webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TouchPad and Citrix
TouchPad and Citrix

Old 02/11/2011, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm surprised this little announcement, even with a mention here on P|C, hasn't gotten traction.
 Citrix to Deliver 500,000 Corporate Apps to webOS for the HP Pre 3 and TouchPad Tablet ocb - Citrix Community
While I think it's a little ... um ... bold ... to claim 500,000 apps because you can access remote system via a citrix client (that's not really an app for the TouchPad) - this is really a notworthy coup for HP.

Last night, well actually this morning, I was working on a government project from home until 4am. I was tied to my desktop for most of that time. All of that work was done through a Citrix session to a XenServer (Citrix product accessed through a Citrix client).

I could have pulled the laptop out of the docking station, but even that is bulky - too bulky to have been worth the trouble. Had the "trouble" consisted of picking up a lightweight tablet, and walking over relaxing in the living room with my family instead of my "office" off the bedroom, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

One of the issues that comes up will be Citrix's implementation, but if moving around on the "desktop" is as simple as using my finger to emulate a mouse, a single finger tap to left click, and two fingers to right, this is a major announcement.

This will turn corporate, and more importantly government, clients to HP's tablet.

Did I mention that I work for a government contractor?
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

GFN, this is primarily important to big companies that use this to deliver "virtual" desktops and/or virtual applications.

If you ever worked with netframe (the original name) you saw apps being presented on a remote screen but being executed on a server.

The market for virtual desktop deployment is actually expected to exceed the size of the market for server virtualization. Very cool. I wish I worked for Citrix because they are way out ahead of VMware on VDI.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: GuyFromNam
Old 02/11/2011, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is HUGE! Our company has approved iPads to connect to our system, but there hasn't been a rush to adopt them because they are pretty useless without Citrix. If people could have a tablet that would allow them to actually be productive while working remotely on-the-go, those tablets would be adopted in a flash.

Further, many of the tasks we do through Citrix are more suited to a touch screen with a custom app rather than a keyboard/mouse driven pair. I can't wait!
tasogare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll add to what Cantaffordit said. Microsoft is coming along with virtualization as well, but much like the phone devices, they came late to the game. Citrix's implementation of their virtualization has the added advantage that they can virtualize not only the full machine, but a single application on the machine. While this really doesn't do a lot for the end user, on the corporate side this means that they can scale better. They can have many times the number of virtualzed apps when they don't have to present the entire machines.

There's a number of other reasons Citrix leads in this field, but the big news here is that this is a service that is employed heavily by both large corporations, and government entities.
Thanked By: GuyFromNam
Old 02/11/2011, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
This is HUGE! Our company has approved iPads to connect to our system, but there hasn't been a rush to adopt them because they are pretty useless without Citrix.
Lots of folks are going to be repeating that refrain.

I'm still shocked that this hasn't spread yet. We're not talking about "Flash" where a few users are disgruntled because they can't watch a particular video site, we're talking about large corporations and large government entities (federal and state) that buy thousands of computers at a time.
Old 02/11/2011, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
This is HUGE!
Now if only our EMR weren't so terrible. Perhaps this will motivate our vendor to update their UI. Perhaps.

But this has huge potential, I agree. Add a Wacom stylus, and they'll capture the government, cooperate, and education markets.
doctorbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
This is HUGE! Our company has approved iPads to connect to our system, but there hasn't been a rush to adopt them because they are pretty useless without Citrix. If people could have a tablet that would allow them to actually be productive while working remotely on-the-go, those tablets would be adopted in a flash.

Further, many of the tasks we do through Citrix are more suited to a touch screen with a custom app rather than a keyboard/mouse driven pair. I can't wait!
I'm not sure I understand this post. There was a Citrix receiver app in the iPhone app store before the iPad even shipped, and it was updated for the iPad before the iPad shipped.
Old 02/11/2011, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
I'll add to what Cantaffordit said. Microsoft is coming along with virtualization as well, but much like the phone devices, they came late to the game. Citrix's implementation of their virtualization has the added advantage that they can virtualize not only the full machine, but a single application on the machine. While this really doesn't do a lot for the end user, on the corporate side this means that they can scale better. They can have many times the number of virtualzed apps when they don't have to present the entire machines.

There's a number of other reasons Citrix leads in this field, but the big news here is that this is a service that is employed heavily by both large corporations, and government entities.
One key advantage of virtualization of individual apps is that people can use really crappy old hardware and the performance won't suffer, because the work is being done on the server. So schools can stop upgrading laptops for more power..

Another key advantage is that Citrix has amazing features for disconnected use, so they have ways for all this magic to work even when you don't have an internet connection. It's brilliant stuff.
Old 02/11/2011, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
This is HUGE! Our company has approved iPads to connect to our system, but there hasn't been a rush to adopt them because they are pretty useless without Citrix.

Why don't they just get the Citrix App?

Edit: I should have continued reading, as this point has already been made.
finngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Unfortunately none of my high-tech, Fortune 500, design house clients will be interested unless Citrix support Linux and Solaris since these are the machines that are needed day to day.
Old 02/11/2011, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

I guess I'm out of the loop because I don't even know what Citrix is.
katefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

read the citrix press materials and they say they make clients for all the OS's so that citrix can make the claim that it is OS agnostic. If so, providing a client for webOS fits right into their business scheme.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 04:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
Unfortunately none of my high-tech, Fortune 500, design house clients will be interested unless Citrix support Linux and Solaris since these are the machines that are needed day to day.
Not sure about Solaris, but XenServer (Citrix) supports Linux.

I'm not sure of the point of your post though. It's the "end user" experience that is sent via the Citrix client.

Do these fortune 500 clients log directly into the Solaris box, or are they running apps on a Windows or Linux workstation that access the Solaris box.

If the latter, that is what would be what I'm talking about here.

However, XenServer can virtualze servers as well. At my previous (private corporation), we had 5 "iron" machines running Linux. 3 of the four ran 4 virtual servers (Linux) each, 2 of them ran for virtual Windows XP machines. This was using the free hypervisor base Xen that which Citrix uses for XenServer.
Old 02/11/2011, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

RDP would be a lot more useful since if you have a windows environment it's ready to work now!

Might have to go with the Adam tablet since nothing comes close to it right now, sigh..
Old 02/11/2011, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Been do'in this for months via iPad. It's old news on tablets. Anyone for a cup of RSA with two lumps of Goto Meeting on a iPad? LOL

Glad to see it coming to HP. Can't multitask it on the iPad.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
RDP would be a lot more useful since if you have a windows environment it's ready to work now!

Might have to go with the Adam tablet since nothing comes close to it right now, sigh..
Way too many security problems, too much of a resource hog, and Windows never learned how to do RDP sessions to a server and include print services properly.
Old 02/11/2011, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have been using Citrix, RDP, and VNC apps on the Ipad for months now. We had a chance to demo one at the hospital I work at. Works great, except we can't get our IT department to buy into it because the Ipad has the reputation of being a "goof off" device and they dont want to support it.

If the touchpad can multi task several Citrix apps at once, then they can really make grounds on the business side. The apple side may never be able to shake the entertainment label that has been attached to it. Its easier to say at work, "I'm buying a HP touchpad for business use", rather than "I'm buying an Ipad for business use" , even though the Ipad is certainly capable.
ianhiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2011, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhiding View Post
I have been using Citrix, RDP, and VNC apps on the Ipad for months now. We had a chance to demo one at the hospital I work at. Works great, except we can't get our IT department to buy into it because the Ipad has the reputation of being a "goof off" device and they dont want to support it.
I'm lost on this one, how would they even know what device you are using. That's one of the cool things about Citrix client, it's basically "invisible" to the server, as long as you have a client.

Unless by "buy into it" you mean that they wouldn't purchase them, as opposed to allowing them.

Quote:
If the touchpad can multi task several Citrix apps at once, then they can really make grounds on the business side. The apple side may never be able to shake the entertainment label that has been attached to it. Its easier to say at work, "I'm buying a HP touchpad for business use", rather than "I'm buying an Ipad for business use" , even though the Ipad is certainly capable.
I hadn't even thought of that one. I can easly see that happening
Thanked By: sinsin07
Old 02/11/2011, 11:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Then your IT department ain't worth . I can goof off with a laptop just as easy. More than likely they probably have their own iPads running Citrix and when they are suppose to be at work they are on the beach with their family doing their work remotely. Sucks to be in your company. By the way, don't bank on the iPad not making grounds in business with Critix just because your IT department has their heads up their....

Poor example. (And I say this in advance, spare us the "My company is a Fortune 500 company" mantra)

Last edited by sinsin07; 02/11/2011 at 11:22 PM.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2011, 07:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
Not sure about Solaris, but XenServer (Citrix) supports Linux.

I'm not sure of the point of your post though. It's the "end user" experience that is sent via the Citrix client.

Do these fortune 500 clients log directly into the Solaris box, or are they running apps on a Windows or Linux workstation that access the Solaris box.

If the latter, that is what would be what I'm talking about here.

However, XenServer can virtualze servers as well. At my previous (private corporation), we had 5 "iron" machines running Linux. 3 of the four ran 4 virtual servers (Linux) each, 2 of them ran for virtual Windows XP machines. This was using the free hypervisor base Xen that which Citrix uses for XenServer.
Citrix is windows-centric. We dropped their web-conferencing product for WebEx because they couldn't share a Linux screen.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0