on Apple. It gives non-Apple folks something to jeer at aPhans over.
    Which video sites? Most have adopted H.264 due to the iPads success.
    "Most"??? Quote your source, or I say you're simply making it up.
    If this is true, it's another FAIL. Anything over $400 is a fail since it'll be competing with the iPad 2. The only thing they can offer over Apple that consumers will actually listen to is price.
    What does Hulu and Hulu Plus use on mobile? If they haven't already blocked the browsers, that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    If this is true, it's another FAIL. Anything over $400 is a fail since it'll be competing with the iPad 2. The only thing they can offer over Apple that consumers will actually listen to is price.
    $500 is OK for a wifi tablet with adequate storage and features. But $700 has to include the data radio or no sale. Then it would be better to keep this no-contract data because those data tie-ups the Galaxy Tab and the Xoom have are annoying. The Xoom does have 4G going for it though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    $699 for a wifi only model is TOO MUCH. I don't care what processor is in it. It will be competing with blackberry playbook and ipad 2 at $499 price point.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What does Hulu and Hulu Plus use on mobile? If they haven't already blocked the browsers, that is.
    They use flash but they're blocked on ALL platforms except for laptop/desktop computers. However, they have both a native iPhone and iPad app that you can use.

The lack of Flash is solved through native applications and/or sites adopting web-standards (aka H.264).
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    "Most"??? Quote your source, or I say you're simply making it up.
    My source is myself and my daily browsing on my iPad. It is VERY rare that I ever encounter a site that is rendered useless due to Flash. Most sites now use content-adaptation.
    I've been concerned about price and not really needing a tablet. Since I don't care for any of the new phones I have decided to go android. That's when I doscovered the nook. Decided to get one since I'm not going to get a new phone for awhile, probably wait for the infuse. After deciding I checked craigslist and lucked out, I found a nook with leather case for $200. I know the ipad, xoom, and touchpad are/will be better, but it is hard to beat $200. Tonight after I get a microsdhc I'm going to put honeycomb on it to and it should be much better.
    Zdnet had a good article on scale and owning the whole process and that's why it ia hard to compete with apple on price. It was a good read.

Posted from my new nook
    Double post, have to learn this better I guess; )
    Like I stated in an earlier post, I don't think HP knows what the price will be at this stage of the game. They probably have a price target, but they can't know the final cost. They will also have to consider competitive realities of six months from now.

Every tablet that has been announced will probably go through at least one price drop in six months. I suspect, but have no proof, that Apple will shock the tech world again with a $399 offering. That will affectively be the knock-out blow, again.
    If even the data iPad 2 will sell at $500, others are in trouble. Though that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Ooops!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/11/2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Sorry, duplicates.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If even the data iPad 2 will sell at $500, others are in trouble. Though that may be wishful thinking on my part.
    I don't think it's wishful thinking. Apple launched the original iPad at $499, after all.
    Ipad $500
    playbook $500

They must come in with on version at $500. I'd hope HP already knows that already though.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I just don't understand the mass acceptance of a tablet being "reasonably priced" at 700 bucks. I just got a nice *** lenovo for 700, that has HDMI, physical keyboard, portability, dvd drive, big nice screen, any software I want, yada yada... Point is, isn't a tablet supposed to be a companion device? It can't do anything MORE than my laptop, less actually, but since I can hold it like a dinner menu, that convenience is worth equal to the primary device I use for home computing? I don't know, maybe its just my sedation talking....
    My source is myself and my daily browsing on my iPad. It is VERY rare that I ever encounter a site that is rendered useless due to Flash. Most sites now use content-adaptation.
    I figured as much. You think that maybe users that don't use an Apple browser might be hitting sites that aren't restricted to Apple only content?

Your anectdory example really doesn't constitute "most".

I'm actually a little shocked at how often I hit sites (on my Pre) that have flash content. We just tend to not notice on our Wintel systems, because it's so common.

Adobe claims 92% to 98% have Flash content. I personally think that's probably high, but even if it's 50%, that means it only leaves another 50% that's even possible for it's replacement, and that doesn't account for the fact that many sites have no content that has either of them.
    Look. They know no consumer is buying if it costs more than a comparable iPad. They're not stupid.

However, I read a separate article that Apple secured much of the production runs and materials capacity at really cheap rates and other manufacturers can't get their devices produced at similar volumes or prices.

Apple's lead here may last or grow unless competitors can get to volumes that lower production costs. This could be a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't think it's wishful thinking. Apple launched the original iPad at $499, after all.
    Wifi only, data had a $130 premium. I would like to see a wifi iPad 2 for $400 and a data tablet for maybe $130 over that, but I think they may stay with the original pricing and just bump the specs a bit. Although if they wanted to blow everyone else out of the water flat, that would be the pricing to do it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast