Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    good article in eweek. I think #2 is right on the money and #10 is good too. Well, all are pretty good points

2. There is a lot of time before it's released

It's rather odd that folks are so excited about a device that won't even be available until the summer. In other words, it could be released any time between late June and early September--putting it at least four months away from consumers' hands. Between now and then, quite a bit can happen. By September, the device could very well look obsolete as more products hit the market. Excitement makes sense a month or so away from a launch, not several months.

10. It's an HP Product

HP isn't Apple. The company doesn't have the same rapport with consumers that the Steve Jobs-led band has–and chances are it never will. Part of that is its own doing, especially in the mobile space, where HP has a checkered record. Its most recent announcement of the TouchPad seems to indicate that it wants to change that. But until it can prove that it deserves such respect, all the excitement should be tempered

#10 is right on. While HP is the #1 PC maker in the world, it is still not considered a consumer company. Hell, people still reference Dell when PC's are discussed and are then informed HP is actually the #1 PC maker. HP has done a poor job in the past at becoming consumer friendly - even with a printer in almost every household.

rest of the article here.
    HP TouchPad Euphoria Is Premature: 10 Reasons Why - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
    Last edited by Midway99; 02/11/2011 at 12:44 PM.
    That was a surprisingly good top ten article. They are all valid points. Remember, the article is not about why the TouchPad will fail, but why euphoria is premature.

There is a lot of pent up demand in the press for an iPad competitor. The press loves a good fight. The iPad is in one corner, waiting. The other corner is empty. That is not an interesting story for the press. There is no evidence that consumers are clamoring for something different, but the press, and tech elite most certainly are. They are ready to crown anyone champion who even suits up for the competition.
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts
    "Awesome article there!"

I would not pay attention to doubters at all. Those are the people who are afraid to get into the game and who ever lists WebOS as potential disadvantage doesnt know what he or she is talking about. Or they are afraid of inventions.
    The article lost all credibility with me when it basically stated that webOS is a liability for users.
    As for the wait, ehh… I think there is general pent up anticipation amongst many people that may want a tablet, but don’t want an ipad. To my knowledge, it isn’t like the flood of CES announced tablets is on the street in great quantities (maybe they are?) Right now, the popular thing to do sounds like buying a limited capability Nook color and then rooting it. No thanks.

Do people think there will be a slew of android tablets, not announced at CES, that will announce and release before the touchpad comes out? Maybe, but I doubt it. Personally, for my money (its ability to sync functionality with my webos phone) the touchpad is heads and shoulders above anything that was announced at CES.

Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    #10 is right on. While HP is the #1 PC maker in the world, it is still not considered a consumer company. Hell, people still reference Dell when PC's are discussed and are then informed HP is actually the #1 PC maker. HP has done a poor job in the past at becoming consumer friendly - even with a printer in almost every household.
    I guess I don’t get the point of worrying about this.

I mean, I don’t care what you people think of the gadgets I use (or I would have bought an Apple.) I care that they function well and serve the purpose I was looking to have served.

Now, HP has been known to make cheap/chintzy consumer products (like some of their laptops) but at the same time, their Envy line is really a pretty decent laptop. As long as the touchpad is built well, performs as advertised, and HP puts the resources they say they are into spurring application development why should I care what “other people” think about it?

-Suntan
    I don't think it is saying that WebOS is a liability in itself. Just that people gravitate toward the comfortable and familiar. WebOS is like Linux. People might shy away from it because it is off the beaten path. That was also true of the JooJoo's OS. Not bad, just alien.
    In the first major product announcement since 2009, Jon Rubinstein faced some criticism after unveiling the new prototype for the HP Touchpad.

Facing a large audience of Palm faithful, Rubinstein announced "It will be powered by the amazing new Qualcomm dual core 1.2ghz processor, which is capable of displaying and capturing full 1080p HD stereoscopic 3D video, capturing images from a 16 megapixel camera, and even the native ability to output this incredible video to your 60 inch plasma TV at 60FPS!" Silencing the applause, Rubinstein added "Of course, despite these capabilities none of these features will actually be present on the HP touchpad."

Facing an ever decreasing number of ways to royally screw up now that Palm is part of a Fortune 500 company, Rubinstein explained the decision to hobble future products. "We decided the best way to ensure the Touchpad failed as a product, was to completely cripple the device with technology that would seem outdated in 1995. To that end, we've used Gary's 1.3 megapixel camera and a couple 4 gig flash memory sticks we had laying around. Really we put the Qualcomm processor in there more as a joke. This is like the Stephen Hawking of tablet PCs".

Rubinstein presented the odd crippled hardware to a stunned audience, revealing an obvious direct copy of an existing Apple product with stellar specifications and no plans to actually make use of the possible capacity for greatness. "The Pre 2 sold too many handsets, we're really hoping to kill Palm with this one." Rubinsten quipped.

"What the hell is HP thinking?" a former Palm developer asked after seeing the touchpad for the first time. "It's like a bunch of monkeys got together and tried really hard to produce a product that had no lasting appeal or wow factor."

The crippled new device is said to be coming this summer with a retail price of 499$.

One customer, who had spent the last year waiting for updates for his former Palm phone, said he felt "sickened" at the obvious lack of coherent thought at the HP/Palm headquarters.

"I tried to wait, I really did. I accepted broken hardware and broken promises. I took HP at face value when they said they wouldn't announce products that were months away and already obsolete. I feel betrayed."

According to technical specifications released by HP, the decidedly un-revolutionary tablet will come equipped with a scratch attracting plastic screen, and will probably have flash capability and a bluetooth stack for a wireless keyboard "sometime between now and the end of the year with the release of WebOS 4.0".

Available in just one ipad-sized form factor, each touchpad will be equipped with a low resolution screen and a battery capable of lasting one to two hours on a single charge.

HP sources confirmed Rubinstein was disappointed by the intense scrutiny from the media, stockholders, and consumers, believing that he was performing the job he was hired to do by completely dismantling Palm from the inside out.

"I watched Steve Jobs build the Apple brand from the ground up, and I know that the name of the game here is cutting-edge," Rubinstein said. "That's why I decided the next logical step would be a product that was obsolete in 2008 and had no chance of success on the open market."

As of press time, at least three or possibly four loyal Palm customers were preparing to entertain the possibility of purchasing a touchpad when it eventually arrives at stores sometime late 2011 after numerous production delays.
    I wish people that don't know what they are talking about would just keep their traps shut ! Lol geesh . Especially people calling these devices a fail . Do any one of them run a company that does billions and billions of dollars in business every year . Did you ever by a scratch off ticket or bet on a football game . Did you ever venture out into the woods . I would say not especially if your sitting here in some forum trash talking and not out running your own business and doing very well at it ! If you want to apply for the job of running HP go ahead . But I dare say not one of you has the warewithall to even blink at running such a business. None !!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    As long as the touchpad is built well, performs as advertised, and HP puts the resources they say they are into spurring application development why should I care what “other people” think about it?
    He addresses this in #9. No one knows if it is built well, and no one has seen it function as advertised. Some that have handled it say it feels cheap. Videos of it functioning show horrible sluggishness. Some of the high-profile apps and features are not present in the build. It is incomplete software running on pre-alpha hardware. All we have to go on are early impressions, and HP's history of build quality.
    There's one good thing that the Touchpad will have over the Ipad... there won't be much of a line to get one if any at all. You should be able to walk right in and get one... no camping out like the Verizon Iphone launch. Take that Apple.
    HP is not targeting the consumer because they know their leverage is in business. Their plan is to make webOS relevant for business before Apple and RIM can do it (Android really isn't there).

Once they are relevant in business, they'll focus more attention on the consumer. They'll never ignore the consumer (e.g. the Everybody On campaign), but they aren't going to win this in that arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    HP is not targeting the consumer because they know their leverage is in business. Their plan is to make webOS relevant for business before Apple and RIM can do it
    Too late!
    AppleInsider | Nearly half of small business users accessing work email use iPhone
    Wow!!! That's really BAD. That means iPhone has more penetration in corporate (as a percentage) than consumer. Not good at all for HP.

They will make inroads, but that's tough. IT department have to support iPhone and by extension now iPad. HP is probably strong enough to get added to the list as long as Window 7 phone continues to suck wind.
    @ncinerate
    "scratch attracting plastic screen" ?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    HP TouchPad Euphoria:

Can't wait to get mine. ;-) ......it'll go great w/ my new Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    You're trying too hard.
    I realize that it's an article written with a negative slant (and I'm fine with that, for the record. I mean, I'm not interested in the Touchpad myself, I prefer Windows Tablet PCs).

However, you'd think he could do more than repeat the same points over and over again:

3. No one knows what the iPad 2 will offer
    4. Android 3.0 Honeycomb shouldn't be forgotten
    6. It's running WebOS (which is described as an issue because it's not the iOS and Android of the competition)
    8. The market will be inundated with competition
    10. It's an HP Product (and not Apple)

Um, aren't these all the same thing? If five of your points boil down to repeating the same refrain, maybe you should consider making a top five list.
    It is a FUD article. Plain and simple. I'm getting pretty tired of FUD around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It is a FUD article. Plain and simple. I'm getting pretty tired of FUD around here.

You should tell that to HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You should tell that to HP.
    I know, right? They have a lockdown on the "U" and "D" portions of that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast