Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I was hoping for innovation, something that would make me say "who needs the iOS ecosystem, the TouchPad has _______." I don't think they even have a decent PDF reader in the works! Let alone the waiting, always with the waiting.

    That didn't happen, and the new phones look like more of the same, just bigger (and smaller?(did anyone ask for that?))

    iPad 2 here I come. My iPhone 4 and I will no longer be looking back. And that's a shame.
    Last edited by mclark2112; 02/10/2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

    Yes, I have a problem...
  2. #2  
    I dont blame you.

    when dust are settled, touchpad is underwhelming. I need to see more to make final decision.

    But I do have more appreciation for webOS, the multitasking, gesture system, synergy, keyboard, etc are simply fabulous, and Pre3 may just have what it needs to get me upgrade my pre (skype video).

    Apple products? well, thats a thanks, but hell no, thanks, from me.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    I was hoping for innovation, something that would make me say "who needs the iOS ecosystem, the TouchPad has _______." I don't think they even have a decent PDF reader in the works! Let alone

    That didn't happen, and the new phones look like more of the same, just bigger (and smaller?(did anyone ask for that?))

    iPad 2 here I come. My iPhone 4 and I will no longer be looking back. And that's a shame.
    Like the iphone ever really changed through the years?????????????????
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    I was hoping for innovation, something that would make me say "who needs the iOS ecosystem, the TouchPad has _______." I don't think they even have a decent PDF reader in the works! Let alone

    That didn't happen, and the new phones look like more of the same, just bigger (and smaller?(did anyone ask for that?))

    iPad 2 here I come. My iPhone 4 and I will no longer be looking back. And that's a shame.
    I would rather go with an really old school nokia 3110 (my first phone ever) then with a iPhone. But the same way as this is my decision, this is yours...
  5. #5  
    Ok, see ya!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dont blame you.

    when dust are settled, touchpad is underwhelming. I need to see more to make final decision.

    But I do have more appreciation for webOS, the multitasking, gesture system, synergy, keyboard, etc are simply fabulous, and Pre3 may just have what it needs to get me upgrade my pre (skype video).

    Apple products? well, thats a thanks, but hell no, thanks, from me.
    The Touchpad is underwhelming? It is so funny that people at a WebOS fan site are dissappointed but at an Apple fan site they are excited to see the features in the Touchpad (such as Tap to Share).
  7. xplode#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #7  
    the touchpad is underwhelming because we expected more, apple fans are excited because there are some (many?) cool things about it that they probably expect steve will incorporate into their future ipads.

    i'm excited watching stevenotes, even though i know i wouldn't buy an apple product - i'm excited because i'm a gadget nerd. i'm disappointed sometimes, too, because i'm a gadget nerd. like when gestures are dropped for no obvious good reason.
  8. DDT1345's Avatar
    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dont blame you.

    when dust are settled, touchpad is underwhelming. I need to see more to make final decision.

    But I do have more appreciation for webOS, the multitasking, gesture system, synergy, keyboard, etc are simply fabulous, and Pre3 may just have what it needs to get me upgrade my pre (skype video).

    Apple products? well, thats a thanks, but hell no, thanks, from me.
    But the "gesture system" is going the way of the dodo. Haven't you been paying attention?

    Who'd like another helping of anti-innovation?

    ME PLEASE!!!!!! Can I get a Pre with a rotary dial?!?! YEAH!
  9. rburna's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #9  
    the thing that gets me with Apple's current implementation is that all their devices are separate ecosystems. All the apps you buy on iPhone, you will also need to buy on iPad, which you will also need to buy on the mac.

    The new dev kit for HP/Palm devices (which I'm hoping is implied) is resolution-agnostic (I think that was the term they used), so hopefully that will mean that one, single development cycle for an app will be able to span multiple (possibly an ever-growing list of) devices. That is what is what really intrigues me.

    As a personal example, and as I've read many people have experienced this, purchasing an app (more specifically certain games) on the Pre, did not carry over to the Pixi when switching devices. I certainly was not going to pay twice for the same app, but which resided on different devices.

    Kind of goes with the same principle of purchasing music, movies, books, etc. you buy once, but can play it pretty much anywhere, no need to purchase multiple copies for different places...

    I think that is what will set webOS apart from iOS.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    the thing that gets me with Apple's current implementation is that all their devices are separate ecosystems. All the apps you buy on iPhone, you will also need to buy on iPad, which you will also need to buy on the mac.

    The new dev kit for HP/Palm devices (which I'm hoping is implied) is resolution-agnostic (I think that was the term they used), so hopefully that will mean that one, single development cycle for an app will be able to span multiple (possibly an ever-growing list of) devices. That is what is what really intrigues me.

    As a personal example, and as I've read many people have experienced this, purchasing an app (more specifically certain games) on the Pre, did not carry over to the Pixi when switching devices. I certainly was not going to pay twice for the same app, but which resided on different devices.

    Kind of goes with the same principle of purchasing music, movies, books, etc. you buy once, but can play it pretty much anywhere, no need to purchase multiple copies for different places...

    I think that is what will set webOS apart from iOS.
    Not true! Most iOS apps cross over, some just haven't been optimized to work on different devices. What you had on an iPhone might not work well in an iPad and vice/versa.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  11. #11  
    Go to Apple! Buy your iPad 2. Buy your iPhone 5. I'm over it

    Stop pretending like the iPhone has changed a ton in the last 4 years.

    It hasn't.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sed51329 View Post
    Go to Apple! Buy your iPad 2. Buy your iPhone 5. I'm over it

    Stop pretending like the iPhone has changed a ton in the last 4 years.

    It hasn't.
    You really need to stop being mad at people that use different devices and os's.

    If everyone wanted or needed the same thing, the world would be pretty damn boring.


    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    But the "gesture system" is going the way of the dodo. Haven't you been paying attention?

    Who'd like another helping of anti-innovation?

    ME PLEASE!!!!!! Can I get a Pre with a rotary dial?!?! YEAH!
    Please check this thread for a detailed discussion of gestures and the TouchPad UI. They are not eliminating the "gesture system"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

    ...1. The notion that they are "going to do away with the gesture area" is baseless and likely to be wrong. In fact, every product manager I spoke with said the opposite - this is a design choice specific to the touchpad, primarily because of the amount of screen available.
  14. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby71 View Post
    Like the iphone ever really changed through the years?????????????????
    The iphone was a a success from the beginning. What to change? The Pre? Well we know the story there. An OS with amazing potential and hardware that sucked. And what does HP do? More Pres.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT

Posting Permissions