View Poll Results: Do you need dedicated apps or is the browser enough?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ease and functionality of apps is very important

23 79.31%
  • No, on a tablet-sized screen, the browser is preferable to apps

6 20.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Good point. Now that I think about it, using the web on a tablet can be a great experience when the website is optimized for the tablet. For example, Google has a number of sites that have tablet/mobile optimized sites, (http://www.google.com/reader/i comes to mind). If I could get the TP to default to these, that would be excellent. I’m speaking only for myself, but I think a tablet is too small to be using a full size website. I just hope that more sites will start creating tablet friendly pages that will auto detect you’re using a tablet and direct you to them automatically. This would be a very happy alternative to having a site specific app.
    This thread is quickly becoming a justification for arguing the weaknesses of the TouchPad really aren't weaknesses at all, thread. Like arguing a 100hp engine in a Mustang GT isn't a weakness because you hardly ever use that extra 312hp anyway, and it gets bad fuel economy... Lack of apps is a huge weakness. There is no question.

If there are members who believe the opposite, well, it can only stem from: The part of the issue that is many webOS users don't understand exactly how tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of apps (an app or 5 for everything) impact day to day user experience. How many threads are created by somebody in the forums with a "holy crap, is this what I've been missing???" immediately after they switch to Android or iOS? Lots. Every day.

Apps are a really big deal. I think we can expect that HP understands apps are critical (even if some members in the forums refuse to admit it) and will continue to work to get more apps added. 300+ apps at launch isn't anything to sneeze at. It's a very solid start. I also think we can expect the community here to embrace apps and call them an asset when it suits them, which is probably after the TouchPad has thousands of available apps.

Does anybody in here have a Nintendo Wii? Do you have the Netflix App for the Wii or do you visit the Netflix.com website (you can do either). OMG, the app makes the Wii's Netflix experience about 1,000 times better (like my mom had me set up for her just a couple nights ago). That's what apps do. They dramatically enhance the user experience for websites when you're not using a very large screen and traditional user interface devices (keyboard/mouse).
    sinsin07 likes this.
    yes. some apps can be said to be better than the website?

On a tab i can just go directly go to the website than to access my app version that I have on my iphone... like etrade. but i find the etrade app so much more useful for me in the extra features they provide on the screen. chase app... yes i can go straight to the site now instead of an app for my iphone... but love having an app that will take me straight there... and i can deposit a check with my camera which i cant do on web.

when they do it right... they can provide more content and more value in an app version that you cant get in a web version.

companies are seeing that and they are starting to deliver.

people have to stop fooling themselves... the touchpad needs apps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's not entirely true, cobrakon. Many apps give alerts that the browser version won't. News aggregators stop the need to visit every single site you use for news. And I didn't see a mobile ready version of di.fm. Plus iOS doesn't use Flash, which Pandora and last.fm use in the browser.
    Need both
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's not entirely true, cobrakon. Many apps give alerts that the browser version won't.
    Agree 100%. Until Flash apps can use the notification system of the TouchPad, it can in no way replace native apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This discussion reminds me of the "Does anyone really need a tablet?" debates on this forum that we had after the iPad was introduced...
    The original iPad was more like an iGimmick at launch. Throngs of Apple zombies marched out and bought the largely useless device, though, and Apple used their muscle to coax a lot of app development. The iPad 2, though, starts getting awfully close to a laptop replacement for many people. Tablets are not a gimmick anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The original iPad was more like an iGimmick at launch. Throngs of Apple zombies marched out and bought the largely useless device, though, and Apple used their muscle to coax a lot of app development. The iPad 2, though, starts getting awfully close to a laptop replacement for many people. Tablets are not a gimmick anymore.
    You guys are amazing. Yep, all Apple customers are sheep and zombies? Or can it be that Apple makes great products?

EvilKell, since you are the expert, tell me the big difference between the iPad 1 and iPad 2 that makes the 1 a gimmick and the 2 a laptop replacement?
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Some websites are optimized well and you can "get by" just fine. But here are just two examples of excellent iPad apps that provide a far better experience than the web version

Bank Of America
    DirecTV
    well... i guess anything that is new is gonna seem gimmicky the first time around and takes time to see what applications it may have. the first car was probably thought to be gimmicky right? electric car even today still kind of gimmicky?

but even if the initial popularity surge is because it's all things apple, people have found use for it... hospitals are using ipad, news like asian military are going to start using ipad. airlines starting to use ipads. schools. still hasnt been a desktop/replacement for me or many others... but only been a couple of years.

should be interesting what will be possible.

Last edited by donm527; 07/07/2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Apps for tablets are great, when they are truly meant for their screen size and not just phone apps that stretches. When you have companies like KORG recreating many of their famous musical hardware hits on the Ipad, once you try them it is a no brainer why GREAT apps on a multi touch screen are amazing. This is beyond "surfing the net" and a lot of people are not aware of that yet. You don't need to go online or be on WiFi if you have an amazing app.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I don't think the two choices make this fair. I would be willing to bet if you added "A combination of both" as a choice (Which is exactly what the Touchpad allows) then it would be better. I can't personally choose either option, because neither are accurate for me. Too narrow.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Say what you will about the iPad, but no one can (truthfully) argue that there aren't some outstanding applications available. I only hope that HP can put enough of their weight behind the effort to get those companies to write equally outstanding applications for the Touchpad. I want the TP to succeed and I strongly believe that well written native apps are the way to go. Like I said earlier, given the choice, I would never have to open the browser to get a great experience on my TP.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Perhaps a combination is the best idea, but I would be hard pressed to have a desire to replace any of my native apps with a corresponding Flash-based replacement. Mostly because I have yet to see a Web app that offers a better experience than a native app.
    Thats one of the problems with webos, not enough webSheep to gain traction. The webos environment could use a few sheep herds.
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Perhaps a combination is the best idea, but I would be hard pressed to have a desire to replace any of my native apps with a corresponding Flash-based replacement. Mostly because I have yet to see a Web app that offers a better experience than a native app.
    I think you finally just figured out the point that you and I have seemingly been missing in our "disagreement" in the other thread. I agree 100% with this comment. I want BOTH options. If the Web app is better, I want that, if the native App is better, I want that. That's what I mean by combination really. As of right now iOS wins by number of apps, but in the case that their IS a better web app than the native app (which of course you personally have not seen any of, I respect that) on the Touchpad we have the choice. . . at least once the catalog is up to par.
    If you think web site are enough, you haven't used a well built app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    If you think web site are enough, you haven't used a well built app.
    Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to. The idea of a Flash-based web site replacing the need for native apps is baffling to us, but we have a different perspective because we have a large selection of apps to choose from.
    Of course we need apps. If a browser is all that we needed, than the iPad would be trash & all other tablets that run Flash would be king of the hill. I guarantee you, the millions & millions of people buying iPads aren't doing so because of it's browser; it's because of the 100,000+ iPad apps available for it.

Browsers are great, but no platform will survive without apps. That's just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to. The idea of a Flash-based web site replacing the need for native apps is baffling to us, but we have a different perspective because we have a large selection of apps to choose from.
    Exactly. Next year at this time we will see less of this kind of thread.

Tying in with apps:
    Apple’s App Store Downloads Top 15 Billion

That's 15 Billion iSheep downloads that didn't happen for webos.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Why is Balmer shouting developers for their mobile OS? Apps is definitely critical for a tablet regardless of how good the browsing is.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast