View Poll Results: Do you need dedicated apps or is the browser enough?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ease and functionality of apps is very important

23 79.31%
  • No, on a tablet-sized screen, the browser is preferable to apps

6 20.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    As I look at the tablet landscape, one key consideration is developer support. However, with the big screen of a tablet, one could argue that apps are less relevant for most cloud/internet services.

How important is it to you to have a dedicated tablet-centric apps?

Would that change if there were a tablet browser or HTML5 spec that rendered mainstream websites better on tablet devices?
    you need everything. it's not a zero sum game. and you need to do it all as good if not better then the competition including the ipad.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I agree if web browsing was enough the internet only appliances of the late 90's early 2000's wouldn't have failed.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    MUST HAVE significant app quality and coverage or success is not possible.
    I was really hoping for Adobe Air capabilities. HP should look into it as they did with the Slate as it would open up a whole other catalog of powerful applications.

But yeah, you've got to have the apps. All of these iSheep will be comparing app counts to the TP...
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    I agree if web browsing was enough the internet only appliances of the late 90's early 2000's wouldn't have failed.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    The internet appliance of 2010 seems to be doing pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The internet appliance of 2010 seems to be doing pretty well.
    I guess that's why it has 60,000 apps and growing...because it's an internet appliance and people just stay in Safari. Yeaaaahhhhh......
    Applications are important to ALLLLL operating systems.

They've just become commonized with fruitco's brainwashing devices. "Whats your flashlight app?"

In the IT business, there is always this struggle between web apps and native apps. The more people sing the joys of web app architecture, the more people start to say whoa...dam this sucks. lets go native. Cyclic.

I for one like apps that i can use when there is no wifi/3G available. Those are my winners. Caching apps.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    The tablet=mini-computer, therefore you need apps. I'm not talking about those apps which are actually websites, that sounds like what you mean unless I'm misunderstanding you. I mean useful programs so you can leave the laptop at home or the office.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    Internet only appliances failed because the web looks TERRIBLE on an old-style analog TV.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
  11.    #11  
    I understand the need for separate applications for those functions that don't require web access. Frankly, I think most of those type applications are going to be available on all platforms (e.g. Quickoffice).

I'm thinking about Mint.com, Facebook, Bank websites, brokerages, Yelp, Meetup, etc.

Are there website enough on the larger screen of a tablet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess that's why it has 60,000 apps and growing...because it's an internet appliance and people just stay in Safari. Yeaaaahhhhh......
    The real question is, how many of those "apps" are actually just copies of a mobile web site or could have been done just as easily hosted on the web as a Flash or JAVA applet?

You know, if Steve was willing to support common web platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The real question is, how many of those "apps" are actually just copies of a mobile web site or could have been done just as easily hosted on the web as a Flash or JAVA applet?

You know, if Steve was willing to support common web platforms.
    A good many, to be sure. But how many are amazing games, or creative fun apps that leverage the responsive touchscreen, full access to the camera (Hipstamatic) and microphone (T-Pain, Glee), or something else custom made for that screen size?

If you think that adds negligible value to a mobile platform, then by all means...put all of your eggs in the browser and see how that works out.
    I think both are important. Some things like RSS or Fandango are things I don't mind using a browser for but others like Dropbox or Youtube I prefer apps. It's random and a bit difficult to put to words, but webapps or websites aren't always satisfying.
    Quality readers are a must for any tablet including the Touchpad - handling all the usual ebook formats natively without the need for conversion. Not to mention a decent PDF viewer (one that does not throw up "unable to render" messages).
    A full office suite bundled without having to purchase would be key too for serious users.
    Messaging apps including Skype/Video chat should be there.
    Aside from that, a good browser and email app would make the bare essentials of a decent Tablet IMO.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I think that tablets are custom made for Apps vs the Browser. Apps can be tailored for the device, they are easier to navigate and read. I realize having Flash is a big deal, but I still would like to have a dedicated Youtube app that takes advantage of the Touchpad interface. Frankly, from a tablet perspective, I would be quite happy if I never had to open the browser. Browsers were a great way to start the internet 15 years ago, but the form factor is dated and awkward. It is time to move on to something more intuitive and frankly, more fun to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    A good many, to be sure. But how many are amazing games, or creative fun apps that leverage the responsive touchscreen, full access to the camera (Hipstamatic) and microphone (T-Pain, Glee), or something else custom made for that screen size?

If you think that adds negligible value to a mobile platform, then by all means...put all of your eggs in the browser and see how that works out.
    No one is saying that we dont need apps, c'mon be serious here. All he, myself, and others are saying is if you take the number of apps for "common" tasks from iOS, the TPad doesn't need as many.

Sites that iOS has an app for, we can use in the browser:

Amazon
    Ebay
    Paypal
    All banking sites
    All credit union sites
    All news sites
    All streaming radio sites
    Google apps
    Mint.com
    Hulu
    Shopping sites for every retailer
    Nanaca Crash
    Canabalt
    Etc, etc.

Of course you can't do Need for Speed, or Angry Birds in the browser, or access the mic or camera, etc. But if you add up all the apps on iOS that fit the categories I listed above, that's no small number.
    sledge007 likes this.
    We need good apps. What we don't need are 56 different fart apps. Apple loves to point to their 100,000 iPad apps, but how many of them are actually worth the code they are written with?

If HP manages to only have 10,000 apps but they are the apps 99.99% of the population uses, then they will be fine.
    Of COURSE we need apps.

The point is that if you have a good browser and big screen, you don't need an app for engadget.com and an app for precentral.net and an app for google news and an app for your banks' websites and two dozen apps for all of your favorite blogs - because all those apps do is display a website, maybe with different controls, and exchange possible flash content to something the device can't understand.

This doesn't change anything about the fact that "legitimate" apps that are really useful and do not simply duplicate the content and functionality of a website DO exist, and these are the apps that we should have.

There's apps that use the internet in ways above and beyond what a browser allows (or allows easily). These are good apps.

Then there's apps that merely do what a website can do. these apps suck and are a danger to the internet as we know it - because as soon as companies notice that a service provided for free on the internet can suddenly ask for money if it's provided as an app, you'll see the internet die and become a hideout for geeks again, like in the early 90s, while all the cool stuff only goes on if you have the appropriate app on the appropriate software platform.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That's not entirely true, cobrakon. Many apps give alerts that the browser version won't. News aggregators stop the need to visit every single site you use for news. And I didn't see a mobile ready version of di.fm. Plus iOS doesn't use Flash, which Pandora and last.fm use in the browser.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast