Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21  
    The device is cool now but in 4-5 months time when its ready to ship, will be stale & outdated.
    Palm did this mistake of announcing things months before they were available & now HP is doing the same..
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The article lost all credibility with me when it basically stated that webOS is a liability for users.
    Look what happened to consumers and developers with the 2.0 pull. So far it is a liability!

    I just noticed he said the resolution may be a liability, not webOS. Just that webOS isn't popular enough.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/12/2011 at 04:28 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It is a FUD article. Plain and simple. I'm getting pretty tired of FUD around here.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    There's truth about long wait time, competition and lack of webOS consumer penetration and apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Wow!!! That's really BAD. That means iPhone has more penetration in corporate (as a percentage) than consumer. Not good at all for HP.
    Small business does not make up the majority of the corporate market. RIM still owns that, though their majority is shrinking, and Blackberry OS 6 is not going to stop that. Apple's numbers (presented in a meeting I was in a couple of weeks ago by someone from Apple) said that 40% of new iPhones are going to the corporate market, but that till means a majority are consumer and doesn't factor in the legacy ownership.

    They will make inroads, but that's tough. IT department have to support iPhone and by extension now iPad. HP is probably strong enough to get added to the list as long as Window 7 phone continues to suck wind.
    I will be making sure that IT where I am looks at it. (I can do that because I'm in that department and I am part of the group that evaluates new mobile device concepts. )
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
  5. #25  
    Don't put to much stock in one writers opinion. It's like Fox news, they have to come up with some kind of story.

    What is more intriguing is the reaction of the audience when the Veer and Pre 3 devices were announced by Rubinstein.
  6. #26  
    This is the only webos tablet that will be available.

    Euphoria justified.

    Seriously folks, 4 months isn't that long and even if the ipad 2 comes out it's still running iOS, which sucks.

    I don't care if it has 5 million pixels on it, it is still an ipad. I don't care if it has 5 billions apps, I'd only use 15 of them anyway. The ipad uses iOS and is locked down. Lets see apple donate anything to their jailbreak team other than handcuffs.

    Be patient people. We'll all be happy in the end. Have faith

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I realize that it's an article written with a negative slant (and I'm fine with that, for the record. I mean, I'm not interested in the Touchpad myself, I prefer Windows Tablet PCs).

    However, you'd think he could do more than repeat the same points over and over again:

    3. No one knows what the iPad 2 will offer
    4. Android 3.0 Honeycomb shouldn't be forgotten
    6. It's running WebOS (which is described as an issue because it's not the iOS and Android of the competition)
    8. The market will be inundated with competition
    10. It's an HP Product (and not Apple)

    Um, aren't these all the same thing? If five of your points boil down to repeating the same refrain, maybe you should consider making a top five list.
    Reminds me of many of the SAME posters who chime in every thread to speak ill of anything webOS/HP.

    We all know they cant wait to buy the next webOS product (sarcasm). One would think and HOPE these folks are REALLY getting paid to come to a webOS ethusist forum to trash it daily.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    This is the only webos tablet that will be available.

    Euphoria justified.

    Seriously folks, 4 months isn't that long and even if the ipad 2 comes out it's still running iOS, which sucks.

    I don't care if it has 5 million pixels on it, it is still an ipad. I don't care if it has 5 billions apps, I'd only use 15 of them anyway. The ipad uses iOS and is locked down. Lets see apple donate anything to their jailbreak team other than handcuffs.

    Be patient people. We'll all be happy in the end. Have faith

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Its a waste of time to tell these same posters to be patient. View there posts/created threads and you will find a common trend; they are generally VERY negative towards HP/webOS no matter the topic.

    I am sure these same posters will talk about how they had the Pre/Pre+/Pixi, but gave up, blah blah blah. Now that HP owns webOS, has a plan and are moving to execute it, this gallery now has to shift their negativity towards EVERY single letter/word/ action made/taken by HP, again, although none will likely purchase a webOS device.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 02/12/2011 at 10:58 PM.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    @ncinerate
    "scratch attracting plastic screen" ?
    Was just a joke. Glass - I know, I know . And maybe even a cool device, was just laughing at the lack of capability in such a "technically" capable device.

    You're trying too hard.
    That was kinda the point. Lol.
  10. #30  
    For those discounting HP in the corporate arena, a quick scan around about any corporate headquarters and you will quickly find HP pc's, laptops, servers, routers, switches, printers, copiers, scanners and a whole host of other connected enterprise products, now add to that phones and tablets and you have enterprise penetration that apple could only dream of and android doesn't even have a start. I am pretty sure they can pull it off just fine. And once they have it all pulled together and communicating well in the cloud, they can just take a page out of apple's playbook and make it difficult for anything else to integrate well.

    But aren't there apple and android forums for people who enjoy those devices to go and help others or talk about the merits or drawbacks of their own favorite devices and OS's?

    I personally am looking forward to the new devices. I like the specs and features and OS just fine. I wouldn't buy an apple or android device anyway. I don't like either of their OS's.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  11. #31  
    Second Paragraph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Reisinger, eweek
    They especially point to the updates HP has brought to WebOS, including the way in which users can move from one program to another to increase productivity while using the mobile operating system. For sure, it's an interesting update.
    That quote ruined his cred with me if he's saying those were HP's ideas.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  12. #32  
    If the comments cannot stay civil, we will close the thread. Please stay on-topic, remember what site this is, and stick to discussions about hardware and not people.
    Thanks!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Don't put to much stock in one writers opinion. It's like Fox news, they have to come up with some kind of story.
    Excellent point, MSNBC and their facts every night...they don't have time to make stuff up!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Be patient people. We'll all be happy in the end. Have faith
    Patience is waiting 2.1 years between major product announcements, replacing your malfunctioning device repeatedly and hanging in there.

    Patience is seeing your OS development/improvements come to a standstill for months, but believing assurances that the next OS release is just around the corner.

    Faith works well for religion, but not so well for business.

    Zealotry is being treated poorly for 2 years and believing this time it will finally get better for sure.

    Insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Zealotry is being treated poorly for 2 years and believing this time it will finally get better for sure.
    I'm curious, how exactly have Pre users been treated poorly for 2 years? The only real example of being treated 'poorly' is the 2.1 update issue, and even that sucks, but it's a single unfortunate decision based on the software being presumptively too buggy.

    But until then, I can't think of a single instance where I think Palm has treated me poorly.

    Have the carriers screwed over Pre users by not releasing or taking too long to release new hardware? Yes.

    Has Palm's hardware from between the Pre and the Pre 3 been only minor upgrades? Yes.

    But how exactly is that being treated poorly? Or am I supposed to take everything that happens personally like some people here seem to be?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm curious, how exactly have Pre users been treated poorly for 2 years? The only real example of being treated 'poorly' is the 2.1 update issue, and even that sucks, but it's a single unfortunate decision based on the software being presumptively too buggy.

    But until then, I can't think of a single instance where I think Palm has treated me poorly.

    Have the carriers screwed over Pre users by not releasing or taking too long to release new hardware? Yes.
    Come on, now, you can't believe this. Sprint carried Palm in the first place and got stuck with their worst batch of hardware while Palm ran to Verizon with an improved, exclusive version just six months later.

    Verizon, having been sold a bill of goods, then ran two different marketing campaigns and gave away the hotspot for free, then the phone soon after...and still couldn't get rid of all of their stock. Eventually HP paid people to take the rest.

    AT&T agreed to sell a minor upgrade of a year-old device at a nigh premium price ($150). Still trying to get rid of their stock too.

    Meanwhile, HP didn't offer a truly "new" piece of hardware until October - 16 months after the original Pre hit the market - and Verizon was rightfully in no rush to get it out given the way the last one went just 9 months ago.

    Palm screwed themselves and their users repeatedly. Using an application framework you abandon a year later? Making promises about 2.0 and Flash they didn't deliver on? Mojo Messaging?

    I wouldn't take any of this personally either, but the carriers have clearly fulfilled their obligations, and Palm clearly did not. HP is just picking up the baton.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Come on, now, you can't believe this. Sprint carried Palm in the first place and got stuck with their worst batch of hardware while Palm ran to Verizon with an improved, exclusive version just six months later.

    Verizon, having been sold a bill of goods, then ran two different marketing campaigns and gave away the hotspot for free, then the phone soon after...and still couldn't get rid of all of their stock. Eventually HP paid people to take the rest.

    AT&T agreed to sell a minor upgrade of a year-old device at a nigh premium price ($150). Still trying to get rid of their stock too.

    Meanwhile, HP didn't offer a truly "new" piece of hardware until October - 16 months after the original Pre hit the market - and Verizon was rightfully in no rush to get it out given the way the last one went just 9 months ago.

    Palm screwed themselves and their users repeatedly. Using an application framework you abandon a year later? Making promises about 2.0 and Flash they didn't deliver on? Mojo Messaging?

    I wouldn't take any of this personally either, but the carriers have clearly fulfilled their obligations, and Palm clearly did not. HP is just picking up the baton.
    How does the fact that the devices weren't selling mean that Palm has treated me poorly again?

    I will admit that my choice of words there could've been more clear though. I'm not solely blaming the carriers for the lack of updated devices, because sales were pretty bad anyway, so they didn't have much incentive regardless, just saying that I don't think that's an example of supposed poor treatment.

    I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to feel like I've been treated poorly for two years though. I've had a phone that does what I need it to, and has only gotten better in the time I've had it.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm curious, how exactly have Pre users been treated poorly for 2 years? The only real example of being treated 'poorly' is the 2.1 update issue, and even that sucks, but it's a single unfortunate decision based on the software being presumptively too buggy.
    How's Flash working for you? It's been over a year since Palm said it's "almost here."

    How's that SDK working for you with all those awesome APIs that bring the developers in by the droves? the 1.x version never got voice and camera APIs so Palm users have "done without" while the rest of the world marches on.

    Most of the added usefulness in webOS came from the Homebrew community, not Palm. I suppose you think Palm deserves all the credit for keeping their otherwise incomplete OS open to the homebrewers.

    I'll resist the urge to drag you back through 20 months of ongoing, consistent complaints of poor build, lagging OS, marginally functioning programs - I suspect you're one of those "rare" ones who would only respond, "Mine works perfectly - it does everything I need it to do and more."

    Too bad Palm couldn't find enough like you to make a competitive go at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80
    I've had a phone that does what I need it to, and has only gotten better in the time I've had it.
    LOL - right on cue!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    How's Flash working for you? It's been over a year since Palm said it's "almost here."

    How's that SDK working for you with all those awesome APIs that bring the developers in by the droves? the 1.x version never got voice and camera APIs so Palm users have "done without" while the rest of the world marches on.

    Most of the added usefulness in webOS came from the Homebrew community, not Palm. I suppose you think Palm deserves all the credit for keeping their otherwise incomplete OS open to the homebrewers.

    I'll resist the urge to drag you back through 20 months of ongoing, consistent complaints of poor build, lagging OS, marginally functioning programs - I suspect you're one of those "rare" ones who would only respond, "Mine works perfectly - it does everything I need it to do and more."

    Too bad Palm couldn't find enough like you to make a competitive go at it.

    LOL - right on cue!
    My original Pre is still going strong, though I did convert it to a Plus maybe 6 months ago. I know many have had build quality issues, but I haven't had a single one. I suppose if I'd gone through a bunch of Pres, I might feel treated poorly, but at the same time, it's my understanding that people with defective Pres have had them replaced (even if repeatedly) from the carriers or Palm themselves. Even still (maybe it's because I work in quality control at the moment), I'm not sure that I would take quality issues as being treated poorly, but just a design mistake.

    I did use homebrew and patches for a while, but I found that I'd rather have everything stock to get rid of the uncertainty of why I was having issues (and surprise, haven't had issues since I got rid of the 70 or so hacks, patches, and kernels.) It's great that Palm is leaving the OS open, but even if they hadn't, it wouldn't affect my usage.

    As for the Flash thing, I'm not entirely sure why people NEED to have it anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's something that'd have been nice (if it even works well), but I don't really see why people all of a sudden treated it as a necessity. I've been okay without Flash on my device for years, not sure why I would need it now. Though I've never actually been a fan of Flash on the PC either, so I might be biased there.

    If you needed a phone with Voice Dialing, then I still don't see why you would have gotten the Pre. For the nearly a decade of having smartphones before I got the Pre, I've had voice dialing maybe 70% of that time, and have had the need to use it a grand total of zero times. I can see how it's useful for people and why people wanted it, but if a phone didn't have something I'd need, then I wouldn't buy it.

    I guess that's the biggest difference though. Maybe if I bought a phone on hopes and dreams, then I might feel like I was treated poorly. I instead bought a phone that did what I needed it to do, and did it better than the competition, while improving those features every step along the way. If I'm supposed to feel bad about this, then I'm sorry I don't.

    Anyway, this is getting way off topic. I agree with the article title that the euphoria is premature, I personally probably won't be buying a TouchPad because again, I prefer Windows Tablets, but I still feel the article is stretching one point into five separate points, I don't feel poorly about the way I've been treated, and I don't feel bad about the decision I made when I got a Pre.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/13/2011 at 01:24 PM.
  20. #40  
    It's interesting that so many try so hard to convince those of us actually satisfied with our "non-perfect" devices (name one that isn't) that we are either delusional or inconsequential. Whether HP or Palm produces phones 5 years from now is really of no concern to me. That certainly doesn't change the fact that some of us have actually been content... and do not feel "screwed" by Palm. The only disappointment I will have is if Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3, as I am approaching the 2 year anniversary of using the device that HAS fulfilled all of my needs (and I am of clear and sound mind). I look at the new devices as trading in for a new version of the same model, with the concomitant upgrades -even if some features "could have been" added to my existing Pre! I would prefer new features via updates only if they don't compromise what the phone does for me currently.

    Finally, these forums may have a tendency to skew reality as the number of satisfied (not totally, but enough so) users that actually chime in is most likely dwarfed by the vocal skeptics. But again, as a previous person has asked, remind me again about how Palm has screwed me so that I can respond more appropriately next time - because I thought I was happy with their product!!! Clearly HP is interested in producing more products and increasing their customer base to include more people like me. I wish them well in their quest. But if they do not succeed, I bet there will still be plenty of options elsewhere.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions