1.    #1  
    Did people really expect a device to be launched in March? Don't get me wrong -- when I heard HP's CEO announce that the product would be able to ship in weeks after the official announcement, I got excited too. I am disappointed with what he said and the false hope he gave us.

With that said, before that time, I never expected to see a launch until summer 2011. I was hoping May 2011 for the phone (because thats when my upgrade is) but deep inside I new the Summer 2011 would be the day. I mean, it took Apple at least a year to develop the iPad. More then a year to develop the iPhone. Do you really think HP could do it in 8 months? Thats asking a lot and it just wasn't going to happen. Not if we wanted a good product -- like they showed us.

And then you ask why show us now? Because we wanted them to. We were making fun of them when they said "more in the coming months". We wanted to see what they had in store, and they gave us a sneak peak.

Now this does not change a fact that has been mentioned before. The iPad 2 will be out before the HP TouchPad. That is a very bad thing. We don't know what March will bring, but I am sure Apple will bring it and step up their game. Why do I think so? People on Apple fan sites are pleased with the HP TouchPad, calling the tap to share and phone sharing ability (text/calls to the TouchPad) amazing. A phrase you hear a lot when they talk about the HP Announcement is "Finally a good competitor for Apple." However, they too complain about the timing and lack of price. Those are crucial things not announced.

The best thing HP could do -- or I should say should be doing -- is wait until Apple announces iPad 2 features with iOS 5.0. Then drop another bomb shell and give us some new features that Apple does not have. Maybe (if possible) announce that their product will be here on May 22, 2011 (I doubt that will happen though for the reasons stated above). That way you cut the steam that Apple has with your own announcement of new features. Possibly get some people who where going to buy an iPad 2 wait until the TouchPad comes out.

That is the best they can do. Plus continue to leak info to the press to keep us happy. 'Cuz I know they have more then this to show us. That much is clear.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Did people really expect a device to be launched in March? Don't get me wrong -- when I heard HP's CEO announce that the product would be able to ship in weeks after the official announcement, I got excited too. I am disappointed with what he said and the false hope he gave us.

With that said, before that time, I never expected to see a launch until summer 2011. I was hoping May 2011 for the phone (because thats when my upgrade is) but deep inside I new the Summer 2011 would be the day. I mean, it took Apple at least a year to develop the iPad. More then a year to develop the iPhone. Do you really think HP could do it in 8 months? Thats asking a lot and it just wasn't going to happen. Not if we wanted a good product -- like they showed us.
    You seem to be pulling what is know in journalism as 'the reverse ferret':

I am on my break right now, no time to read through this topic -- but this is really the first confirmation that PHONES are ready and will be discussed this Feb. 9th. Before it was just a general "WebOS Announcement" where general product info will be discussed, but now we need to get rid of out iPhones and iPads because on Feb. 9th, they will be ready. Or at least soon after that announcement. Which I am happy about!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/fu...ployees-3.html
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You seem to be pulling what is know in journalism as 'the reverse ferret':

http://discussion.treocentral.com/fu...ployees-3.html
    If your trying to say I say one thing one day and I turn around and say something else, the second sentence of my post I did mention I was happy. meaning, I did get excited and did take them at face value.

However, if you continue to read what I said instead of trying to poke wholes in my post, you'll see that I said BEFORE they announced that -- which, in case you are confused at what that means, it means that the days, weeks, months preceding the announcement of that we would get devices soon after the Feb 9th event, I believed we would not get devices until Summer 2011. Maybe if we are lucky, May 2011. And that was really me being optimistic and hoping I could get a device when my upgrade comes up.

And for a note to the mods and to CGK -- I know CGK knows what before meant, but apparently he did not read my post or did not understand. So I tried to re-explain what I said. Shorter.

As a side note, I never go to Treocentral. IS treocentral forums the same as Precentral -- like is this post in treocentral forums?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    It is all the same - I have never been to precentral.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It is all the same - I have never been to precentral.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Ah very cool!
    I expected the CEO to be a man of his word.
    I expected HP to understand that announcing before the iPad 2 and then launching after it was ridiculous unless the spec sheet for the TouchPad was massively better.
    I expected the Pre3 to have 4G.

If they had announced at CES and not had the CEO F it up with his statements, I would have expected June (like the original Pre).

I started a whole thread defending HPs progress to date. However, they've shot themselves in the foot on this one.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I expected the CEO to be a man of his word.
    I expected HP to understand that announcing before the iPad 2 and then launching after it was ridiculous unless the spec sheet for the TouchPad was massively better.
    I expected the Pre3 to have 4G.

If they had announced at CES and not had the CEO F it up with his statements, I would have expected June (like the original Pre).

I started a whole thread defending HPs progress to date. However, they've shot themselves in the foot on this one.
    I agree on that part. I still want to find out why he did that.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Anyone else get the feeling that HP doesn't know what to do when people are actually excited to buy their products?
    My opinion is the CEO was just as unhappy as we are about the timeline he knew we were getting and was speaking future tense.

After the new devices are released when scheduled, I think this will be the LAST time HP products are announced without being ready for release within 1 month.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Agreed. Once they are on a reg prod cycle we will see new devices be released regurlarly and timely like the other HP products. It takes any large corporation 18-24 to fully absorb an acquisition such as Palm and integrate it. So I think they are doing pretty good.
    ps: I believe the products released were still mostly palm products that got executed by HP. The next set of devices will be 100% HP and many factors. IMHO.