1.    #1  
    I am very sad. HP had such a great catch with webOS and the just made another apple_clone_pad.

If i would have worked with HP this would have been the PalmPad*

The PalmPad would not have a button, but two gesture-bars. Most people use a tablet only in two ways. The tilt it to the left or to the right. There are just a few person wich would use a pad on all for possible ways.

The first gesturebar would have been central on the bottom, for the average use. It would just work as it does on the webOS phones. Backswipe, forward and so on.
    The second gesturebar would be on the right side. Also in the middle. This area would be the scrollbar for the most simple apps, like browser or mail. When holding this gesturebar and moving to the screen, you would pop out a wavebar like you do with the phone, but this wavebar would only show a specific app-menu-bar.
    For the brwoser this could be a quickaction for sharing, adding to bookmarks, zoom in/out, translate or any other quickaction you would like to add.

This is the way you would work safe with the pad, when you are holding it. Just imagine you are standing and holding the pad with both hands. You could work fast with you thumb, but are also holding the pad thight with both hands.

I would have also added the two cards interface. Two cards at the same time opened up, this is true multitasking and would be a feature apples ios would copy from webos. This feature alone could be a "killer"-argument for the PalmPad.
    When two windows/cards are open the second gesture bar would gain some special operations for this modus. With it you could lock one of the two cards for example.

Example: You are watching a Hulu movie and you received a important mail, but down want to stop you movie. Lock the one card. and open up the app-launcher (this will automaticly open in just one half of the screen) choose the mail app (this fills the not locked screenspace, so that mail an hulu are open at the same time) and write you mail while watching you hulu movie. Other example are videoconference while simutanously handling the presentation you are showing.

There are so many more ideas you could do with two bar. But using a button? This is like inventing the wheel and making it a square. A big step backwards.

I cant believe nobody of HP had this idea. They only made a webos ipad. Apple always used a homebutton, but webos the gesturebar. So why changing. Dont copy apple, dont the a sheep. Step ahead and be leader.

PS: PalmPad*, now we know why it is call TouchPad, because HP is believing Palm is not worth to be mentioned anymore, but Palm had a great idea for a perfect os. HP did not show any genius at the moment, they just crippled webOS.
    I would like to help them developing webOS further, but i am neither an employee nor a programmer. I am just a dreamer.

PPS: My biggest concern is, that apple will build in -sooner or late- a multi-app-view for sure. After apple everybody will and again the press will say: Apple had done a masterpiece, the changed the hole PAD-Computer industry with their power of innovation.

PPPS: I am sorry for my english, i have seen a few spelling misstakes and i dont believe my grammer is really good, but english just the fourth language i have learned.
    I was shocked to here no gestures for HP TouchPad as well. But in thinking about it, you would have no idea where the orientation would be. What if you flip it and the gesture area is on top instead of the bottom?

But I think this is more then just an iPad clone. This has unique features that even Apple fans want. The tablet to phone integration is a wonderful idea and I am not sure Apple will be doing that. It's possible, but it doesn't sit well with how Apple works. And Music Synergy -- which is a "hidden feature" we don't know any details about (but can guess what it is) -- is going to be another thing I am not sure Apple will do. Apple likes using iTunes concept, which means that any type of auto syncing across multiple devices (your computer, your phone, your tablet) is out of the question.

But it's possible Apple might do something like that in the future. Or possible this year. I just don't see them doing it. Innovation is not always about hardware, but also software. And HP brought both I think with the TouchPad. And I am not alone in thinking that.
    No worries, your English is just fine.

As for innovation, HP has certainly added a few twists to the OS here and there. The problem is those twists will be lost on the comparison shopper, because all they will see is something that looks a lot like an iPad.

HP went out of its way to emulate the iPad's appearance, size, and weight. That is what buyers will see before even turning it on. Once they do, they will see grids of icons and a dock. Whatever innovations HP put in it will be lost on them.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Apple likes using iTunes concept, which means that any type of auto syncing across multiple devices (your computer, your phone, your tablet) is out of the question.
    a Iphone synch via wifi with your mac. Nothing new.

The gesturebar would just follow the screen oriantation. The phone can it*, why should the ipad (oh i meant touchpad) not be able.

*open browser, tilt phone 90 degree. Gestureare is now scoll area.

Design: The market is full of iphone and ipad clones. It is good that HP keept the pre design, this is something palm/webos unique and not just a rip off. But this was a Palm invention again. Palm had sure invented a better design
    Last edited by DirkGently; 02/11/2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post

The gesturebar would just follow the screen oriantation. The phone can it*, why should the ipad (oh i meant touchpad) not be able.

Yep, or just have capacitive areas on all 4 sides and activate (or respond to) them depending on device orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post

They could have done that, very true. And your iPhone can sync via Wifi, really? That I did not know. Can my iPod do that?

And it would be something new if you can get your music even when your not at your home. But we'll just wait till Music Synergy is actually announced to discuss whether it's new or not.
    First of all, PalmPad was refused a trademark by the govt office.

Secondly, I would buy the touchpad before anything I've heard on this thread.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, but you are already webOSed. A new customer needs to be catched with good marketing. Gestures was a concept of webOS from the beginning and also something others have copied (which means, it was a good invention).
    Multitasking + gestures would be what people have in mind when they talk about webos.
    Apps and itunes is what they have in common with apple
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yep, or just have capacitive areas on all 4 sides and activate (or respond to) them depending on device orientation.
    this is what i believe is ideal, and was hoping would happen.

the no gesture area on the tablet really sucks.
    Alright, there is no gesture area, does anyone know if there are ANY gestures on the tablet (at least swipe up for launcher!?!)?

Also, is this lack of gestures inherent to webOS 3.x and ENYO? If so, does that mean that gestures in webOS phones will soon be gone too?
    Personally, I’m not too bothered by the loss of gesture area (In honesty, I’d like to see the dedicated gesture area be removed from the phone and replaced with more screen space, make the gesture area an “optional” feature that can be eliminated for apps that don’t need it.)

On the pad, I can see a number of use cases (setting it on your lap while sitting in a chair) where it could be awkward to swipe with you hand. Further, the size of the pad makes holding/moving/stabilizing it different than a phone. Holding the phone in the palm of your hand is feasible. Holding a tablet is usually done by wrapping your thumb around the edge of it. As such, I’m a fan of having an inch or so of “dead space” around the perimeter that is unresponsive to accidental touches.

Anyway, if the touchpad comes out with all the webos goodies *and* they get more top notch apps released (Netflix I’m looking right at you…) I’ll buy it and be happy. Even without a gesture area.

-Suntan
    Also, while we are talking about innovation.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the lack of side-by-side card view on the touchpad.

I would like to have the ability to have two portrait cards side-by-side when the touchpad is in landscape orientation. Two cards at 512 wide by 768 tall is still far more resolution than the current pre.

I could see a couple uses, from having a webpage open on one while having email on the other for example.

-Suntan
    ummm...i don't see why a gesture area is so hard on a tablet (cf. Playbook). If you can hold a tablet and touch the screen, then you can hold a tablet and swipe on a gesture area!

Also, do you like trying to find and then tap tiny little arrows (which will be in different places on different apps i'm sure)?
    Do you like them covering content on your screen?
    Do you like needing to press a physical button (like that is easier than swiping...) which is only in one location on your device whether in landscape or portrait? Try doing that while holding your tablet one handed...I suppose on an iPad/Touchpad if you are holding the pad in one hand then with the other you have to grip around the side of the tablet so that your able to press the button with your thumb!
    Do you prefer doing multiple steps in order to switch to another app rather than just swiping across a gesture area?

In any case...if you answered yes to all those things then I guess a gesture area isn't for you. You should be happy with the future of HP webOS it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    ummm...i don't see why a gesture area is so hard on a tablet (cf. Playbook). If you can hold a tablet and touch the screen, then you can hold a tablet and swipe on a gesture area!

Also, do you like trying to find and then tap tiny little arrows (which will be in different places on different apps i'm sure)?
    Do you like them covering content on your screen?
    Do you like needing to press a physical button (like that is easier than swiping...) which is only in one location on your device whether in landscape or portrait? Try doing that while holding your tablet one handed...I suppose on an iPad/Touchpad if you are holding the pad in one hand then with the other you have to grip around the side of the tablet so that your able to press the button with your thumb!
    Do you prefer doing multiple steps in order to switch to another app rather than just swiping across a gesture area?

In any case...if you answered yes to all those things then I guess a gesture area isn't for you. You should be happy with the future of HP webOS it seems.
    Are you seriously making the case that "swiping" is better (or worse) than pressing a button?

Jeez. You guys are dedicated to this stuff.

Anyway, rage on man. Rage on.

-Suntan
    While I agree there should have been gestures, they'd need to incorprate it into the screen. When people hold a heavy/big device like a tablet, their fingers wrap onto the bezel/border where the gesture bar would be. The device would have to know when to ignore fingers there and when not to - and how would it do that? But they could have made the screen just a tiny bit taller and made that extra space the gesture bar. And there could have been some cool things don there with animations, etc.
    I think we all imagined the gesture area would rotate and stay on the bottom. I don't think people really hold tablets on the bottom. They hold the side.

suntan, I don't mean to 'rage' at you, sorry.