Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    PC Mag gave some inside scoop about their backroom holding of the TouchPad. For this access, no video or photo was available. According to the journalist, the camera was not working - there was no app to enable the camera. The music app was just an icon - no music app was installed either The "Beats by Dr. Dre" was not in this build as well according to the rep. I am assuming that other basic functionality was missing as well.
    So, I am assuming that HP is still building the Enyo basic apps for WebOS 3.0. I hope that they can get it done by this summer. I have to think with all of the tablet introductions that the hardware has to be available - it makes much more sense that it's a software holdup. If every company in Taiwan and China can and has introduced a tablet with Android, then obviously the hardware is available.
  2. #2  
    The pad is just a step above vaporware, IMO. The UI that they were able to show off looked extremely sluggish. I knew about some of the missing software. I didn't know about the speakers.

    Since they are this far away from having a final product, why announce it at all? Why not just stick to the coming months?
  3. #3  
    Do you have a source, a link perhaps?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The pad is just a step above vaporware, IMO. The UI that they were able to show off looked extremely sluggish. I knew about some of the missing software. I didn't know about the speakers.

    Since they are this far away from having a final product, why announce it at all? Why not just stick to the coming months?
    Normally I would have said to get corporates to build this into their purchasing budgets ahead of ipad and other pads;
    And also to foster developer support so they would have some good apps when they released and momentum going into the end of the year.
    But they've certainly killed that, haven't they?
    So I dunno...
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Do you have a source, a link perhaps?
    HP has partnered with Dr. Dre Beats to produce higher-quality audio on the device through the speakers and headphone jack. Too bad they didn't demonstrate that for me. HP told me the Dr Dre sound profiles weren't a part of this build.
    It did, however, become clear to me why HP could nto pull an Apple and let journlists have a hands-on free-for-all. There is just too much we could not try. The single 1.3-megapixel camera wasn't enabled on this build. The music-player app is no more than a screen shot.

    Up Close with the HP TouchPad | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
  6. #6  
    An interesting article. Certainly not a particularly negative one. Even, in places, quite positive.

    The key issue for me will be apps and usability. The OS software is clearly a long way off being finished and from what I've read the ENYO PDK is very alpha at the moment, so 3rd party apps will be few and far between for the moment.

    I'd say it has a lot of potential but that it will be sometime before it is ready for market.

    I've been looking forward to seeing what HP does with Palm but I an resigned to the fact that I will be making a choice between the Touchpad and an iPad 3 rather than an iPad 2.
  7. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #7  
    nothing better than some time pressure to get a nice, optimized OS and Apps out the door...


    ..looks like early adopters of the TP will be paying to beta test.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    PC Mag gave some inside scoop about their backroom holding of the TouchPad. For this access, no video or photo was available. According to the journalist, the camera was not working - there was no app to enable the camera. The music app was just an icon - no music app was installed either The "Beats by Dr. Dre" was not in this build as well according to the rep. I am assuming that other basic functionality was missing as well.
    So, I am assuming that HP is still building the Enyo basic apps for WebOS 3.0. I hope that they can get it done by this summer. I have to think with all of the tablet introductions that the hardware has to be available - it makes much more sense that it's a software holdup. If every company in Taiwan and China can and has introduced a tablet with Android, then obviously the hardware is available.
    And people wonder why HP gave up supporting older devices with WebOS. They are behind schedule and need to get new products out this summer. They can't miss another deadline.

    (Thanks to CGK for the link -- going to read it now)

    Edit/Note:
    It should be noted that Apple had a lot more time then 6-8 months to develop the iPad. They were working around the clock for probably a year or more to develop their iPad. HP has had just under 8 months (probably less) to develop this tablet. And it isn't just the HP Slate with WebOS -- it was developed ground up for WebOS). So it's a miracle they had this much done.
  9. #9  
    beta-testing with webOS is not that much of a pain, because they can rapidly deploy OTA updates.

    On the other hand...I think that development will very well speed up, as they scratched webOS 2.x for the older phones just to free ressources for speeding up webOS 3 development.
    Obviously the hardware is ready, just the software is not.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    beta-testing with webOS is not that much of a pain, because they can rapidly deploy OTA updates.

    On the other hand...I think that development will very well speed up, as they scratched webOS 2.x for the older phones just to free ressources for speeding up webOS 3 development.
    Obviously the hardware is ready, just the software is not.
    The hardware isn't ready. At least for the TouchPad. It didn't have the Dr Dre speakers in that build we saw. But it is also obvious the software is not ready, since many apss were not ready yet.
  11. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #11  
    yeah, i believe. it was a tough pill to swallow, but looking long term, if they manage to ship all future HP PCs with webos vertualized or with a dual boot option and have it enterprise ready i feel confident with their dicision. they are working to make things right. i hope maybe a discount on pre3? or maybe buy a tablet get a free pre 3? crossing my fingers. webos cann be a game changer!!
  12. #12  
    I dun mind beta test is coming weeks.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Edit/Note:
    It should be noted that Apple had a lot more time then 6-8 months to develop the iPad. They were working around the clock for probably a year or more to develop their iPad. HP has had just under 8 months (probably less) to develop this tablet. And it isn't just the HP Slate with WebOS -- it was developed ground up for WebOS). So it's a miracle they had this much done.
    I think this is the part that everyone is forgetting. HP didn't make the final sale until July of last year, which hasn't given them a ton of time to develop all new products. Apple, on the other hand, probably started the iPad 2 a week before the first one launched, giving them several more months on a platform that already existed.

    We don't REALLY know what HP has. They could have a finished product, but want to hold off until they've perfected everything. It's all still speculation at this point. But still interesting that PCMag comes out with all of that info..
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I think this is the part that everyone is forgetting. HP didn't make the final sale until July of last year, which hasn't given them a ton of time to develop all new products. Apple, on the other hand, probably started the iPad 2 a week before the first one launched, giving them several more months on a platform that already existed.

    We don't REALLY know what HP has. They could have a finished product, but want to hold off until they've perfected everything. It's all still speculation at this point. But still interesting that PCMag comes out with all of that info..
    That is true. HP said "this build". I am not sure if the quote from PCMag is a direct quote or not, but that tells me the TouchPad we saw was not the current build. And that makes sense. They probably produced these models last year. They probably have newer builds today. Just they couldn't show us those or didn't want to.

    Either way, as you pointed out, I really doubt we will see anything before Summer 2011 (I mean launch wise). Maybe May 2011. But thats wishful thinking.
  15. #15  
    It's OK to announce it. Just say, this is a proof of concept. Don't have a separate event for it. Don't promise "in weeks" and don't make a deal of it. Make a big deal of the ecosystem and where you're going. Tell us Summer 2011 at CES and be done with it.

    Then in Late April when Apple is about to ship, try to put a bug in their ointment. That might have worked. This didn't.
    __________________________________
    Palm Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Palm Pre (minus) . . . ???
  16. #16  
    A step above vaporware.. Are you kidding? They announced the pre in january and it was promised in june. The announcement demo was lacking bacause the phone was barely ready.

    Same thing for the pad and pre3. My guess is this rewrite for enyo was just that... A rewrite. Then an emulator for legacy apps.

    Sounds to me they are busy creating a new OS.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The pad is just a step above vaporware, IMO. The UI that they were able to show off looked extremely sluggish. I knew about some of the missing software. I didn't know about the speakers.

    Since they are this far away from having a final product, why announce it at all? Why not just stick to the coming months?
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new

Posting Permissions