1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    We know the original Palm Pre models and Pixi won't get upgraded to webOS 2.0, and we also know all about the new Enyo app development framework. But what about running those apps written in the older Mojo framework on webOS 3.0 devices, like the TouchPad? They'll be supported, so says HP Developer Relations and Framework Engineer Ben Combee. A first tweet indicated that "On webOS 3, Mojo apps will run in an emulation window with back and forward buttons at bottom."
    HP confirms legacy webOS apps will run on webOS 3.0, TouchPad keeps its Mojo -- Engadget
    I saw this yesterday and didn't know how to interpret it. Apps will run in emulation, I believe, in a smaller window. If it is anything like the way iPhone apps run on the iPad, it is a bad solution. Sure, the apps run, but in most cases, the experience is sub-optimal. iPhone apps are definitely second-class citizens on the iPad. That is why almost 60,000 iPad specific apps are compelling. Emulation is not the answer, IMO.
    This mean I shouldnt be scared to login to my touchpad with my legacy sprint pre w/ 2.1.0 meta doctor profile, that those apps should run on it fine and not cause any compatibility issues?
    Wasn't this already said? Or was it that the Mojo apps were going to run on the TouchPad so we all just assumed that they worked on all 3.0 devices?
    What I want to know is how they will all run on the Pre3, Veer, and the Pre2. Hopefully they won't worry about this stupid virtual back and forth button stuff.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Yes, it was said, back on February 11, when OP posted this now revived thread.
    I think the emulator would not be necessary on a device that has the gesture area.
    havenot seen your avatar for sometime, welcome back!
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Surely the emulation wouldn't be in a little window quite like the ipad - after all, webos is incredibly scalable, that's one of the main things about it. So it may be emulated, but I'd say it'd be full size except possible a pre-esque gesture area.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Surely the emulation wouldn't be in a little window quite like the ipad - after all, webos is incredibly scalable, that's one of the main things about it. So it may be emulated, but I'd say it'd be full size except possible a pre-esque gesture area.
    Don't think so. Think I read something that it will be basically a Pre(ish) looking emulator that will not be full screen. We'll all find out for sure in about 2 weeks
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    am I the only one to whom it seems this goes against the whole concept of webOS's scalability?

Bloody hell.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    As I recall, developers will have the option of going fullscreen or not with Mojo, but they lose the virtual keyboard if they go fullscreen.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums